xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

Ipb-phpbb Or Vbulletin What do you prefer.

Well i just wanted to know the opinion of my fellow mates. What do you think. Please reply with reason not just VB because its cool.I like IPB because its just more advanced but the security features are not so good and it can be hacked easily. It also has lots of mods and also it is cheap as Vbulletin is much better but i just dont know why but it dont seem right to me. I like IPB have a lot of experience in it. PhpBB i just hate because it is hard to install mods in it. Well this is my opinion whats yours.

As to the difficulties installing Mods for phpbb, have you tried using the easymod from their download site? Using it simplifies the process a lot.And the phpbb version three is soon to be released, apparently. That will be quite an improvement.

First of all, it's been a while since i have used those systems and I don't know what has changed in their latest versions (so sorry If what I write has been fixed).You'll find that the support offered to vbulletin users from the official site is superb and better than the one offered for ipb users... Plus, I think that the plugin system (and maybe the admin system) on vbulletin is easier ...As for IPB, people, especially newbies like me, don't and can't have the luxury to change the codes and mods each time the forum has an upgrade...Still, I think that ipb fora usually feel a bit more professional and "tidy" than those of of vb.Overall, I prefer Vbulletin or maybe phpbb which is ...(the magic word) free... You know that modding phpbb you can have anything the other two have... :P If I was in your place, I would search other fora too for more opinions, try both forums in trial-versions (especially the admin section) and then decide...Oh, something that you should never forget, in the end, it doesn't matter what board you have. If your forum is full of junk, with uninteresting users, idiotic threads, submenus, categories....you will probably fail...Care about your community more than you care for what board you'll use.

Let me start by saying, I have used every single one of these. I prefer vBulletin better than IPB and PhpBB by far. The reason being that simply, the security is a lot better and let me say the modifications and skins.

There is lots of modifications available for licenced customers on the dedicated modification and skins website, vBulletin.org.

IPB I have found the normal skin looks a lot nicer than the normal vBulletin theme, but don't judge a book by it's cover. I also agree that IPB looks a bit more professional.

The AJAX in vBulletin is much better than in IPB, but nevertheless a javascript overload is not the best in the world.

Have a good day!

-Tom

Two Most Popular Paid Forums (I've used both IPB and vBulletin, and administrated an IPB forum):IPB: I like IPB because of all those lovely features you get with it, AND it looks GREAT! It's very well organised, and has all the features you can expect from a proper forum. When I think of a REAL, full forum, I usually think of IPB. But the fact that it costs money (and that you can't get free versions anymore) really lets it down. Their admin control panel has many excellent features.vBulletin: I really don't understand it. I'm sure it's good, but it has some dodgy work throughout, like a Mercedes Benz with cheap fabric seats. It's quite neat though. But it's also very slow. Their cookies also seem a bit less reliable than IPB's, judging by my comparison between Xisto's IPB forums (where I am always logged in), and many vBulletin forums I've used (which log me out at high frequencies). Oh, and the name "Jelsoft" (the developer of vBulletin) makes me want to vomit. Their admin control panel is quite good, although I'd probably be reaching for an Embag before I made it there...Two Most Popular Free Forums: (I've used both SMF and phpBB, and administrated an SMF forum)phpBB: very fast, much faster than IPB and vBulletin, as well as SMF. Seems to be based on vBulletin, as the URLs seem quite similar and so are the icons. It has the neat layout of vBulletin without the emetic developer's name. Very well done on basic features (has all of them and at a great quality), though it misses out on many of the advanced features. It's also insecure and easily hacked. But I like it and I'm seriously considering migrating to it, it's based on the "simple is best" principle. SMF: this is the one I'm most familiar with and I have it installed on my website. I find it slightly slower than phpBB, but it has some great features. I must say I like it, and its features list is longer than phpBB's. It's quite a good copy of IPB if you don't want to fork out the cash for it. It's very well laid out and has a great statistics center. All of these forums have their merits, though I prefer IPB more than anything else. However you may wish to consider vBulletin if you, like most people, are immune to its emetic developer's name and are willing to give them money, more money than any of the other three I have mentioned here. SMF is certainly a good alternative, as it has many advanced features and is quite neat and simple. If you just want a quality, basic forum (emphasis on quality), you should then consider phpBB. It's not that bad now that I've considered it.

Edited by detportal (see edit history)

I like IPB way more mostly because it seems alot easier to use than any other forum software. The only problem I have with it now concerns my host I think. The problem is that I cannot use any custom skins because I get an error like this:

IPB WARNING [2] ipsclass::require_once() [function.ipsclass-require-once]: Unable to access /home/vol3/byethost9.com/b9_233533/concussion.byethost9.com/htdocs/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_5/skin_global.php (Line: 1362 of /sources/ipsclass.php)IPB WARNING [2] ipsclass::require_once(/home/vol3/byethost9.com/b9_233533/concussion.byethost9.com/htdocs/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_5/skin_global.php) [function.ipsclass-require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory (Line: 1362 of /sources/ipsclass.php)
I don't know what causes that error but I think it is that IPB won't create a cacheid file because I can't find it in the directory when I look for it.

But I still have to say IPB FTW!

Vbulletin isn't advanced enough enless you are good at coding and mods. I don't see many forums using it either which poits out it's major flaw.

i have used phpbb, phpbb plus and smf heavily modded. had problems with mods in phpbb, too even i have used the easy installer. after some script-writing it worked at the end. then i heard about phpbb plus with many mods installed and tried this one. have used it for a long time with a portal mod and all installed. worked well to that point when i tried to install cash mod with arcade mod. screwed up everything and instead of installing the backup, i installed smf with tinyportal mod. works great as a cms and the forum is integrated perfectly. cant tell you about the other ones but for me smf is the best one

Well i just wanted to know the opinion of my fellow mates. What do you think. Please reply with reason not just VB because its cool.
I like IPB because its just more advanced but the security features are not so good and it can be hacked easily. It also has lots of mods and also it is cheap as Vbulletin is much better but i just dont know why but it dont seem right to me. I like IPB have a lot of experience in it. PhpBB i just hate because it is hard to install mods in it.

Well this is my opinion whats yours.

I really liked IPB, but now that new versions arent free I like yabb2 the best. Has the same features as any other paid forum.

I used to be a fanatic to IPB, and loved it a lot. I wanted one, wanted it to look exactly like Xisto, and wanted all the mods for it. I then saw that IPB weren't as good as I had initially said. First off, with IPB there are not that many mods for it, compared to phpbb where there are so may mods it is unbelievable,and I am grateful for it. Also, it is more customizable and a lot of people have phpbb templates available, that is something that IPB failed to do, in my sense. I did find CSS skins and I liked them for IPB, the problem is the ones that I found, had a lot of copyright notices on it, and that would make my site look both cheap and unprofessional. Now with V-bulliten, I have not tried it out, so I would not know what it is like. But, personally, I dislike how it looks and feels. And it seems like an IPB wannabe that cannot be as good as it. And you have to pay for it, just like IPB, which was horrid. With Phpbb its free and mod-ful(tons of I mods for it) a lot of cool templates, and it just plain out ROCKS. I love it and hope all people looking into getting a forum look into phpbb first. Okay, another thing is that you forgot SMF, and mybb. I dislike SMF, a lot. It is hard to instsall tmeplates, the mods for it suck, and I just hated the interface of it, that I would think everybody who would use it would hate it. There are some cool stuff that you can do with it, like edit the user agreement, which I liked, but that is something that I can live with not usin, so I was cool with it. Now Mybb is the worst, that you would ever use. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TRYING IT. I really hated it and I do not know why. Maybe because it was anotehr wannbe phpbb and it had all the same feature ,but an ugly interface and chapely done features that I would not know why any human, would want it. So there it is what I think. To sum it up I made a list of the best and worst!1. Phpbb (duh! its free, like Xisto!!!)2. IPB( Yeah you have to pay for it, but the admin features do rock)3. SMF (not the best but you get what you pay for, and its free)4. Mybb (again its easy to install and free5. V-builliten( you have to pay for it, and I hate it! :P So thats just my humble opinion!

I personally like IPB cause it looks so stylish...SMF gets my best vote for free because the mods are soooo easy to install...I haven't really looked at phpbb or Vbulletin properly so I don't really know about them.Off Topic: Yay first post!

Well I would say IPB, but lately it has to be Myybulletinboard. Why? Well it seems that mybb is just as good as VBulletin, but it is free. So really it is the generic version of VB, and it is just as good. They have a great line of awesome skins, they have easy to install mods, with no editing needed, all you do is upload the files to the plugins folder, and the images folder, and it is installed. Plus, you can turn these on and off depedning on when you need it. So if you have a mod that you like but do not want it on now, but will need it later you can just deactivate it and the activate it when you need it. It saves you a lot of time because with ipb, or phpbb if you dont want a mod you have to go and edit the files again, and this can become a really big pain. With mybb ive installed a bunch of mods, and when I need them and when I dont I have them. Plus, why pay up to 160 for VB? Its really just a waste of money, go with the sure bet mybb.

I personally use phpBB because I think it is easy to do this. I recomand it to a beginner. :P

i used phpbb2 but i liked mybb coz its cool and it has a lot more option. although u cant find enough plug ins for your mybb. but my ultimate choice is vbulletin. i wish i had $150 so i could buy a vbulletin for my forum.