xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

Stitches How to prevent it whilst running?

I have read many websites on how to prevent this and most of it are saying the same thing.

Force as much air as possible out of your lungs, and then inhale as much as you can. As you inhale, you should feel your abs swell as your diaphragm stretches downward, allowing your lungs to expand fully. This technique is similar to the diaphragmatic breathing that singers like Jessye Norman use to hold a note for a long time.

But what can be the reasons for Stitches besides not breathing and exhaling in the way to match your running pace? Anyway to prevent it besides stretching the diaphragm before running? This is a problem which I encountered whilst running and recently it starts to affect me more causing me not able to train properly for my 2.4 km run test.

I have ashma, so when I run I struggle to breath and if I'm lucky I won't get a stitch so I can't run long distances. Surely this stitch thing must be there for a reason? Like romoving the tonsils, why do it??? They are there for a reason after all.

I've never had this problem. Generally, on a long run, I tend to breathe in in two breaths, breathe out in two breaths. Perhaps you could try it? It might help.I HAVE had this problem while practicing the martial arts - but then I do literally hundreds of reps of various strikes, it can get most strenuous, especially if it's done against a bag. If it happens I just ignore it. Even here though, I find that I can avoid it if I use that two breaths in, two breaths out technique.This may or may not help you - I hope it does. Take care.

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

I do have a personal technique of mine: I breath in quickly then breath out slowly while running, it helps but thanks for the concern.

Just here to help - I be honest I admire you. A person with asthma who runs is either brave or strong-willed, or both. Probably both. Take care.

I do have a personal technique of mine: I breath in quickly then breath out slowly while running, it helps but thanks for the concern.

I never thought of that, usually when I run, I always breath in and out using almost the same amount of time. I never thought of breathing in quickly and then breath out slowly, I will be sure to try that today when I embark on a run in the reservoir.

I did the breathing in of two times and breathing out too but I was not able to cure the stitches.

I have asthma and never head=rd of stitches, i have an inhaler, and when i take it before i excersie i'd be okay and would not have trouble breathing. I use to take sudafed( sue-da-fed, dont know how to spell) , but that didnt help my asthmad and gave me a herpes eye infection!

Right Darran, if the breathing techniques don't work, it's possible that you get a 'stitch' because you have gas that exerts a pressure when your muscles and diaphragm contract during exercise (like running).A simple way to deal with this is to visit the bathroom and make sure your bowels are clean before you exercise.Also, just before you run, do some bending (forward, touch your toes, then stand up - do this ten times or so) - also bend from side to side - this will all help to ease pockets of trapped gas, if any - do this BEFORE you start your run.This just might help. If this doesn't help, then I would suggest you contact your doctor, perhaps he could diagnose this problems and offer a solution.- - - Take care, Yratorm.

According to my xc coach, you can prevent them by building up your ab muscles a bit and by not eating certain foods before runs. You are supposed to stay away from heavy lactoses (milk, cheese), spicy foods, and some other I can't remember.I think I also read that bananas a couple hours before a run are supposed to help, but I'm not sure if I buy into that.

I will do lots of abs training then, sit ups I believe are the most effective? Also the stretching exercises, bending and reaching your toes helps a lot too. And staying away from starchy food. I will be trying that out this evening and will get back to you my feedback

I have just completed a 2.4 km run for my physical fitness test, and I recorded a timing of 11.28 mins. In theory, that would be a grade C, I improved my target by about 0.12 mins. I did not suffer any major stitches during the run, in fact I did suffered a little but the pain was very minimal. It was as though I did not feel it at all. The key was not breathing, I tried different variations of breathing but it did not help. I did lots of stretching especially on the abdominal area, and it really killed the stitches :P Thanks for all your advice, I think I can now run without any worries of having stitches.

I always find the best way to avoid stitches is to avoid running in the first place....hee heeee.

But seriously, I rarely run myself. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it works for some folks. But when I tried it I found it compromised my immune system, which is usually quite strong. During my brief running foray, it was one of the few times in my life I actually came down with a cold. What a horrifying experience! However, I did notice that running on an empty stomach seemed to keep stictches at bay.

From what I've read of jogging, it's physically taxing on the body, and shouldn't be enthusiastically engaged in for any length of time. There's a reason professional atheletes have short careers. You simply can't "run" (no pun intended) your body into the ground over an extened period and not expect problems.

Presently, when I excersie my physical shell of existence, it usually consists of long walks, ocasionally supplemented with a (very) short sprint. This is followed by a brief, but effective yoga/meditation routine. Although now, my quater mile driveway is covered with snow, so sprints are more difficult.

Hope I'm not digressing too far off topic, but I take this walk every morning so as to justify further ingestion of fine food, wine, blended malt whiskey, port, vodka, and my personal favorite .......100% agave tequila-blanco (with a splash of lime and a nice beer chaser). The beer, by the way, should be from a non-fluouridated source and bottle condtioned to provide optimum health benefit.

While walking, I carry some small weights to prevent my small frame from sucombing to bone loss. Veggies and beer also seem to help to this end.

Thus spoketh the Enlightened Misanthrope

Edited by vbritton (see edit history)

Here are some things I've listed to help you prevent stitches whilst running.

1. Drink water. Drink lots of water. When you get stitches it often means you don't have enough water in your system. To fix this, drink some.

2. Breath deeply. Breath very deeply, so that you have enough oxygen to keep your insides working right. Then they will not contract and cramp, and you won't get stitches.

3. Hold yourself well. Hold yourself in an upright position when you run. Don't hunch over, clutching your cramping stomach. Keep your back straight.

4. Stretch. You can do simple stretches to get the cramps going away. Just bend your back slightly, very slightly, backwards. Your insides will uncramp and relax into a normal position.

5. Get in better shape. Some people get stitches because they aren't in shape, don't get enough excercise. Their bodies aren't used to what they are doing, like running, and they get cramps. Try to get in better shape and you can prevent this.

6. Don't eat while running. Eating while running gets all this food in your system and then it cramps while you excercise and run. So don't eat while running and you won't get as many cramps.

Edited by seez (see edit history)

I do cross country and track. The best ways to prevent stitches are to:1) Stretch your abdomen properly by reaching one arm over to the other side.2) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. A lot of stitches are caused by dehydration.3) As you said, regulate your breathing during your run.4) And most of all, don't start out too fast during the start. As a track two miler, I know that a stitch in the start is very painful. Simply create a set of splits and follow them as closely as you can.Hope this post helped :unsure:

There are a few things you can do, the first thing though is to understand why we get stitches. You get them because your stomache (and other organs) is pulling on the muscles holding it in place, therefore straining them. Therefore to prevent a stitch, you prevent the "wobbling".The best thing you can do, is simply tense your abbs as you run for a while so that your stomache doesn't move.If you're happy to stop for a while, put your hands behind your head and walk upright, breathing in slowly (in the nose, out the mouth) stretching your stomache.Hope this helps