xisto Community
BooZker

New York Times Says Vista Is A Copy Of Mac Os X This is a short video about how its NOT

Well all these big companies copy each other. As reported a while back Windows Vista is not the most secure operating system like they said previously. But it will intreseting to see if more people keep with xp or buy vista. I am personally fine with windows xp. Eventually when i get 1gb ram i will probably give Vista a shot.

OMG, Lol, widgets.... and gadgets. Not the same thing. Lol. Vista is a freaking copy, but I wouldnt care, I probably wont use most of those copied things anyway.

Actually, what is the "copyright" means? Is it only about the use and distribution of the operating system, or it includes the design and architecture of the operating system itself.If apple cannot sue microsoft over this thing, that means everyone can make the similar operating system without being sued. Or there is some point that I have missed?

Edited by apacheNewbie (see edit history)

Well, what i am thinking is that as long as you write the code yourself and it isnt a copy then it's fine. So an example would be like writing a <b> tag and a <strong> tag. Their output is the same, but the coding is different. And if you look at the actual graphics they are also different. I think that is what they did.

In my oppinion, Vista is nothing more, than a make-up for bad OS... They put up a lot of effort in graphical design, but where is it's functionality? Where is it better than XP? Except that it's optimised fo 64bit processors? All I see, is that when you install Vista, you need to add more and more new hardware... Thanks, but no thanks...And another thing, i will NEVER EVER install Vista on my computer... TCPA... No one is going to mess around in my computer, and spy on me... I will rather sell my computer, and never use it again, than agree on that damned TCPA... Trusted computing... Yeah right... Trusted for them :PThe only reason I'm still using Windows is that I chose my path badly, when I learned programming... But I'm changing that slowly, and soon, it will be bye bye Windows, and hello Linux :P

Even if Microsoft did copy Mac's idea, Bill Gate is still so rich that the US government will protect every *BLEEP* money he makes. Mac's income is nothing compared to what Microsoft got. By the way, there's a difference between Vista and Mac OS X.Vista, all kinds of games can be played. Cool for all gamersX, you can only play certain games. Totally sux for real gamers.Microsoft has my loyalty. Go Microsoft, bankrupt Apple Inc.!!!!

Didn't Apple come before out before Windows then Bill Gates tweaked the UI a bit then released it. For a long time Windows made it's own stuff and was original. I believe that if Apple keeps making great inovations that they will end up ahead. The problem is that they are so far behind and they dont really accept to many games. Actually Macs new OS has a thing called spaces which is a rip off of Linux systems, but that is the only thing i saw.

Not at all. First of all, the possibility of multiple desktops is not supported by any version of windows, but Linux certainly isn't the only one with it. Apple just added a feature to make the switching between these desktops a lot easier and ADDED the ability of exchanging windows between the different desktops or spaces, which in essence, just are different virtual terminal's, Linux keeping the name "desktop", Apple using the name "spaces", nothing wrong with that, not?

Then your statement about windows beeing original... Well when you release your first realy graphical versions of your os, it isn't kind of hard to add new features eh? Concidering versions of windows prior to 95 not beeing graphical, at least not user-friendly graphical.
Linux does this a lot better, but Apple is some leaps ahead with user-friendly GUI's, and it is still coming up with new features. (Anyone ever thought about making a UI like Apple's iPhone for portable phones? I believe not.

What about the games... Well it is true there aren't many games written for Apple computers, but that's because the market isn't big enough. For homepc, Apple's are mainly used in the USA. In Europe and Asia, the pc is more commonly spread, whereas Apple is more used in the professional industry (I think it isn't necessary there to play games, is it?), but Apple is getting more and more spread in Europe. In a few years, I guess there will be more games made for Mac.

Apple and MS are like two nations who are in competition but rely upon each other for certain things they can't do for themselves. For instance, Apple is the only thing, probably, coming between MS the demise AT&T met when they were forced to split up due to the monopoly they had. The Feds aren't afraid to come after MS as was seen during the Klinton Administration. MS, on the other hand, has on its campus the largest Apple Group of software engineers outside of Apple itself. If Apple were to sue MS, MS would respond by selling off billions of $$$ of Apple's stock and shutting down all Apple-related software research and development. They'd probably buy Adobe and sack all their Apple development people too, which would cause Apple's stock to dive like a rock in the ocean. It would cause more damage for something like this to take place and this way, people know Apple's innovations lead the industry which gives it good press and causes it's stocks to continue to rise and they've got halos over their heads and can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the authorities. I own both platforms including a new Mac laptop (MBP 2.33 MHz C2D 17" 2GB/160GB) and I couldn't be happier since I'm not a big game player - if I were I'd buy a Mac work station loaded and a copy of Windoz for the gaming side of things. I am really not fond of MS except for their Apple-Office products.

Well this is how i see no matter what happens bill gates will never go out business. How many of you all out there has Microsoft office on your computer i guess a majority of users. Another thing is apple computers already have a bad reputation from there past computers most potential buyers always look at the past history on things. Back then Apple was labeled bad. In the time of windows 95 no one jumped to apple they stayed with Microsoft do you all no the reason why? My guess is because windows was the best to use back then. Also PC vs Mac and all that other stuff it is not about the games if you want to make your pc better all you have to do is buy a new part for it no big deal. You can have an ancient pc and its performance is just like a new computer you cant do that with a mac. So PC will always be the choice of computers buyers.

i lawled. that is really quite funny, i hadn't seen anything of vista before that video. mac os has always had a superior gui so its to no surprise that windows with its traditional style of design has leap forth to counter in this area... that being said, i don't see why they have gone and copied so many features from mac os. i mean gadgets and the chess board, common thats really pushing it. but then again, you can see this as a relatively smart move. everything that was 'cool' on mac os is now standard on vista. why get both? in the long run vista well have more compatibility than mac os. its teh same when win xp came out, nobody wanted to change in the beginning because of compatibility issues but as it became mainstream everything adapted to it.i say mac has to make its move, its a sitting duck right now. they make very little attempts to integrate their os to have global compatibility. everything is windows, mac or linux. if macs were more versatile (i.e. easily upgradeable like pcs), and could run beasty games i'd go with a mac anyday. its just the lack of functionality that comes with them. it seems they're too restricted to design, not everybody is a designer though. ;t

i say mac has to make its move, its a sitting duck right now. they make very little attempts to integrate their os to have global compatibility. everything is windows, mac or linux. if macs were more versatile (i.e. easily upgradeable like pcs), and could run beasty games i'd go with a mac anyday. its just the lack of functionality that comes with them. it seems they're too restricted to design, not everybody is a designer though. ;t

To be honest I am using once now and i think the are MORE compatible. Windows can't connect well with Macs. I got it doing it, but it does it super slow also. Macs connect at one hell of a fast speed. They also can connect over LAN to Linux, Windows, and other Macs. You can use any usb device. You can even install Windows on a Mac. The ONLY downfal i find to macs are the lack of support in games. I almost never play games, so i dont care!

OMG!! I loved his sarcasm!

grass vs. ceramic chess board, gg!

I must say that the first time I saw the vista aero gui, I immediately thought of mac, even though I hadn't (and still haven't) had much experience with Macs. It seems that a lot of little applets are based on stuff from apple, but the thing I find a little scarier about vista is it's similarity to many of the linux distrobutions. I have mainly used debian based distros, preferably with the Gnome window manager, and I was looking over someone's shoulder the other day, while he was messing with his newly installed vista... and SO much of the file management seems COMPLETELY ripped off nautilus and Gnome. Like how you add "favourites" to the bar at the side. The pane at the left... looks like gdesklets... there was a similar system to gksu for performing options as the "Administrative" user, aka root. The list goes ON AND ON AND ON! I am rather shocked, to say the least...

Aero, now... For SOME, ODD reason, it reminded me of compiz. Yes, I know, the windows tile on a flat surface in compiz (so that you can actually see them), and they have a thing in aero that hides half of the window, but it is the SAME THING!

What I'm worried about is when people see linux, they will say "that's such a rip-off from windows!", JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH MAC, back when M$ became popular. You should check out wikipedia and make a timeline of dates, just to see in what order things came out...

As to applel sueing M$, that's not going to happen. It already has. Just after Windows 3.1 was released, apple sued M$ for the copying of their interface. Apple sued for copyright, and since copyright is for COMPLETE copying (eg if a M$ employee had gone in and cp mac_source win_source'ed ), they were not granted this "patent-like protection, as apple had not filed a patent for the use of a gui, since the xWindows project (in no way related to M$ Winblowz) had been going on several years prior to Apple's first GUI. It's just like saying that xerox park can now come and sue M$ for using a GUI, just because Xerox Park was first. (Which they were, btw).

So there is no way that anybody is getting sued, though I do thing that the average user should be entitled to suing M$ for trying to make them think that windows is a neccessary part of their computer. An interesting connection I have seen there is actually to cigarettes. Who needs it? Who wants it? And it is also not original. People smoked long before companies made it a big, corporate affair that was more about the money than about producing the product - (the companies of course being M$.)

Well, so long as no-one forces Vista (or indeed any windows) on me, I'm happy. I have a roof, walls and several doors, in addition to windows, without living with the accursed and miserable failure of DMR.

*Warning: Beginning a rant!*I watched the video before. I have to say two things:1. David Pogue is a technological moron. He oversimplifies tech stuff so that any person who can only use AOL can understand what he means.2. Microsoft is just following the trade. Big whoop if they did one or two things that Apple also did. And even if Apple decides to sue Microsoft, I'm sure Big Bill has enough cash to pay them off.Whay can't everyone just accept the differences, and not rant about how people are "stealing" features from each other?*End Rant*

I must say that the first time I saw the vista aero gui, I immediately thought of mac, even though I hadn't (and still haven't) had much experience with Macs. It seems that a lot of little applets are based on stuff from apple, but the thing I find a little scarier about vista is it's similarity to many of the linux distrobutions. I have mainly used debian based distros, preferably with the Gnome window manager, and I was looking over someone's shoulder the other day, while he was messing with his newly installed vista... and SO much of the file management seems COMPLETELY ripped off nautilus and Gnome. Like how you add "favourites" to the bar at the side. The pane at the left... looks like gdesklets... there was a similar system to gksu for performing options as the "Administrative" user, aka root. The list goes ON AND ON AND ON! I am rather shocked, to say the least.

At this very moment im on my Debian Ubuntu Distro and it's SO much like it. Its a total copy. Actually though Mac has a new feature that lets you go from desktop to desktop (Workspaces on Linuxs) but at least they changed it up a lot. I mean its very animated and so fourth. The idea is copied, but at least they thought up of other things like "The Time Machine" which lets you go back though files and folders you deleted months ago and find things.

Big whoop if they did one or two things that Apple also did

1. Widgets
2. iCal
3. iPhoto
4. Expose
5. Aero
6. Live Search or whatever

There are more. Its not the fact they took one or two, its they took the whole thing and made it just look different. I dont care. I dont even use Windows because i hate it and the lack of features, but i posted this topic just to show how funny and how much of a copy Vista is. I mean Apple made the glossy look and Linux made the workspaces and ect and Windows is just a compilation of those. Cant they think of anything is all i'm saying. What is new in Windows Vista that you wished was in OS X or Linux?