xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sinari

Repetitive Lecturing Teachers you gotta love them....

This is more of a rant just to be able to post this somewhere... I have a histroy teacher at my high school who is big on lecturing. I'm not a fan of them but they don't bother me. That is, until they get repeated over and over again. His lectures for 3 days are made up of previously lectured information but presented in a completely different way. How many times can you listen to one lecture?!I'm an 'A' student in all of my classes and I pay attention to all of my teachers. Trouble is, I get bored and thisd teacher doesn't realize that we do other stuff during his lectures instead of listening to him. He picks on me a bunch in class to answer questions because I have good grades. I usually answer them right and so we go on in a different existance. This annoys me. He picks on me in three different ways so I have to pay half-attention while I am trying to ignore him.None of my other teachers are like this, my algebra teacher even gets off topic and rants about politicians and what not! WHy does this one teacher have to be so strange? We study History which is boring the first time much less after you've heard it already. His stories are only very rarely not a repeat of an earlier one and I really don't know why..... Does anyone else have this problem?I'm done ranting now on the evil and boring ways of my teacher. Thanks for putting up with me and such... Stupid teachers.....

That's funny, because my social studies teacher (world geography) does nothing in class. Sounds like fun, but it's boring. We just watch videos and screw around, I hate it when it feels like you aren't learning anything. It must stink to get picked on all the time. Usually teachers pick on the stupid ones. Have you told him that you've already heard that lecture before? It might sounds weird to do, but it might help. He might ignore you and continue on boring you all or he might actually do something new. I don't know how to get him to stop lecturing, hopefully you don't have him for too much longer. You could try to switch out of his class, but that might be hard to do. Good luck with this and try to stay alive through all the painful, repetitive lectures.

Edited by husker (see edit history)

I've been in your situation before. If I were you and I had the guts, I'd walk right up there while he was talking and take over the lecture for him, since you've heard it on at least 2 other occasions. At least it would prove to him that he's like a parrot and says the same stuff over and over. Has anybody really "confronted" him about it and told him they've heard everything he says at least once before?

Not really, he's the guy that the teachers send their evil kids to when they've done something wrong. He can punish the bad kids and people who are rude with tons of extra homework. He's big on writing so I'd probably end up with four essays in two nights or something as weird as that... I'm really a quiet person, so if anyone were to say something to him it would be the other students. Someone told him that he had already said the same stuff and he told us that we would be getting new stuff at the end of it. If so, the end never came....

well, history isn't really the best subject out there, unless you're a fan. usually, when the professors/instructors/teachers repeat a lesson, it's mostly for recap, so as to let the students remember the topic more. like what i've said, history isn't the best subject. students take it for granted (i, for one, am no exception to this). learning about your past gives you a better understanding of what is happening in the present.i think what your teacher should do is change his teaching style or should i say approach to the subject. he should make his lectures more interactive (like getting comments or questions from students, and not just asking students questions), since history could be labeled as a boring subject, in order to let the students have a better grasp of what is being discussed in class. in this way, the repetition of the topic will be avoided.

I understand recapping of lessons and his lessons are relatively interesting.... the first time. By the second time and the same lines used as well as the third of even fourth time, they get a bit boring. Then he also wonders why we are behind when he takes three days to cover one section of a four-part chapter. He does a little more than just ask questions, but the material stays the same with the same stuff that he used to interact with us from before. It is just mixed around to try to fool us into thinking that they really are different even though they aren't.

History isn't boring, it's actually fascinating. However, if you have a bad teacher, then all life is sucked from the material. If you've got a teacher which just lectures the same stuff over and over again, why not tell them? I mean, if you're an A student and all, then you probably get along relatively well with them, so just talk to them after class or whatever. Your teacher might just blow you off, but maybe they'll go "oh!" and will actually start being more interesting. It can't hurt, can it?

History... ah... one of my favorite subjects. Thankfully my history teacher makes things exciting, so I never get bored. Speaking of repetitive lectures... that reminds me a lot of my geometry teacher. She doesn't really teach organized and she keeps repeating a lot of stuff... :/ I don't think she's got a good grip on the class either. The class overwhelms her with noise. It's sometimes hard to understand what's going on.I'm also a quiet person in class labeled as smart... somehow... so I know what Sinari's going through. I'd probably bear it 'til it comes to pass... Until then, I'll keep on ranting. XD

As has been said before, with a good teacher, History is great. I enjoyed my history lessons a lot - and admittedly one of my teachers did a lot of repeating. If it is presented in a different way, I fail to see the issue? I know it helped me to grasp the important facts easily as well as having well rounded knowledge of the important events. If anything, it allowed me to easily forgo too much reading (or studying even, hehe) at home. I would believe if something is repeated a lot it's very important in relation to the assessment, anyway.In my view, it's much better than the antithesis of repetitive lectures - that is bareboned rushed lectures where the complete information is not given and topic areas are covered very quickly (which seems to be the case with my subjects now). It requires a lot more reading at home, and you don't have that same emphasis on the important facts, so you could spend a lot of time trying to learn something irrelevant to your assessment.As for asking you questions half the time - the fact that you can easily answer them correctly is fine, is it not? With good class participation (whether it be forced or not), he's surely to be just a little more lenient on your end.

Lecturing teachers aren't usually good, but, if I think about it, I wouldn't be able to learn AP European History if my teacher didn't lecture a lot.

One Socials teacher I had would read out the entire chapter/section of the text that we were studying that day, then repeat it over again. We all had a copy of the textbook, so we could read it ourselves, but instead he chose to read the entire book to us multiple times (over the course of the year). This would not have been so bad except for his complete lack of enthusiasm. We nicknamed him "Mister Monotone"; the entire school now recognizes him by this name. :P