xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasperIk

My Aunt

My aunt was recently a few months ago diagnosed with seizures. Now, according to her doctor she has been having them atleast two years before they even realized it. So a month after they diagnosed her with seizures her driver's liscense was pulled. So because of that she is stressed because she can't go anywhere even though/when she wants to so she has decided not to tell her doctor she's been having seizures so she can be able to drive again. I think its a very wrong decision she is making, she is putting other people at risk, and she has even said, she knows its risky but she has to drive... i just think what she is doing is horrible she could get someone killed, and face charges. Plus shes harming her health by not telling the doctor.

Argh, what an annoying problem... Why does she *have* to drive? I'm very glad you are worrying, instead of supporting the idea of her becoming a potential danger on the road. Hmm...it might not be the most loveliest solution.. but what I'm thinking is the following. You know those Oprah Winfrey episodes in which she invites over guests who are awfully mutilated after some addicent? Well, I once saw an episode of a girl. She was in a car, on her way to a bday party with her friends, when some guy who either drove too fast or too drunk, hit the car she was in. The guy survived, but the car she was in turned into a fireball, and she was severly injured. She has many really hideous scars, and her face is burned. She wore a hat I believe, and the skin of her face has melted and attached partly to her neck and such. She doesn't really have a nose anymore, and I believe she has a fake eye. She has no hair or eyebrows either, she had to go through many surgeries to fix her up somewhat. Even though she is mentally strong and such, her life must be a hell and she must be in pain rather often. It's mean perhaps.. but I suggest that you gather this sort of materials, pictures, video's (on Youtube perhaps) and stories, related to people who saw their children burn alive in their car after being hit by car of which the driver fell asleep and such, and show these to her. Make sure she understands the consequences, make sure the material leaves a deep impact on her. Make sure that the realizes that having a seizure in a car can be just as bad as driving when drunk! It all makes you lose control over your car, which can have devastating effects for both her own life and the life of innocent others!!

This is definitely the wrong decision for your aunt. She needs someone else to drive her all the time. I know this would be a big pain, but she doesn't have much of a choice. I don't know who this "driver" would be(maybe uncle?) but the driver would have to be available almost all the time. Like ink said, seizures can be very dangerous and she doesn't realize all the lives she would be putting at risk by driving. Hopefully she will care about everyone in danger and herself and then she will realize she is doing the wrong thing. Very tough situation for you and your aunt, I wish you the best of luck with it.

This is definetly a serious problem, and a tricky situation. I can see how you wouldn't want to hurt your aunt by taking away her freedom (well the freedom that driving gives you), but she's putting her and others lives at risk. I think you should sit her down(or get someone else to) and explain to her how serious it is.

I would look at it too ways:It is her decision and should be respectful for that, but she is endangering her own life and maybe others taking this route. I would sit with her as a councilor and go over the pro's and cons. But don't force your opinion into the matter as it may make things only worse.Or the other thing, which is my private opinion is that she is making her self worse and others. What happens if she has a seizure while driving? They have removed her license to drive for a reason, and I would think that is that she can endanger other people's life's by driving. She wouldn't mean to, but it isn't her fault.Hope that helps and I wish the best for you and her. :P

it is indeed a wrong decision. aside from affecting her health, it will also affect the people around her. you have to tell her the consequences of her actions before something goes wrong. she needs to understand that, more than anything else. and no offense meant, she's already an adult, i think she should also think like one.

The situations's kinda complicated because the story has two sides. In your aunt's side, it's more on her autonomy to make decisions for her health. It's her right to withhold information from her doctor because after all, it's her health that they're dealing with. I aslo understand your aunt's sentiments about not wanting to be left idle at home just becasue she wont be allowed to drive. ou have to understand that it's quite hard for somenoe living a busy life to just suddenly freeze her lifestyle just because she's unable to drive.But, on the other hand, what she's doing might also cause harm not only to herself but to others as well. It might be alright to tell her doctor about her current condition, because it might save her life and and the lives of others. Although this might seem to be an invasion of her privacy, i believe this is justifiable because what she's doing right now is an accident waiting to happen.

So her license was pulled in October, the other day she received a letter from the DMV, when she opened it, it said she was now allowed to renew her license. So we went to DMV and renewed it, now she got it back. But i am having mixed feelings. I am happy she has it back, this means she can actually go places without depending on others, however she is still having problems. She says she hasn't had any seizures, and i haven't to my knowledge seen her get one, shes gotten very nervous, but nothing close to what to me looks like a seizure, but just because i haven't seen her have one, and she says she hasn't had one, it doesn't mean she actually hasn't. Especially since i believe it was the day before yesterday, when she flat out told me, "i am not going to tell anyone if i have a seizure, i don't want my license pulled." So i am back at the constant worrying if she's having them, and will she have one while she is driving. Now she wants to have the doctor lower her dosage of seizure meds to see how she does, which i think is VERY unwise if she is going to be driving, because that just puts her in risk of not taking enough meds, so she will have a seizure.