xisto Community
airwave

Free And Easy Ip Tracing This is amazing and free

Found this technique recently, I am new to trap 17 so apologies if this is handled elsewhere.on win xp go to start and run 'cmd'at command prompt, type. 'tracert nameofwebsite.com;you should then get a list of ip addresses starting with your own back to that of the web address you typed in.If you then wish to trace the geographic location, go to http://www.ip-address.com/, type in the ip address and a google map showing the location of the server will soon appear.Obviously if you or the target are disguising or hiding the ip address it may not be so effective.I think the ip address trace would be a good service to check dodgy individuals pretending to be someone they are not.Enjoy

Thanks!!! Nice link, but usually I use tracert or trace it depends of the system. When you'll have problem with Internet and you'll need to find where the problem...

Interesting, I didn't know of this until now. To get to Xisto, the request goes through Watford, London, New York, Chicago, San Jose and Los Angeles (presumably). Here's the syntax for the more advanced properties:

CONSOLE
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\>tracertUsage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] target_nameOptions:????[/tab] -d Do not resolve addresses to hostname.???? -h Maximum number of hops to search for each target.???? -j Loose source root along host-list.[tab] -w Wait timeout milliseconds for each domain name.
Which I don't understand, anyone know?

It's interesting to look at. My request goes into London, then Blackburn, then Yorkshire, back to London, then to Brooklyn, New York and finally into Arcadia, California.

Adding a -d will mean that you won't get names for servers, just IP addresses. So for example:

CONSOLE

2 * 15 ms * l1.ar01.hx4.dsl.pipex.net [62.241.161.241]

BECOMES

2 * 15 ms * 62.241.161.241

The maximum number of hops sets how many different servers you can go through before it stops. Usually its set to 30, and most requests don't go over 15.

The -j flag allows you to force the request to go through a specific server, sort of setting a via point.

The timeout is how many milliseconds you are willing to wait for a response from the DNS to get the domain name for each IP address. If it takes longer than this time then it will just leave it at an IP address if it has found that.

You can also use this internally to see how fast your network is running and whether you have direct access to a PC, or are sent through a myriad of routers and switches.

Cool. I have seen this somewhere else, but can't remember where. I have never used it though.When I try and use it, I get an error about an illegal instruction (Not a "xyz is not a recognized internal or external command" error)I might go and play around with it on someone else's computer, as it probably works on theirs.

I can't figure out why, but tracert isn't working for me - here's what I'm getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\michael>tracert Xisto.com
Tracing route to Xisto.com [216.240.134.212]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 ^C

I hit Ctrl + C after the fourth ping to quit it since I knew it wasn't working anyways.

I can't figure out why, but tracert isn't working for me - here's what I'm getting:..

it`s not that it doesn't work, you simply receive a timeout response..that is something like " destination unreachable " :lol:..I suppose that this is because the peer between your ISP and Xisto`s ISP is a really long one, so the "ping" is simply lost on its way (one possible explanation ^_^ )..

it`s not that it doesn't work, you simply receive a timeout response..that is something like " destination unreachable " :lol:..I suppose that this is because the peer between your ISP and Xisto`s ISP is a really long one, so the "ping" is simply lost on its way (one possible explanation ^_^ )..

Or maybe it's Verizon's disability to provide good service to older customers - that would explain why my browsing speeds are so lousy. That was a bit off-topic so don't start a discussion on it please.
By the way, I also tried doing tracert on Google's server, as well as my Web site, and neither of those worked.
Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)