xisto Community
Vain

What Do You Think Of Psychiatry

I dont like it I have a anger problem and I had to go but I ended up getting myself out by not taking ;) I hate phychiatrists myself but thats because they would always lie to me and say I said things I didn't say. They said I needed to go to anger management and was depressed and was showing early symptoms of MPS (Multiple personality Syndrome) The only one I did have was anger and I still have it, kinda odd because I was born with it. Or maybe it was some sort of genetical problem but it's better than it was. Otherwise than that I think that physchietry helps people but now you probably think I entirely hate them, I don't I just don't think it's a good thing for someone like me.

There is no person that knows you better than you know yourself. i don't see how they can be any help when they have no idea what you are and who you are. Anyone can be a physchiatrist (i don't rally know how to spell it) all you do is ask questions about whats bothering you than take some guesses at waht could be wrong.. i also saw this on a comedy show ;) where the patient made everything up. it was funny.

I dont like it I have a anger problem and I had to go but I ended up getting myself out by not taking ;) I hate phychiatrists myself but thats because they would always lie to me and say I said things I didn't say. They said I needed to go to anger management and was depressed and was showing early symptoms of MPS (Multiple personality Syndrome) The only one I did have was anger and I still have it, kinda odd because I was born with it. Or maybe it was some sort of genetical problem but it's better than it was.

Otherwise than that I think that physchietry helps people but now you probably think I entirely hate them, I don't I just don't think it's a good thing for someone like me.

Hello Vain. You are wise to be critical of the psychiatric profession or anyone who would seek to steal your individual spark. Putting yourself in the care of a allopathic doctor of any sort, psychiatric or physiological - is potentially putting yourself in harm's way.

Check this out: Every year conventional (also known as allopathic) doctors kill more people than auto accidents and guns. This is admitted in their own Journal of American Medical Association Journal (JAMA). In this journal they say that roughly 20% of folks who visit doctors will suffer some sort of doctor-related injury. Another 16% of folks who died in a hospitol died of something other than what they were admitted for - in other words - the doctor really had no idea what was wrong with the patient!! AND they admit, another 28% are admitted to the hospitol because they suffered an adverse reaction to a drug some doctor prescribed them. These are frightening statistics!

And every year, it seems, another new fangled psychiatric condtion is invented by these people, and the reasons are many.

The first is that it further justifies their parasitic existense. The sicker you stay, the more money they make. They don't make any money off healthy people. They'll create a some mental condtition to sucker in otherwise healthy people. Secondly, there is a deliberate "dumbing down" of society. When someone dares think for theselves or show any creativity, they are labled with, "Attention Deficit Disorder," or labled in need of "Anger Mangement" therapy. All that means is they're going to dope you up with enough drugs to where you can no longer think for yourself. You'll be a lot easier to control that way, and be a happy little worker bee for the state.

Vain, I don't see anything wrong with being angry sometimes. Should we all walk around like good little drones with plastic smiles painted on our faces? And you folks with depression: it's normal to feel down sometimes. Culture would force us to be happy all the time and that's just not realistic - or healthy. Sure makes a lot of money for the good people who push happy pills on the unsusecting.

Some people are just naturally melloncholic. Many of them are geniuses. But you can say goodbye to the genius when they start popping the happy pills the drug-pushing doctors would have them take.

In closing, Vain, I have a very dim view of any institution that would deny the individual the very essence which makes him unique. Run - don't walk, from anyone or anything that would force you to be like everyone else.

Psychiatry or Psychological sciences are quite useful , as far as i am concerned. It does help out people , who need it badly. Say for example, a person who decides to commit suicide. For him, a good psychiatrist could show a new world, where he could realize what life really can be ... I think the word psychiatry is wrongly perceived by many people. If you visit the psychiatrist ,Most of them could probably start assuming that , there might be something wrong with your mental health , .. or maybe m you are even mad .. That is the basic reason, why psychiatry is misunderstood , i guess.Maybe, we should start referring to psychiatrists as counselors , or by some other name,..

The first is that it further justifies their parasitic existense. The sicker you stay, the more money they make. They don't make any money off healthy people. They'll create a some mental condtition to sucker in otherwise healthy people. Secondly, there is a deliberate "dumbing down" of society. When someone dares think for theselves or show any creativity, they are labled with, "Attention Deficit Disorder," or labled in need of "Anger Mangement" therapy. All that means is they're going to dope you up with enough drugs to where you can no longer think for yourself. You'll be a lot easier to control that way, and be a happy little worker bee for the state.

Do you truly believe that all psychiatrists are out there to make you money and make you sicker? There are some good people left in the world. You sound paranoid. I show loads of creativity and think for myself, I'm not labeled with any psychological problems by anyone INCLUDING my psychologist. I know psychology and psychiatry are different, but in essence they are the same, to help you out with your mental problems.

And you folks with depression: it's normal to feel down sometimes. Culture would force us to be happy all the time and that's just not realistic - or healthy.

Anyone with depression or anyone who has had it, including myself, will tell you thats bull****. Its not normal to wake up wanting to kill yourself. Its not normal feeling so worthless and unloved. Its not normal having nightmares and dreams about death. Its not right. Its obvious to me that you've never went through any real psycological problem in your lifetime. Depression is not feeling down sometimes, its feeling down ALL the time.

Vain, I don't see anything wrong with being angry sometimes. Should we all walk around like good little drones with plastic smiles painted on our faces?

While I agree with you when you say we shouldn't be happy all the time, humans should have a wide range of emotions, who says he isn't angry all the time? I don't know whether he is or not but the people I've met that say they are angry since birth seem to be angry most of the time. Most people know that being angry only sometimes isn't a problem.

Psychology works for me and to say that psychiatrists use their patients for money only shows your own ignorance and paranoia.
Notice from jlhaslip:
According to this post, you should understand that suggesting someone is "paranoid", with tendencies towards "ignorance" is not a good thing.
Please don't flame others on the Forums. Thanks for your co-operation.

Hmm, I'm CERTAIN I posted an answer to this topic, but it seems to have disappeared. Weird. Well, it was quite detailed, and my new post isn't going to be anything like that, but here goes.. Hmm, it certainly is not natural to be depressed all the time, but at the same time, psychiatry doesn't really have all the answers, in my opinion. I think that while some types of depression that result from a chemical imbalance in the brain/delusions of worthlessness, etc. are indeed in the realm of psychiatry, others are not. For example, a person might be depressed because he or she feels they aren't getting a fair deal out of life. And they may well be right!! In which case, the sickness in not in the person, but perhaps in society, and far less easy to 'cure'. I've always been one to walk the path less-trodden - sometimes literally, as in deserts and mountains, at other times in the intellectual frontiers of the mind. And I'll tell you one thing - society does not like those who choose a 'strange' path to follow. And if a person is depressed or angry because of this, is the sickness within himself, or is it in the society around him? And if he chooses not to be 'adapted' to society, who is to say he is wrong? To an extent I was very depressed when I was young. And I found a cure for it that was not with the psychiatrists. I found a people who trained my body to such a zenith of perfection that the mind could not resist the feeling of incredible good health, and it succumbed to it, and the depression fell away like dry leaves. Lets face it, psychiatrists are human - and perhaps some of the reasons people are depressed lie not merely in the mind but in very real problems they might face. And while psychiatrists may have some of the answers, other answers lie within ourselves.

Do you truly believe that all psychiatrists are out there to make you money and make you sicker? There are some good people left in the world. You sound paranoid.

Don't interpret generalizations as anything but what they are, Ghostrider. And the fact there are "some good people left in the world" has absolutely nothin' to do with nothin,' and hardly diminishes the feasibility of my point. That is, the medical industry as a whole is not necessarily concerned with the well being, emotional or otherwise, of the individual. Sadly, it often comes down to the almighty dollar, and the individual (doctor and patient) gets swept up in the tail wind. Ssssswishhhh........

I show loads of creativity and think for myself, I'm not labeled with any psychological problems by anyone INCLUDING my psychologist.

Geeeeeez, can we all stop being on the defensive here? I'm getting a bit tired of walking on eggshells around fragile egos. Who said anything to question your creativity or ability to think? This is supposed to be a forum for intelligent debate, learning and conversation. I'm sure you're very creative, but I'm not here to build up egos, nor am I particularly interested in psychoanalyzing personal issues.

Anyone with depression or anyone who has had it, including myself, will tell you thats bull****.

Please refrain from demeaning my personal opinion. I have as much right to my viewpoint as you do yours.

Psychology works for me and to say that psychiatrists use their patients for money only shows your own ignorance and paranoia.

Please refrain from hurling personal attacks against me because you feel I don't share your opinion. I will continue to voice my viewpoint on this topic, and others like it. The fact is, fraud and abuse run rampant in the psychiatric industry, and you would be well advised to research the matter further, especially if you are currently undergoing "treatment." If you don't believe me, which you obviously don't, please consider visiting this site: http://www.freedommag.org/

Hmm, money does seem to be a force in medicine - I lost my brother recently, and our insurance couldn't cover the costs of his treatment, and the bills we paid for it have all but bankrupted my family. So yes, while I know there are a lot of compassionate and caring people in the various medical professions, no doubt about it, I feel money is a guardian spirit for some in the profession as well.

Now, in genuine cases of mental imbalance I'd say that psychiatrists definitely have a lot to offer a patient. On the other hand, I personally feel that many cases of depression result from an individual not getting a 'fair deal' from society in any one of a number of ways, and it seems strange just to treat the patient and to ignore the greater social ills that might actually be causing the depression.

In other words, the 'illness' of the individual might be a direct reflection of the fact that there are vast imbalances and great differences between rich and poor, privileged and unprivileged, in societies today. And that has to be treated by some brilliant economist or politician (um, did I say brilliant politician? Perhaps I should just settle for honest. Ow, then again perhaps I'm just asking for too much).

Personally I do think that if an individual wakes up every morning wanting to kill himself, and someone can actually help him and is qualified to do so, well, that's good, obviously. It's the money part that disturbs me. I distrust the whole 'money' system, that's the thing. Especially in professions like medicine where compassion, humanity and selflessness should be what rules, and some way found to make money irrelevant to the profession. To be a doctor should not be an 'occupation'; it should, to my mind, be almost a calling, as some people are called to serve their god. It should be a term that stands for service and not for earning.

I'm no doctor, but I've saved a lot of lives in the jungles of myanmar (burma) with a basic medical knowledge, the right drugs and by educating the people. And I was not paid, obviously. But it was still worth it. That is what I feel medical professions should be. Anyone who wants to read of a truly selfless doctor should read Tom Dooley's book 'On the Edge of Tomorrow.'

These are only my own simple personal opinions, nothing more, and no one knows more than I how ridiculous they are in the face of plain reality today, hehe. Take them with a pinch of salt.

Vbritton, I see you've raised a storm, as usual. That's why we like you :P Wasn't it Socrates who said he was the 'gadfly of Athens' and that the state needed him to awaken, persuade and reproach it, else it would cease to move. A pity the Athenians couldn't appreciate the point he was making, and executed him. We welcome Trap 17's own little satirical gadfly, vbritton :D . And I assure you I mean that as a compliment. If ye are not Socrates yet, O Storm-Bringer, ye are definitely getting there :D

We value the opinions of everyone here, and really, Trap 17 wouldn't be the same without people like you, so keep posting.

I believe that there are psychiatrists who don't do their job properly but that's no reason to criticize the profession in general. I'm hoping to one day become a psychiatrist who helps people and makes them change into a better and healthier person.By the way, how exactly would they lie to you and say what you didn't say? Sometimes saying things like "I hate my sister" isn't because you hate her, but because of how she makes you feel inferior, constantly betrays your trust, etc.

I believe that there are psychiatrists who don't do their job properly but that's no reason to criticize the profession in general. I'm hoping to one day become a psychiatrist who helps people and makes them change into a better and healthier person.

I believe that there are politicians who don't do their job properly, and you better believe I'll "criticize that profession in general" too. I think they refer to this attitude as "free speech." When an institution is inherently corrupt to begin with, the unfortunate consequence is a trickling down of that mentality to those who choose to work within it's parameters. I believe your goal is to help others, and that's an honorable aspiration. :P Just be aware of the medical industry's moral pitfalls, and strive to avoid being swallowed up by them - if not for yourself than for your hypothetical patients.

By the way, how exactly would they lie to you and say what you didn't say? Sometimes saying things like "I hate my sister" isn't because you hate her, but because of how she makes you feel inferior, constantly betrays your trust, etc.

Either this statement is completely incoherent, or I'm just not getting it. Someone, anyone, feel free to jump in and decipher this.

Well, I was as others called me a "troubled youth", though I'm guessing by someone's standards we all are... but that didn't stop them from putting me in weekly sessions with a psychiatrist for around a year... only problem I suppose is if I didn't see the problem, then I really don't think that there was any point in being there.All the time I heard, "maybe we should start you on 'such-and-such' medication, cause it would help you with your 'such-and-such of the week'." I'm guessing since I didn't say much to them, they had to keep trying to find a new diagnosis that would fit my "withdrawn personality" or whatever, which had nothing to do with me, but rather the fact that I was with them. I told them up front, I don't need meds, and there was no way I was going to take them. I like the person that I am, and if I can say that, then I think I'm leaps and bounds ahead of his 2 o'clock. Sometimes it was almost like the place got a kick-back from selling prescriptions, so hey, the more the merrier!It's bad... I suppose they can be a good place for some people if that's what they feel they need to do, but then there are just people like you and me that I don't think really need it. People aren't all built from one mold, and to subject people to try to conform to some unwritten (or probably text-book written) standards... that's just plain wrong in my books.

I believe that there are politicians who don't do their job properly, and you better believe I'll "criticize that profession in general" too.

I meant that the job isn't bad, its the people who are corrupt and ruin the name of that profession.

Also, I said that its no reason to in my opinion, not that you couldn't and I was trying to take away your free speech. :P

Either this statement is completely incoherent, or I'm just not getting it. Someone, anyone, feel free to jump in and decipher this.

The original poster said:

I hate phychiatrists myself but thats because they would always lie to me and say I said things I didn't say.

And so I said that sometimes a psychiatrist finds out what you are feeling by what you tell them. That's how they figure out what's wrong with a person. Some people are in denial and that makes the psychiatrist's job harder. :(

I meant that the job isn't bad, its the people who are corrupt and ruin the name of that profession.

Hi Cinnamoroll, thank you for clarifying your thoughts. :P And to clarify my stance, I believe there are powerful influences behind the industry in question, namely the pharmaceutical industry, that controls and corrupts the overall climate of the psychiatric profession. These powerful forces have a very bad habit of corrupting otherwise well-meaning people. You may be interested in boning up on the subject, and intellectually arming yourself with information upon taking up the profession: http://www.antipsychiatry.org/mosher.loren.1.htm

Also, I said that its no reason to in my opinion, not that you couldn't and I was trying to take away your free speech. :(

Point well taken. :(

And so I said that sometimes a psychiatrist finds out what you are feeling by what you tell them. That's how they figure out what's wrong with a person. Some people are in denial and that makes the psychiatrist's job harder. :

Ahh, that certainly makes sense now. Sorry for being so thick! I bet you'll make an excellent psychiatrist, but please consider checking into the above link. Forewarned is forearmed.

I think Psychiatry has been the victim of what every institution is victim to...apathy. Folks go into Psychiatry with good intentions, but the longer they stay in the field, the less they try. Professionals get stuck on certain theories and certain solutions that they use all to often. If a patient does not fit into their mental paradigm, then they become a victim of professional apathy. Personally, I think that all mental problems can be dealt with in the paradigm of purification. As children we are pure, and we are exposed to our environment we develop in healthy or unhealthy ways. What we are all seeking is the purity we had as children. Those who are immediately exposed to unhealthy environments never get the opportunity to experience their innate purity. Problems psychologically that come from unhealthy experiences can be worked out by talking, being educated and being given experiences that can purify what sediment has settled in their lives. I for one believe strongly in the power of diet, environmental healing (being outdoors, crystal healing, ocean healing etc.). Most of all people need understanding and to know that they are worthy of positive and pure experiences. Second of all people need to live in healthy communities. Communities where problems can be addressed and solved by its own citizens. Communities that empower citizens and strengthen the ties between community members. No man is an island, and those who are probably have mental problems. As individuals we need to be kind and understanding of one another and be willing and able to lend a hand when a neighbor needs it. In the very least we need to bring back the idea of ethics and the idea that we should all be respectful to one another no matter what a person looks like or how much money they make. Additionally, I think people need to be honest about what is happening in their lives. We can take race as an issue here. What is racism? I believe that racism is not the effect of hate, but rather fear. When a white person, who lives in a rural, historically white area has the experience of encountering another ethnicity, their initial reaction is fear...not fear of the person, but a fear that that person probably thinks that they are racist. The person of ethnicity only sees the look of fear in their eyes and thinks, "This person is afraid of me, they must be racist" and then reacts accordingly. This miscommunication leads to misunderstanding which then leads to hate and what we all identify with as racism. If people talked about what really happens to them when they have these encounters, the truth would come out that white people, in general, are not racist, but feel a deep sense of guilt and fear that they are perceived as racist, then a more honest discussion of racism would occur and possibly white folks could stop feeling guilty and diverse populations may see that we are all trying to work through the crimes of yesteryear and want to move on without tensions. What do you think?

To return to what the original poster said about his anger problem, I certainly don't think that psychiatry is the only way to deal with an anger problem, and saying someone has MPS isn't going to help any. For people with anger issues, a lot of exercise, or joining a martial arts club that has a strong philosophical basis, or joining a meditation club are viable alternatives.Basically I think that drugs are the last resort. I have nothing against counseling IF it's helping the person concerned to have someone to talk their problems through and who'll offer constructive advice. I'm sure that this approach is useful for some people. But it's not necessary that someone who has anger issues necessarily is depressed or has multiple personality disorder!!Basically I feel that one should try healthier means of dealing with the problem before trying drugs that attempt to interfere with and control the processes of the mind.