xisto Community
Webber

Weapons In Society A Quick Look At Weapons In Todays Youth Culture

Ever since civilisations were formed many thousands of years ago man has had to deal with individuals and groups of people raising problems through illegal and immoral ac-tion, and today is no change. With weapons such as the knife costing as little as one pound and available from just about any local shop it?s no surprise that we are faced with the issues and concerns that we have in today?s society. So, to begin with we must define what a weapon is. A weapon is an implement or tool that can cause bodily harm or damage when used in an aggressive manor. Wikipedia de-fines a weapon as ?a tool which can be used during combat to kill or , to destroy property, or to otherwise render resources non-functional or unavailable. It may be used to attack and defend, and consequently also to threaten. The use of weapons has been recorded since the advent of cave painting, and the process has been formulated resulting in both martial arts and strategic doctrines?. So with a broad mind to weapons, we can begin to look at what is more commonly used in today's society, and what implications this has on us. It?s safe to say that in the UK at the moment knife crime is the most dominant type of weapon motivated attack, although having said that gun crime within the United Kingdom is also increasing rapidly. So, with anything as small as a penknife concealed in a coat pocket right the way up to a submachine gun openly visible around somebody's neck it?s no surprise that we as a free-style club take every measure to ensure all our training is based partly around defeating an armed adversary. The honest truth is that there isn?t really much that can be done to crack down on this type of crime. Man has used weapons ever since the ?caveman? era and man will continue to use weapons until we are extinct. Governments try to beat the problem with weapon amnesties and more heavily armed police officers, but this is a small effort when you consider how many knives you have in your kitchen draw right now, and how easily you could slip one into your pocket on the way out the door. The truth be told, if your stupid enough to use a weapon, then you will be able to, and usually with considerable ease. The main problem is that people just aren?t educated enough on gun crime and knife crime. In 68% of all cases [independent source] a stabbing is simply ?accidental?. It?s all about image. A knife is drawn to intimidate the adversary. One thing leads to another, and before you know were you are, the attacker panics and takes a swing or the adver-sary falls onto the knife. Either way it?s not usually intentional, how ever it is the power that is received by the holder that drives these people to go to such measures. It is almost impossible to stop those more determined attackers. For the type of people that take a weapon or especially prepare a firearm there is nothing that we can do other than remain vigilant, because the odds of uncovering this is almost nil. As for spur of the moment attackers, we can prevent this. When you feel your self heating up, simply remove yourself from a situation. If you do go to grab something, drop it or smash it against a wall or table, not the head of the guy that you?ve just had an argu-ment with. The basic fact is that it is highly illegal, and in the UK for instance you will receive a 5 year minimum sentence now for just carrying a knife. The only thing we can advise is that you leave the knife at home. It doesn?t make you hard and it doesn?t make you tough. The home truth is a simple one, if you carry a knife, you can not use it, if you do you will be spending a greater part of your life in prison. If you draw it , you stand to spend at least 5 years of your life behind bars. Is it really worth that? If you are one that enjoys fighting, or finds your self in similar situations quite often, do not coward back to using weapons. Stick to martial arts as a source of self defence. Even if you use the knife in self defence, you are still liable to be charged for carrying an illegal weapon. We can make a difference in today?s society if we choose to be a part of it. Do not re-spond to knife crime by taking one with you, because you are adding to the problem. It is not necessary, and it causes more hurt and frustration than you can imagine. If you choose to draw a knife out, then ultimately you are choosing to kill somebody. Picture somebody you love, and now picture them being stabbed to death. Feel that emotion you would feel. Not very nice is it? Don?t be a mug - leave the knife at home.-- Just a little something to think about. The article it's self is heading for our website, but we thought we'd just stick it on here.. just to maybe inspire some responses reguarding knife crime.

Actually, (attempted) murders or "More serious wounding or other act endangering life" crime is going down:

Posted Image

Possession of weapons is down by 2% from last year

Posted Image

Those are the official fixed statistics from the Home Office.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/crime-statistics

You can't stop knife crime by telling people to leave weapons at home. I bet if you were REALLY angry with someone you'd contemplate killing them and if you were weak-minded then that's what you would do and without a second thought to it either. People don't think about consequences when they're angry, which is why educating people won't work as effectively.

Also, if you were walking in a notoriously dangerous place at night time, you'd probably want to take something like a knife to arm yourself for defensive reasons - I know I would.

The main problem is that people just arent educated enough on gun crime and knife

crime. In 68% of all cases [independent source] a stabbing is simply accidental. Its all

about image. A knife is drawn to intimidate the adversary. One thing leads to another,

and before you know were you are, the attacker panics and takes a swing or the adver-

sary falls onto the knife.Either way its not usually intentional, how ever it is the power

that is received by the holder that drives these people to go to such measures.

That's not an accident, that's carelessness. It's only an accident if its both unintended and unexpected. If person A is waving a knife at person B, its not unexpected that person B is going to get cut by that knife. An accident would be more like if the machines at the knife factory malfunctioned suddenly and exploded, making the knives fly through the air and stab people... and even then, we're assuming that nobody knew that there was a problem with the machines beforehand.

Anyway, it'd be nice if we could stop assaults by telling would-be assailants not to stab people. We could also tell would-be rapists, thieves, and murderers not to go rape, burgle and murder people, and remind them of the consequences of doing these things. But people know that they aren't supposed to be doing these things already, so I don't think that reminding them how bad it is will do much. The people who do these things are aware of the consequences, but they either don't care or are in too much of a frenzy to stop and think. Yeah, the best thing would be for them to leave their knife at home, I certainly won't argue with that. I'm just not entirely sure that people are willing to listen, since it seems that they've already been told at least once.

i think that owning a weapon is something to do with fact that if you aren't allowed something, it makes you want it more. As weapons aren't allowed, people want them more and so more people have access to using a weapon to hurt somebody. Which, when you think about it, is pretty pathetic.

Weapons of any sort will exist forever. Everybody knows that. If humans could not feel physical or emotionalpain, then weapons would not have been invented. The purpose of a weapon is to cause physical and/oremotional pain. A person being stabbed is feeling physical pain, and the family and friends of the victimare feeling emotional pain. The problem is that pain would stop intentional attacks, but accidents would beon the rise as the lack of physical pain means that people would not know that things could hurt them.

I personally think someone should gather an army and destroy every modern weapons factory. EVERY ONE...and then the labs for weapons research, and then the weapons themselves, and then the missiles, the nukes, the tanks, the subs, the planes, and finally the weapons of the army itself. And then hire a load of blacksmiths and equip them with swords, pikes, siege weapons :P

then,xecute all weapons scientists and weapons factory owners (heck, they are the real murderers anyway)

and finally pass a law forbidding anyone to research weapons, or to make saltpetre ( the white powder neccesary to make gunpowder)

weapons will always exist, but what humanity can do is make sure that the weapons in question are more likely to kill soldiers than civilians. For what medieval army that wasnt commanded by an evil bastard killed civilians? look at saladin's army...one of the most fierce medieval armies in the world, but how many prisoners did saladin kill? One. Uno. Reynauld de Chatillion...he may have killed more i dont know, but not very many at all...whatever, the majority of the men he killed were not prisoners or civilians, but enemy soldiers who's business it was to fight.

compare that with today - every single modern military operation, whether its carried out by a democratic "good" country or not, is bound to kill civilians when they shoot off their bombs and missiles.

and now think....we have the united nations, democracy, moral values... no tyrannical regime is ever looked on favourably...imagine how little civilians would die in wars, imagine how little wars there would be if you kept the moral values/united nations/democracy of modern society, and took away the guns and modern weapons of modern society :(

I personally think someone should gather an army and destroy every modern weapons factory. EVERY ONE...and then the labs for weapons research, and then the weapons themselves, and then the missiles, the nukes, the tanks, the subs, the planes, and finally the weapons of the army itself. And then hire a load of blacksmiths and equip them with swords, pikes, siege weapons :P

then,xecute all weapons scientists and weapons factory owners (heck, they are the real murderers anyway)

and finally pass a law forbidding anyone to research weapons, or to make saltpetre ( the white powder neccesary to make gunpowder)

weapons will always exist, but what humanity can do is make sure that the weapons in question are more likely to kill soldiers than civilians. For what medieval army that wasnt commanded by an evil bastard killed civilians? look at saladin's army...one of the most fierce medieval armies in the world, but how many prisoners did saladin kill? One. Uno. Reynauld de Chatillion...he may have killed more i dont know, but not very many at all...whatever, the majority of the men he killed were not prisoners or civilians, but enemy soldiers who's business it was to fight.

compare that with today - every single modern military operation, whether its carried out by a democratic "good" country or not, is bound to kill civilians when they shoot off their bombs and missiles.

and now think....we have the united nations, democracy, moral values... no tyrannical regime is ever looked on favourably...imagine how little civilians would die in wars, imagine how little wars there would be if you kept the moral values/united nations/democracy of modern society, and took away the guns and modern weapons of modern society :(

It sounds like a great idea, but the problem is that laying down all our weapons will never happen.

In war, people will always want more advanced weapons than the enemy. Even if everybody went

back to medieval times in terms of weapons, in the future, we still would come back to the same

state.

There is also the problem that somebody will come and attack us after we have laid all our weapons down.

We have to keep our current weapons and make sure that they stay powerful. The trick is to only use them

to uphold justice. A person is evil when they use a weapon against somebody or something for some other reason

than upholding justice.

The only real solution to long lasting peace is gradual. We have to take future technology and make sure that

it doesn't go in the wrong hands.

For example: The United States Government wants to be the first to have weapons in outer space. Other

countries don't trust the US.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to make sure that nobody gets weapons in space. That way, nobody

feels threatened.

Who knows how long it will take. Ten years, fifty years, a hundred years, a thousand years. Whenever we get as

close to peace as possible, I hope that children of the future will look at our history books and think how

much of war-hawks the people of today and the past are.

There isn't really a way to get rid of weapons, anything can be a weapon. People can chuck pennies at your head, modify a water gun to shoot pepper spray, they can steal things from law enforcement, chuck speakers or anything can be turned into a projectile. Cars can run you over, guns and knives I guess are just quicker. People want protection, some people won't go to bed at night without a gun in the house, getting rid of that gun by banning them will get some other type of protection item. Crime is done because people have gotten lazy or want to look bad but it is going down. It isn't because people aren't educated, they know how to use the gun, the knife, and it's pretty obvious it can hurt someone, that's why they have it. They want to have it for protection against someone or to use to harm/threaten someone. It's just the way people are that crimes are committed and there are no ways to stop them unless we all live in a bubble world.

There isn't really a way to get rid of weapons, anything can be a weapon. People can chuck pennies at your head, modify a water gun to shoot pepper spray, they can steal things from law enforcement, chuck speakers or anything can be turned into a projectile. Cars can run you over, guns and knives I guess are just quicker. People want protection, some people won't go to bed at night without a gun in the house, getting rid of that gun by banning them will get some other type of protection item. Crime is done because people have gotten lazy or want to look bad but it is going down. It isn't because people aren't educated, they know how to use the gun, the knife, and it's pretty obvious it can hurt someone, that's why they have it. They want to have it for protection against someone or to use to harm/threaten someone. It's just the way people are that crimes are committed and there are no ways to stop them unless we all live in a bubble world.

Very true. We can get rid of weapons, but we cannot get rid of war. You can see this in America's maximum
security prisons. A maximum security prison isn't like any other prison. Any thing that could be used as a weapon
has been removed or welded to something to prevent prisoners from breaking out.

The creative mind of a human can do either great good things or great bad things. Unfortunately, some use it for the bad.

As Albert Einstein once said:

War will not stop until people themselves refuse to fight

People will always find a reason to fight, the only thing we can do about it is try to control it and handle
it in a respectful and safe way.

As long as human beings exist, there will be all sorts of violence. Robbers will prey on weak-looking victims. There will be war. Somebody out there will be working on the net great weapon (for personal/civilian or military use).If you destroy every weapon on earth - every gun, knife, crossbow, bomb, nuke, et cetera - then people will go after each other with sharpened sticks, or rocks or even their bare hands. You can't destroy ALL of the tools that we need in our modern society, either. Violent criminals will turn to tire irons, or maybe baseball bats...whatever they can find, really.That is, of course, assuming that you REALLY managed to destroy ALL of the "real weapons." It's not like simply making them illegal will discourage criminals from acquiring and using them. The big problem with taking away weapons is that it leaves law-abiding citizens with fewer means of self-defense. Take away guns and we'll have to defend ourselves with knives. Take away knives and we'll have to defend ourselves with billy clubs. Take away billy clubs and...you get the idea. Meanwhile, the criminals still have guns, knives, billy clubs, et cetera.

How the heck do people see weapons these days ?? What is the purpose of weapons these days ?? Kill other people.. Has it become a new pass time activity ? And what happiness do people derive by killing others ? Sounds absurd and i really do not know how and why some governemnts even allow guns to be bought by any citizen who is over 18.

in my country , there is licensing to get for a citizen to hold a gun. That has a significant impact i guess. I have not seen a pistol in my life. All i have seen is a riflle which i test fired at an ncc camp. i did not even get to know about the name of that
rifle. Apart from that, i have not seen anyone possessing a gun either (ofcourse, i am speaking about normal citizens who are not cops or any high posted government officials),

Take a look at this comic illustration.

calvin_hobbes1.jpg

That pretty much says a lot by itself isn't it.

What do young guys do when we have so many violent games and movies offered to us in the society. You get inspired by someone in real life , or some game or atleast some movie , and go and hold up a gun.

Especially after this news about Virginia Tech shootout, which did make me feel like puking at that Cho who must be a (*censored content*), i felt the United startes gun laws might be changed. Has any change been effected ?? We can learn by practice, or We can learn form mistakes. But what if we refuse to learn either way ??

Weapons are possibly one of the most ugliest creations of human, and these days it has become more of a blame game. It is really a situation where everyone says, "The others have it, why not me for my self defense ??" This seems to be the hold of the people who use weapons. Be it the government or a normal citizen..

Wouldn't it be nice to see governments abolishing all the weapons being manufactured. Can't the United Nations step in and take such an action ?? I really feel bad for the soldiers. The reward for te patriotism they show for their country might be eventually death. This seems more than wicked to me. With due respect to soldiers battling for the country, what is the logic behind demolishing lives of each other countries ?? Why do people fail to realize this on a large scale ?

I can go on asking thousands of questions and expressing my disbelief about gun laws these days and also wars taking place. i really thank the author if tis thread for starting it.

I am really concerned about this.. So here is a small quote which i thought of ,from my side regarding weapons ... dunno whether it is good, but hope it carries the message across..

I am Hoping weapons become extinct before human race does !!!!
--- Arun Prakash.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)