xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcreuter

Laptop Or Desktop?

wich do u have?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the moment I currently have just a desktop but soon I should get a laptop. Which is better really depends on your needs. If you're a gamer the desktop is a more ideal choice, especially due to the ease of upgrading. Many laptops have a lot of issues with upgrading, heat up quickly and aren't always the best when it comes to performance. On the other hand, if you are on the move a lot, whether you are a businessman or even a student it can be very convenient to have a laptop, actually necessary for most cases. The pros very quickly outweigh the cons and if you are willing to shell out a considerable amount of cash you could get a laptop that might make you forget the pros of a desktop altogether. It can't be said enough that laptops are like a little revolution. Mobility and convenience in todays modern world is priceless. I can't say which is better outright though. Maybe like I said it just depends on the user.

To be honest, nowadays laptops are so good, there is little need for a desktop for day-to day use.#Only those who want DEDICATED power for individual purposes such as HDTV editing (for standard video editing a fairly recent laptop is more than enough anyway. This is because they are so good nowadays.And the apple mac laptops are more powerful enough to allow hi-tech audio peeps to do their work that requires studio equipment, without having to have a large destop in that room as well. I'm typing this on a laptop in the sitting room right now... If I had a desktop I couldn't sit on the comfy sofa.. Who would not want that!!! :lol:Yes, for mega expandability a desktop is better, but seriously, with the huge range and customiseability of laptops, which everyday user actually needs this. I can just plug something else into a card bay... more firewire ports fine. External audigy audio firewire soundcard, got it. more hard drive; fine. firewire it into me.more power. Fit me some more RAM. Games; a new laptop can tackle the new and all old games perfectly well (with everything on high settings as well). The versatility of a laptop is so, so, so, so much better. Honestly, there are very few things a desktop computer would be wanted for nowadays.I would say laptop all the way for me, or if you can afford it, both.Get the best of both worlds.Have you looked at the price of high-end desktops nowadays...? ?2000 for a reasonably decent one. The price of laptops has fallen considerably close to desktops (performance compared) Due to the huge demand by consumers.

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

I have desktop and I'll buy a laptop maybe next summer ... so the laptop is the best I can use it where ever I go!!

I bought a laptop because I was living on campus but came home a lot. I needed to work on papers and such even though I was at home with my family, so being able to easily bring my computer along really made my life easier.Now that I'm back home and commuting to school, I'm not taking the laptop along with me as much. I still like it, though, because it takes up less room on my desk. I'm not capable of upgrading the hardware myself (I can do that with a desktop, but not with a laptop), but that's a disadvantage that I was willing to take when I made my choice.Another advantage to the laptop is that I can still use a better monitor, keyboard and mouse than come with the computer :lol:The family computer is a desktop. That's great because there's a bigger desk in the living room, Mom and I can both upgrade the desktop if need be, et cetera. When I have to get myself a new computer, I might get a desktop. It depends on how portable I need the thing to be and how much money I have. Getting a desktop with the same specs as its laptop counterpart is still cheaper.

I also prefer laptops..... They are not as expensive as they used to be and look a whole lot better than most pc chassis (if you go for a really cool chassis, then the pc can almost cost as much as a desktop). Besides, the laptops have a really good monitor, its kind of expensive/hard to find a monitor with a resolution above 1440. So If you add portability and a whole lot of other features that laptops have.... you will soon see that they arent as expensive as they seem..... heck.. it might even be cheaper in the long run if you compare the energy that they both use..

I've gotta go with the desktop because it saves you money in the long run by allowing you to upgrade, something much more difficult in the laptop. I don't travel much so it works for me.

Laptops are simply good only if you want to travel,i have a laptop which i very rarely use at home or one can say almost never unless i need something from my laptop,laptop is simply for outdoor purpose at home why to go for a slower laptop then a fastre desktop,and it really feel good on desktop,its powerful ,less crashable and has a ton of other benefits ,laptops are only good on road ot u want to wotk sleeping on bed,orelse there is no use of laptops as one cannot even upgrade it ,but have to buy a new one ,whenever u want something more

I think it's good to have both a laptop and a desktop, however, the desktop should be your number one priority. Desktops don't have the same limits that laptops do on speed, and you can get a much better desktop for the price of a laptop. A desktop can be upgraded at will while a laptop will seldom get upgraded. Have fun trying to get a better video card for your laptop... about 99% of the time, you can't.Your desktop should be the mac daddy at home, and your laptop should be entertainment on the go (or maybe business or notes, ect) and should be bought with the remaining cash. For me it's just more comfotable to sit in my big fat chair with my wireless keyboard and mouse and play games from 10 feet away. I don't wanna hold the laptop in my lap till it gets sweaty, I just wanna relax and be able to run anything I throw at my desktop at full speed. Laptop batteries won't allow enough time for serious gaming anyway (unless you have some power plugs around you, but in that case, it's likely that you're not really mobilizing your laptop).

Edited by dre (see edit history)

Desktop for me although a laptop would be better for those who need it for business purposes or travel purposes. As mentioned, you can upgrade your desktop computer which is better in the long run. I see laptops as more of a secondary option for the reason mentioned above. I haven't had the need for one as of yet.

laptops are probably better, can take them around, otherwise just like desktop basically.

Let see I have a desk top (thats bout to go the way of the dodo) My Dell XPS laptop for everyday use and a Dell Desktop that my family uses. I also Have a broke down compaq laptop that I don't use any more, I should fix it and sell that thing. Of course By this summer I would have a customize ocmputer that I will be buliding myself, but I havn't figured out how much money I will sink into that bad boy :(.Like the majortiy of hte people, laptops have become more powerful in recent years to their cousins the Desktops, because of the fact they are more portable then desk tops. Of course PDA's have got some good power to them as well, but for someone like me I don't have a use for them and I disklike tiny screens and small key pads. My XPS can connect 5 different ways to access the net, but since I got WIFI the other 4 are pretty much useless, especially the 56k modem :lol:.I don't mind a desktop but when have been able to lay down in bed and surf the net with your desktop? unless you have a wireless keyboard and like a huge Monitor.Both are practical, but laptops or more convient for people due due to the protable factor that comes with it. Especially for those who do a lot of traveling, you can't be lugging around a desktop in your suit case, it would be unnecessary and it could break by the baggage handlers :lol:.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I have two desktops, I have my old one thats probaly 10 years old now and an old Gateway with windows 98 on it. Use that up until about November of last year when I got my new Dell desktop which is much better then it, which I'm sure all of y'all could guess, lol. I could have got a laptop but I wouldn't have much use for a laptop and just prefer having a desktop.

i have two laptops and two desktops, one of the desktops is messed up and the motherboard is burnt, will be buying a new motherboard for eighty bucks, the others..one laptop is in pieces..so only really one dektop and one laptop work at the moment...

Most people would disagree with me, but i dont care. I like desktops better. Let me tell you why.... desktops are relatively cheaper than laptops (a known fact) They usually are better equipded, and i dont know why I just liek them. Its betetr than laptops for sure. I never go on any bussiness trips or what not so i never need to take a laptop. Waste of money compared to what desktops cost. Alost internet signals are better on desktops...