xisto Community
Norrad

Chinese Medicine Has anyone tried it?

Has anyone tried Chinese medicine?On a recent trip to Hong Kong, I was introduced to Chinese Herbal medicine. I took a wrong turn and ended up in the herbal medicine centre near central Hong Kong. At first I was very put off by the vast array of strange creepy crawlies and other weird things but my curiosity got the best of me and I asked one of the shops to create a tonic for me.The doctor first examines you and then tells you the basics about what could be wrong with you, he then tells you the cause and recommends a cure, usually in the form of a tonic.My tonic seemed very off-puting at first (It had a ground up scorpion in it :P ) but I must admit I've never felt better in my life. I've felt very lethargic for the past few months, but since drinking that tonic, I've felt as though I'm full of energy all the time.So if anyone else has had any run ins with Chinese medicine, then please post your experiences.

Edited by Norrad (see edit history)

I squashed up scorpian Aye? Well that is very interesting. It reminds me of bee stings how they are said to cure anything? Did it taste good?

I have to admit I didn't really taste it, I blocked my nose and gulped it back :P It had a really weird after-taste though. Stayed with me for hours.

I never personally used it but i know a friend that did, it never really helped him, we have a chinese medical centre in town, that gives you all kinds of herbs etc. and he said to be honest it was a waste of money. However i know somebody else that used some chinese medicines for sleeping and he said they really helped, maybe it depends what the illness is and how your body works...

I have never tried any chinese medicine, dont think i never will. Cause i live in the United States and i have not seen them use it yet. But i have heard of it, and i think the most famous in the Acupuncture. Has anybody here done that? If you have does it hurt and does it actually work. I have heard that it does work and doesnt really hurt though.

I have never tried any Chinese medicine, don't think i never will. Cause i live in the United States and i have not seen them use it yet. But i have heard of it, and i think the most famous in the Acupuncture. Has anybody here done that? If you have does it hurt and does it actually work. I have heard that it does work and doesn't really hurt though.

I've watched a lot of testimonials on TV features about acupuncture and one of those I've heard is that it ain't that painful. A documentary explained that they use needles much finer than sewing needles. Exactly how fine, I have no idea but it's apparently fine enough to cause only minimal pain :P

My sister went for accupuncture to help with weight loss. She said it was completely painless and it helped her very much.I personally wouldn't do it as I am one of the biggest babies in the world. I hate needles and would probably pass out once the first one touches me. I aint nobodies "Pin cushion" :P

I've had some amazing results with Chinese medicine, particularly acupuncture. Last year, I started to experience anxiety on a frequent basis, for the first time in my life. My heart would pound and I found myself in a panic about fairly common, non-critical things. When my friend suggested acupuncture, I thought the same thing as the last poster... "I am nobody's pincushion!"Thankfully, my friend talked me into a free consultation with her acupuncturist, who happened to be the assistant dean of a Chinese medicine school here in Los Angeles. As someone who has always been afraid of needles, I was petrified. IBut I trusted the doctor (a key factor in anyone's selection of a treatment provider of any kind) and decided to give it a try. The needles are so thin that you can barely feel them. Did I mention that I was always a big baby when it came to needles? Ah, yes. BIG baby. Yet acupuncture was a piece of cake. The doctor inserted about 15 needles that day and I lay resting in the treatment room, listening to peaceful music, for about 20 minutes. I just took deep breaths and relaxed... probably the closest thing to meditation that I've ever experienced. When she came back to remove the needles, I was almost sorry that it had to end. Over the course of the next few days, I noticed my anxiety was greatly reduced. I went back for treatment once a week for about two months and felt a profound difference in my life - that annoying anxious feeling was all but gone. I now go there 'when I need it' but would still be going on a weekly basis if my insurance company was progressive enough to cover alternative medicine.So, IMHO, if traditional medicine isn't working and/or you're open-minded enough to try something new, get over your fear of the unknown and give acupuncture a try. It just might help you get over a physical problem that's been plaguing you for way too long.

Traditional Chinese Medicine

Chinese Medicine

Replying to Norrad

I had the opportunity to study Traditional Chinese Medicine at TonRenTang Pharmacy and at Beijing University a couple of years ago. I use Traditional Chinese Medicinals for a variety of conditions and it is steeped in history and tradition.

I utilize combinations that act on the same meridians as acupuncture making it Herbal Acupuncture...Herbs instead of needles. My clients who are not "needle friendly" appreciate this very much. My website is http://www.naturalremedies4less.com/.

-reply by Dr. Carol Rossetti

Western medicine should to fall from his pedestal, currently, in europe, every discipline must be approved by western medicine who decides which one is "scientific" and which one is not.But western medicine is far from giving an answer to all health problems expecially when we talk about diseases of mind that probably will be the illness more difficult to treat and to understand of this century.The reason is that western medicine considers the body as a sum of single parts and studies them to understand how the body works.Life is such a complex system that is reasonable to consider that the "state of the art" of current medicine is not enough to explain all and should take inspiration from others traditional medicines to really improve his understanding.Currently I am trying to learn Kiaido which takes inspiration from Chinese and Tibet medicine to heal with body energy which comes from sound and other practises.

I can't tell you anything about acupuncture thats for sure... But I can tell you experiences on many types of traditional chinese medicines...When I don't feel well, what I normally would do is just stay at home, but if the condition gets worse, maybe some panadol to help ease whatever is making me sick. But if that fails, I go to the cupboard and in the back of it, some traditional Chinese herbs that my parents' brought back from their trips to China..Anyways, there are mainly three types of medicine. One is where you mix with boiling water and slowly drink down (extremely bitter! which is why you have to drink it with very hot water to numb the effects of the bitterness), the next is where you break open the seal (usually wax covering a plastic seal) and inside a small ball of ground up herbs and stuff... which you can either eat it whole or make it into smaller fragments and eat them with hot water... And the third is where you use it as a spice almost, rare because not as fast-working as the other two, when you cook food, you just put a bit of the medicine into the food, and eat it...I have tried all of them, although very bitter, works very fast and works very well...

Chinese medicine generally tastes horrible because they don't add sugar and chemicals into the medicine to make it taste better. However, it works well and does not have side effects because it's all natural herbs. I usually take Chinese medicine for sore throat, colds, coughs, diarrhea and other sicknesses that are not too serious. However, if I have infections, I'll go to the western doctor for antibiotics, because from my experience with Chinese medicine, it can work pretty slowly.

UI personally think that its great, ive got a badknee(among other issues) and the last time I had a blow out, I visited an apothocary. He asked me what the problem was, i told him and he whipped up a cream/goop, that lower the inflammation and reduced the pain within minutes. As per the idea that it depends on what you have and how your body works affecting the "cure", I think that that does play a part, but at the same time you must be recepticve of it workng, and open your mind, doubt will cause failure in most cases. "Think and live as if" is the best way to describe it, if your mind is projecting positive images (optimism) you shall see only the good happening as with the opposite, think bad, feel bad and enter the downward spiral of pessimism.