xisto Community
techlive

Fixing A Scratched Dvd

I haven't had to repair any of my DVDs (the advantage of keeping them in their original cases) but I've repaired dozens of scratched CDs with Brasso. The idea behind most of the ideas - toothpaste, metal compounds, Brasso, etc. - is that you're buffing away a very thin layer of the disc's plastic coating. This lightens the scratch or removes it completely if it's a light, surface scratch to begin with.The trick with Brasso - other than making sure to use the stuff in a well ventilated area (hehe) - is to buff in the direction of the scratch. You have to be persistent with some scratches. You could buff, clean up, buff again and repeat a few times or more before you actually see any results. But, what do you have to lose? Nothing, considering that if you can't repair the disc you'll have to buy a new one anyway.I started with a throwaway CD that I didn't want (think trial CD-ROMs that show up in your mail). That way, if I messed up, it wasn't a big deal. :P

I haven't had to repair any of my DVDs (the advantage of keeping them in their original cases) but I've repaired dozens of scratched CDs with Brasso. The idea behind most of the ideas - toothpaste, metal compounds, Brasso, etc. - is that you're buffing away a very thin layer of the disc's plastic coating. This lightens the scratch or removes it completely if it's a light, surface scratch to begin with.
The trick with Brasso - other than making sure to use the stuff in a well ventilated area (hehe) - is to buff in the direction of the scratch. You have to be persistent with some scratches. You could buff, clean up, buff again and repeat a few times or more before you actually see any results. But, what do you have to lose? Nothing, considering that if you can't repair the disc you'll have to buy a new one anyway.

I started with a throwaway CD that I didn't want (think trial CD-ROMs that show up in your mail). That way, if I messed up, it wasn't a big deal. :P

So the toothpaste will work if I do it over and over again?

Plastic polish is proberly the best. I have use this one for Scratches (and other things such as dirt), and it seems to work on my cases, but i think the most important you need to have to best CD/DVD reader to read the Scratched CD/DVDcoby

I have had to deal with scratches on CD's as well,  what I have found to work pretty well is,  creamy peanut butter, just rub a thin layer on the scratch, and let it dry,  then take a soft  cloth to rub the remaining peanut butter off,   have fixed several that way,  and they play fine, just my cheaper way to fix a scratch,

what I tend to use for bad scratches is normal tooth paste (do not use th ewhiting ones as those contain large particals that will ruin the CD/DVD even more)Normal scratches I use 'autosol' a chrome polish used on cars bikes etc as its cuts through the surface quiet mildly.The important thing to remember is to apply these products with a cotton cloth, an old T shirt works best :)Also when you are doing this you are cutting into the layer its self so at that point it would be adviced to reburn the disc in question.

After manually cleaning your trashed disc, it is advisable to use a CD/DVD file recovery software (ISObuster comes to mind) to recover the data. This way you can backup all the important data to a different medium. Sooner or later, a scratched disc will fail.

I've always found toothpaste to work really good, here's what you should do.First you will need tooth "Paste", the gel kind won't work. just go to the dollar store and get the kind without a smell because you'r house will smell like mint lol1) Clean the disc with soap and water to assure nothing is on it2) Squirt some toothpaste of disc.3) Use an old cotton shirt and buff from the center outward in a circular motion, applying moderate pressure and using more toothpaste as needed.4) Depending on how bad the CD was scratched, wash the toothpaste off and repeat the process a few times, keep buffing for about 20 minutesNote: when you are doing this your Disc will appear to have small circular scratches on it, almost like you took fine sandpaper to it lol, these kind of scratches will not harm the reading of the disc, trust me. because their so fine.Ok now you will need to polish the disc, we will also be using toothpaste to do this.1) Squirt some toothpaste on the Disc and gently rub the paste outward until the entire disc is covered with toothpaste.2) Let stand for about 5 minutes.3) Wash the toothpaste off the disc and repeat the proses about 5 - 10 times, or until you get board.You have now polished your Disc and chances are you have fixed your Disc, but I would still backup the data because that disc isn't going to last a long time.

I have found Soviets way to work for me a couple of times you can also use peanut butter there are a ton of videos on Youtube which I selected a few and tried some worked some didn't. Nice cheap and easy way to repair a disk. All he really done was listen to a video on Youtube and type it up :angel:.

3) Wash the toothpaste off the disc and repeat the proses about 5 - 10 times, or until you get board.

You mean bored? Lolz.