xisto Community
FolkRockFan

I Need Keyboard Advice Ergonomic keyboard for my Mom

My Mom really wants an ergonomic keyboard. Back in the day - as in, when Win98 was the latest OS - she had Microsoft's version. Piece of junk - we burned through two of those stupid things before we figured out how cruddy they are.I like Belkin's input devices. In fact, I'm using one of their ergonomic keyboards right now. It's a good model for the price (under 35 bucks online - can't remember exactly where, though). But, I want to see if anybody has any better recommendations before I make any suggestions to Mom.So...any ideas? :P

how funky-looking is your ergonomic keyboard? :P what i use is an "A-shape" key layout designed for anti-RSI (anti-repetitive strain injury) by A4 Tech. the way it looks is with the keys not normally square-shaped as the conventional keyboards. the keys are somehow slanted, with left-hand keys slanting to the right, and vice-versa for the right-hand keys -- forming an "A-shape" key layout like this: / \

how your fingers & wrists are positioned when typing with a traditional keyboard layout can be illustrated here:

Posted Image

with the "A-shape" design, this is how your fingers & wrists are positioned:

Posted Image

download & experience A-shape 1:1 keyboard layout (click on image):

Posted Image

see how your fingers & wrists will react with the image above. :D the whole keyboard is not malformed the least (it remains rectangular), not like how other so-called ergonomic keyboards are shaped, usually bent oddly. where to buy? just search google for "anti-RSI keyboards", and shop for availability and best pricing.

Hi, I had been feeling the pain from repetative use as well, and have been getting pain in my wrists for a while now, because I spend all day on the computer. My mousing hand was the worst affected, but I ordered myself a wacom tablet with a pen which has helped incredibly for that wrist. It only took a couple of days using it (and about a day to get used to it, cause it's a bit of a challenge right off the bat, but then becomes second nature :P), and I was basically pain free in my worst wrist, that would often prevent me from working. If the keyboards don't help or you find it is primarily your mousing hand, then you might want to give a tablet a try, cause I couldn't dream of living without mine now, since it's been like a blessing to my wrist. Only problem is the price. I wanted to get a good one, so that I could do my work without a problem, so that's why I decided to pay the extra money for a wacom tablet, because from what I've heard they are the best. I have no regrets of getting it, other than I didn't get it earlier.I'm still thinking about getting an ergonomic keyboard, but I haven't done that yet because the need just isn't there like it used to be, but I'd stil like to so that I don't have the same problems return slowly without my knowing. I figure prevention is probably good in cases like this.

My keyboard is the split, weird looking beast with the hump *grins* I love it:

Posted Image

I like the A shape style keyboard, though. It looks comfortable. And only one spacebar instead of my split one! Hey...I just might buy that for myself and let Mom have this one *grins*

Folk, the picture he posted I have seen that keyboard before It is said to be more comfortable or something like that.I do not really understand what you question is so you want to find a good comfortable keyboard or something?

Folk, the picture he posted I have seen that keyboard before It is said to be more comfortable or something like that.I do not really understand what you question is so you want to find a good comfortable keyboard or something?

I'm trying to feel out the different types of ergonomic keyboards. I've always used this type, but my Mom wants to know what else is out there before she buys one just like mine. By "other types" I mean ergonomic keyboards that would be suitable for lots of typing. Mom writes, sends e-mails, etc. She's not a gamer, for example, so the gaming style keyboards are already off the list :P

Depending on how far you are willing to go with this, you could get a Dvorak keyboard. It puts the letters in a different order to make it easier to type with, as the Qwerty layout was designed to slow people down and stop them typing quickly. The Dvorak layout was made to make typing easier, faster and less painful. The layout takes a bit of getting used to, but once you learn it then its much easier. Search on eBay for one, they're pretty cheap (around 50p plus P+P).

NahYou don't even need to go buy a new keyboard to switch to Dvorak.Windows has the software for Dvorak layouts built right in, I just converted my precious G15 to Dvorak last night.All you'd have to do is rearrange the keys after you make the switch, you can do it all for free and in like 5 minutes.I'm liking the Dvorak myself, but I'm not used to it quite yet, just wanted to point out that the switch is easy and really fast.On another note, I never noticed how pretty the G15 is until I've been forced to stare at it while I type XD