xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

Power Supply Unit (psu) Computer restarting while playing games

I have read in a lot of forums about the importance of this component. And with regards to my problem of the computer restarting while playing games, this could very well be the reason but I can't confirm anything. When I bought my graphics card Winfast A6200 TD, a minimum of 400w output was needed from the psu and that was I had. But is the psu actually causing the problem of my computer restarting? That the psu does not have enough power to handle the functions of the graphics card? I was playing PES 6 (Pro Evolution Soccer 6) and everything seemed fine until it suddenly hanged and then in a few seconds, the computer restarted. Can anyone else troubleshoot this problem?

From my experience if the Power supply unit doesn't output enough power then the your computer will not run as good and will lag alot. (Found this out when I replaced a 10 year old video card with a 5 year old one, the newer one was twice as slow because it used too much power). I learned in my CISCO class that if the mother board is cracked (microscopically) then when it gets heated up the cracks will widen and the electricity cannot pass through the wires and crash the computer. The motherboard can crack when the computer is put together unprofessionally. If there are not enough stubs under the motherboard to keep it straight when the CPU is clipped onto it then the bending of the mother board can cause the cracks; however, I do not know how to test this other than find another way to heat up the motherboard without excersizing your computer (I.E. heater to the computer while in idle), I have never troubleshooted this before though. If your computer is from a major manufacturer it is likely this is not the problem, but if it was custom built or modified it could be. I hope this works for you, good luck.

I do not think this is the problem I am actually facing because when I upgraded my graphics card, a professional fixed it up for me so there shouldn't be such problems you are mentioning. I am just wondering whether the computer would crash if the PSU output power is not enough for the Graphics card? Lets say for my case; the PSU output power is 400W while the Graphics Card minimum power is 400W, any sort of overpowering by the graphics card would cause my computer to restart automatically? I have realised when I changed the settings of my graphic card not to render too much details, it has not crashed at all. I just need to double confirm whether this is the actual issue before I buy another PSU, definitely one which can supply more power to the motherboard.

A computer will automatically shut off when it isn't getting enough power. There are all sorts of problems that could occur if components aren't getting their required power, so most motherboards will have their BIOS turn the PC off if the voltage drops too low or there isn't enough power. Turning the detail down on your card means it isn't working as hard, so draws less power. The other possibility is that it is generating too much heat - another reason that your PC will turn itself off. There are a few free applications on the 'net (can't remember their names, just run a search) that can tell you.

Is it safe to assume the solution to my problem would be to purchase a new PSU which is able to generate more power for my components such as my graphics card? I have been using this PSU for the past 5 years now, and as with all computer products, as time passes, so does the credibility of the component, they get lousier and lousier, wear off as I would call it.

There maybe more reasons why your computer is restarting while playing games...Per-experience... usually its with the PSU but not all.Before upgrading your Vcard, are you having the same problem? if not then maybe the PSU can't provide enough power... MAYBE! But, look closely on your new Vcard, does it have a so powerful GPU? If yes then look on its heat sink and fan... do you think it can discharge the heat efficiently?I bought a few FX series vcard 2 years ago and realized the cheaper brands got thinner heat sinks and smaller fans... result, pc restarts when the GPU gets very hot so i bought the PALIT brand (still FX series) which has better cooling systems and solved the problem.Are you on AGP or on a PCI-e board? The unseen mistake of AGP is that it wasn't realized that sooner or later VCards will be having Power Hungry GPUs which the AGP Slot cannot provide. This resulted in fried mobos. So we had the PCI-e which fixed the problem and gave us the new 24pin power connector.

Finally I have got a reply to my problem. Okay, before upgrading the graphics card, I have never had any case of my computer restarting while playing games. I am using the Leadtek Winfast A6200 TD. I am not very savvy with hardware, so I don't really understand the terms you are talking about. And again, I do not understand what is an AGP or PCI-e board, please enlighten me so I can troubleshoot the problem. On a side note, I bought this computer way back in 2002, so it has been around for 5 days. Not sure I will be sticking with him any longer, maybe I will be purchasing a Mac once I have enough cash to do so.

why is it that when i am going to download my pc will restart?

Power Supply Unit (psu)

This forum will help a lot for those who have problem wz their pc

With regards to my problem

Every time when I'm going to download my pc restart

Also during the time when I'm surfing the net it will

Suddenly close. Sometimes when I open control panel

Suddenly my pc frez..

I am using AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Hdd 120

Ram 1gb

Vcard NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT wz 256mb

To all pros pls help me with my problem