xisto Community
the_undertaker_rip1994

General Chemistry TELL ANYTHING U KNOW ABOUT CHEMISTRY

IN THIS TOPIC YOU CAN WRITE ANYTHING U KNOW ABOUT CHEMISTRY!

Aren't you supposed to be the one to start writing about it? I mean, you're the thread starter and all. And please, writing in all caps is very rude. It is the textual equivalent of shouting at us.

Okay, maybe I should start this one.

Chemistry is a branch of science dealing with the study of the composition of matter and the ways it reacts with other matter.

See, that wasn't so hard now, was it? :P

I hate chemistry, when I took it i didnt learn anything and the teacher was asian(trying not ot offense ppl, but if this does sorry) he'd always say. Nacho+Nacho= Pacho . And i never new what it meant, then I looked in my book and it meant negative+negative=possitive. What does that have to do with chemistry I thought. And till this day I do not know what the ^E#*( thats MEANS. But I passed, didnt get an A but I passed and hope to never speak of this agaiN!

I feel pretty much the same way about chemistry as the person who posted before me does. I hated chemistry as I found it was a rather complicated part of Science. However, there were still a couple of parts of the chemistry syllabus which I found interesting.When I studied Chemistry at school, I can remember how we had to keep studying these elements of the periodic table, working out how many electrons each one has in their outer shell and then work out whether there was a negative or positive charge. We then had to work with ionic bonds, sharing electrons etc.I live in England and I did the double Chemistry syllabus for GCSE, but I was pleased that I was able to give it up for A level. As I said above, th most of the course was complicated. My strongest section was working out the number of electrons quite easy. I feel I was only good at this topic as I was good at mathematics.Chemistry wasn't my least favourite subject. History was a lot worse, due to being complicated and being boring.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

I hate chemistry, when I took it i didnt learn anything and the teacher was asian(trying not ot offense ppl, but if this does sorry) he'd always say. Nacho+Nacho= Pacho . And i never new what it meant, then I looked in my book and it meant negative+negative=positive.

Wah doh yu mean yu donno wah nacho, nacho en pacho meens? I know yu are no intending to be but just becose we asian do not mean we donno how plain Engrish to speak, yah? And if yu ad too nachos end-to-end then yu get something pacho like, "I am not not Asian," and so yu have "I am Asian." Yes?

Just kidding :P

My chemistry days were kinda, well, boring. Our teacher made us memorize the entire periodic table of elements and, up 'til now, I still have no idea how I could have benefited from that. If anything, it's probably the sort of thing I'd say when a hot guy tells me, "I love nerds who know a lot of things," but, really, is there no other (pedestrian) use for that? I know the periodic table is not usually the stuff that crops up in perfectly normal and healthy conversations :P

chemistry simply sucks ....nothing more to say :P....sorry for those that like chemistry and are good at it, but that is my very own opinion on chemistry, and I think nothing in the world could change it ^^

Edited by hts (see edit history)

Chemistry is a good subject that everybody should learn. I'm not so good at it but i think i can make some explosion and avoid some dangerous ways in my life. Chemistry is a begining to research in Biology. So i must learn it.

i hated chemistry when i took it i thought it was going to be easy but i was wrong the teacher expected us to know all the materials to make gold and other products after i took the class i learned nothing cause after he said we need to know the whole Periodic Table i just stop doing the work and i slept in that class.

Edited by street (see edit history)

I'll leave this subject with two points: 1. My chem teacher doesn't teach ("Read the book" is his favorite phrase) and 2. the New York State chemistry Regents exam is probably the hardest.

Chemistry isn't that bad, and as a result I'll prove it: these are the names of chemicals which are accepted as their proper names, including:Arsole (no I'm not swearing) : Arsenic on a 5-membered carbon ringMegaphoneCummingtonite : so called because it was found in Cummington, Massachusetts (My favourite)Moronic AcidArabitol (as opposed to a burrow I suppose)Windowpane (desribing the shape)Uranate : Uranium Oxide'sFucol: a sugar...actuallyPenguinone and Dogcollarane (again shape)and there are many more!

Edited by dastrophy (see edit history)

I used to love organic chemistry back in school. It was by far my favorite subject while on the other hand I absolutely despised inorganic chemistry it was all cramming and little logic. I loved to read about the organic mechanisms and trying to figure out unknown mechanisms on my own. I still miss organic chemistry a bit but I guess college level organic chemistry would not have been that easy (I say this from my experience with physics).

i never really liked chemistry. ever. we had two chemistry's back in highschool, one is basic and the other is advanced. the basic chemistry was boring and if my teacher back then was lame, i probably hated the subject even more. good thing she was really nice and funny. advanced chemistry wasn't fun. most of the girls have a crush on the teacher, but he was trying hard to be "one of the kids" that i lost some respect to him.good thing we weren't required in taking chemistry in college. it was just a general elective under the math, science and technology domain, and it's your choice if you want to take it. most students say it's the subject where you could easily get a grade of 1.0, but i'd rather take a subject that really gets my attention, not just getting a 1.0.

I'm a chemistry degree holder. I kind of hated it, at first, but you'll learn to love it along the way. The introduction of the subject, general chemistry, does suck. You only got to see chem principles and not much of its applications. Later on the subject (Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chem, Inorganic chem, Physical Chem and Biochemistry), it's better. Well, i've learned lots of things. We never call Chemistry as the "Central Science" without a reason, don't we? Here's a brief overview of the course: A. Analytical Chem: Qualitative (what is in there) and Quantitative (how much of that something is in there). B. Organic Chemistry: Chemistry of almost all compounds of Carbon. This one is pretty huge and exciting. C. Inorganic Chemistry: All those remaining compounds and substances that's not catered by Organic Chem belongs here. This one has much more scope. D. Physical Chemistry: More on the nature of the substances. And the hardest subject, I guess so. E. Biochemistry: As the name suggests, the chemistry of organisms. (This is where you get lots of sleep. !:D!) The laboratory is pretty amazing, I tell you. I may sound like a nerd.. I guess I am..

Edited by linekill (see edit history)

I took a General Chemistry class last year in High School. I found it a lot more fun then biology and found it a lot more interesting. We did a lot of labs and were also able to create our own. I like experimenting and seeing what effect chemicals have on others. This year we are going to be taking an Organic Chemistry class. We will be creating a lot of our own labs and some of them will be sent in for an Internal Assessment for my IB program. I can't wait for this year to begin so I can do a lot more. I think I want to do something in Chemistry as a career but I'm not really sure what yet.