xisto Community
BooZker

Sony Vaio Cd/dvd Rom Drive Makes So Much Noise! Its not just a little bit of noise

OK ever since i have bought this computer the CD/DVD ROM drive has made so much noise that i wanted to jump off a cliff haha. It only makes that much noise though when i am installing games or software. When i burn of just play music or copy music it doesnt make near that much noise. When i push on the drive it stops making so much noise. It's like it's loose, but since it is a brand new Sony VAIO laptop i didnt want to screw with anything. Can anyone help or has anyone else had this problem. I mean ONLY games and when i push on the drive it stops making the noise.

Funny story on that my XPS the cd-rom quit on me about 2 weeks after I got it. They told me it happens sometimes so I suggest get a hold of tech support and jsut get it replaced. Your warranty should still be could.But usually when a cd-rom makes noise it's abotu to crap out on you.

Yes, it's about to go bad or you have a bad drive.When you push in the cd tray and it stops "vibrating" to the point that it makes noise tells me that the closing mechanism is faulty. Perhaps it was damaged during shipping either to you or to the retail place it was sent.Especially that your laptop is still new (well you didn't mention how old or how long you had your laptop) confirms that the drive is faulty.As Saint_Michael mentioned, use your manufacture's warranty policy and have it checked out.

I have a Sony Vaio for about 1 yr 4 months now, and I have never encountered such a problem. Since it is a new laptop, I suggest you bring it to the the Vaio HQ, ask them to do a quick check for you. You would not need to pay for the repairs because I am sure they gave you a 1 year warranty for any defects in the computer.

Well actually i got in sometime in august. I also got a accidental damage plan on it. I just didn't want to send it off... :)

Well actually i got in sometime in august. I also got a accidental damage plan on it. I just didn't want to send it off... :)

From what I understand, you damaged the laptop when you got it accidentally? If that is the case, I think it could be down to the small impact occurring on the laptop. 1 thing which I have realised while using Vaio was that it is very fragile, at least my model (VGN-FS25GP), I am sure the new laptops are all equipped with the shockproof warranty. I simply had a knock on my laptop and the port whereby you plug your audio output to was damaged and it needed re-soldering. Don't drag any longer, send it to the repair center, what I hate most is a new laptop barely even half a year and it is damaged.

no no, i have never damaged it i got a Damage Plan. Much different haha. I take very good care of this beauty.

In most laptops you can remove the CD/DVD drive easy (at least with HP/Compaq).So you can call the store and ask that you may just send the CD/DVD drive to them.Maybe if you remove your drive and place it again in your Laptop , your problem may also be solved.Mare infomation about removing (or replacing the drive) can be found in your user manual.

I used to have a computer, which was a compaq with a liteon cd drive, this wa a long time ago, about 7 years ago. I remember I was playing a game, I think it was command and conquer or something like that, and the cd drive was making a lot of noise, and then suddenly the cd came out flying. It almost hit a friend who was next to me watching.

If you are playing games that use the CD/DVD drive very often (like Command and Conquer Red Alert), you can make an image of your CD , place it on the hard drive and use a CD-emulator.The access will be a lot faster and making less noise.This doens't work with all games, but with most of them.

Mine makes a lot of noise also, I exchanged it for another one and still its the same thing, it may be a model issue. if I cannot get it fixed, I'm returning this. sad to let it go.

Disks spin very quickly...

Sony Vaio Cd/dvd Rom Drive Makes So Much Noise!

CD drives are noisy these days - a 48X disk spins at 24,000 RPM - 400 revolutions per second! This will make quite a bit of noise

Mine does that too!

I just got my laptop in late june (model number: VGN-NR385E) and about a month ago it started to do the same thing. It usually went away, but now it does that every time I play a DVD. I just want a straight answer: Is it normal to make that much noise? It is my only DVD player, by the way, and I don't even use it anymore cuz of that. Do I really have to send my pride and joy (almost $1000) off and see if they can fix it? Uh, I even saved up for a year and a half to get it and now I am po'ed!

-reply by Kaitie

I think I

Pop out the disc drive and just left of the laser reader, assuming you're drive is on the left of your laptop. If you notice a flat copper wire leading out of the optical reader, that wire bends up slightly. I believe the brushing noise you hear from your disc drives comes from this wire bent a bit too far up and hitting the disc repeatedly as it passes. This could be potentially scratching discs. I'm going to call Sony and see if they are aware of this.

-reply by MotenaiRonin

same noiseSony Vaio Cd/dvd Rom Drive Makes So Much Noise!

I have a Sony Vaio that is about a year old and my CD/DVD drive has made noise since the day I got it. It doesn't seem to be affecting the way it runs and is not scratching CDs. It's just scary because it sounds like it is breaking. For such an expensive computer, you'd think they could figure out a little problem like this.

-reply by Chelsea