xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Usb Wireless Adapter

I came across this while stop at a radio shack (yeah I know :P)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Basically it's like a network card but you connect through the USB, Although I don't really need it, I am tempted to buy it, costs about $70 from the Radio Shack.

So I am wondering if anyone else has used this, s currently using it. or knows someone who does use it to connect to their internet or is everyone like me and connected to pretty much everything else except this?

That would make about 5-6 different ways to connect if my count is correct :P

Yup, works quite well. The g/f has one on her older laptop. Still needs a wireless source, of course, but we have a Cable modem and wireless router already, so not a big deal. Newer Laptops typically have the wireless built-in, so you wouldn't need that for newer laptops. Might work for a Desktop located some distance from a cable outlet, though

So how different is this from a normal USB Wireless Network Adapter? Nothing has change besides the design for which the Wireless Network Adapter has an antenna and is pretty bulky to carry around while this new version is simply a thumb drive look-a-like. I mean their function is pretty the same, allowing you to connect to a wireless network for your computer, be it a desktop or a notebook.

New SpeedBooster technology increases Wireless-G performance by up to 35%

Can this really be achieved, seeing as the network has a defined data rate range, can it go above what it can deliver? In short this adapter is just a remake of the more bulky network adapter. Notebooks are becoming the norm in today's world. Furthermore, all notebooks are pre-installed with a wireless card to connect to wireless networks, why would people want to carry extra peripherals and connect it to their notebook when there is a pre-built one?

Perhaps those who want a better performance would use it, as it is always better to have something dedicated and external rather than something pre-built and internal. But other than that, I don't see many notebook users getting it.

I figured as much it would be used for older computers that don't or can't handle (which I doubt) a wireless connection. Does it boost the signal strength at all to the current connection?

SpeedBooster network card needs SpeedBooster router. Remember, the fastest connection is only as fast as the slowest connection in the network. This means even though you may have the fastest LAN connections, if your pipline is bottlenecked you are at the mercy of the slowest feeding internet speed.Having said that, I used something similar USB network card by Netgear to connect TiVo v2 to my friend's home router so that he can transfer recorded TiVo shows to his DVD burner. Believe it or not having an antenna is just for the show these days. These wireless devices are so good that they really don't need antennas to be vertically straight or aim to the correct coordinates.

Well I was using the USB booster as example since I haven't heard to much about USB be used this way. I don't trust those who who claim to get a faster connection.

Yea for all these special speedboost things to work you have to have matching brand items. Linksys, D-link. Whatever. You have to have matching router and USB adapter for it to actually do anything, and yes you can actually notice a difference, especially over longer distances or on different floors of houses.The "Speedbooster" technology as they call it doesnt actually make it a whole lot FASTER, just adds more speed over longer distances. Something to consider if you have a computer in your basement or somewhere far from your router.

I heard that these things are not as fast as a regular wireless adaptor, If i understand if i know what you ae talking about othewise I am making a complete a complete fool of myself for sure! I read an article that says a regular router that you connect a ethernet cable through is faster.

High-speed transfer rate of up to 11 Mbps

I've seen some routers have the ability to get up to 54 mbps so 11 isnt as good as some of the ones I've seen!

Up to 108 Mbps with AirPlus Xtreme G products

Backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g

Great for video streaming

Enhanced security from 802.1x and WPA for better encrypted key management and authentication

3-year warranty

That router has the ability to go up to 108 mbps so your seems sluggish compared to that one, but the price is just right on this one. Its only 70 dollars and is much better than what your router costs.

The D-Link Xtreme G with enhanced 108 features the industrys first default 108Mbps "Dynamic Mode" that allows clients to always operate at the highest possible speeds while automatically identifying and recognizing other D-Link Xtreme G products for highest performance capability and seamless access to the wireless network in a homogenous environment.

Extensive performance and interoperability testing using standard based methods including NetIQs Chariot software reveals a significant increase in performance of the D-Link Xtreme G over other 802.11g based competitors.

The D-Link Xtreme G DI-624 with 108 Mbps upgrade employs five cutting-edge hardware-based compression technologies to achieve a significant boost in performance within the 2.4 GHz frequency range.

IF you want to see the full review go to this link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

hopefully this helps you a lot! Also this model recieved 3 1/2 stars and has an 81% buying percentage which is much more then the router you showed us. Also 11 compared to 108 is no match!!

I haven't seen 108 on the market before, don't think it is really necessary either, your WIFI is only as fast as your initial connection. Like I said just wanted to know what people thought about it, well at least I same some money and not purchase it, since my laptop has a built in wifi already.

If you really want performance then just use ethernet since you don't have to bother with security and therefore higher theoretical transfer. Btw you will never be able to get the advertised transfer rate under their perfect conditions and distance, just won't happen. Download Qcheck and see for yourself.

everyone knows that if you do those speed tests you never get it the speed that your supposed to get. Since my main question did get answer and I don't plan on buying it(not anytime soon) the topic is closed.