xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DJ Panic

Invision Power Board

I had lost this site, then my friend had a hosted site on here and he gave me the link. I remembered i had an account on here, so i logged in. Then i found out i was approved and i just made my website!Here's the Q: How do i turn my website into an IPB Forum(like this one)?

you would have to purchase an IPB Lisence from InvisionPower.comthat is the only way you can turn your site into an IPB Board like this one.But you can use other ones like MyBB PHPBB, and a few other forum management scripts.

First you buy the licence. Then you upload it to your account here and install it. Unlicenced versions of IPB are not allowed since they are illegal. Illegal copies on this Server will be cause for terminating your account. Period. No questions asked.Just a friendly reminder of the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy. :blink:

If you have hosting on here your gonna have to go download the free version of Invision Power Board (I think its version 1.3) After that you need to unzip the .zip file you get. After you do that make a folder in your file manager called forum (or anything you want it to be) You will need an FTP client unless you wanna take a whole day putting the files in there by hand. Download an FTP Client then put all the files from the zip file you unzipped into the folder you made (Exactly how they are in the zip file) after you do that you need to make an mysql database. After you make that theres probably a file like install.php under that folder you made in your file manager. You need to execute that file by typing it in on your address bar (example http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ It should give you step by step instructions... If you have anymore questions you can probably visit the IPB website or look in the zip file you downloaded for installation instructions.

If you are too confused on how to do it after that then you should probably just login to your cpanel, scroll down towards the bottom where you see an icon that says Fantastico and then install either PHPBB or SMF, they are both really good forums and Fantastico installs them in less than a minute.

Edited by TeeCee06 (see edit history)

IPB version 1.3 is no longer available as a download from the legal source, Invision Power Board, so installing it here is not an option. Same response as my previous reply. Installing it on the Xisto Server will be grounds for account termination.Besides, the older versions of all the Forum Software are usually not secure, so installing a copy of a Forum which is not recent is risky at best.There are loads of other secure Softwares available, or purchase a copy of the most recent IPB.

Thanks. This is what i needed. I honestly don't like SMF and PHPBB. I was trying to get a IPB Board for free for some reason. I really just wanted one so i can recreate a friends site since he deleted it and can't seem to get it back and doesn't want to waste the money. Plus i wanted to install the Army System since i love it alot, but my main source for that(IPB Gaming) is down and don't know where to get it. I think i'll set up a PayPal account or something so that i can earn the money for the site then buy the forum. Buy i want the $60 bucks a month one, so yeah.Thank you for all of your replys. They were much appreciated.

60 bucks a month? IPB is only 70 dollars. It's a one time fee, but if you want to be able to udate you'll need to pay 70 dollars a year.

If you were to get IPB id get a yearly licence now for $69 as the prices will go up soon to about $135. I use IPB and i have to say its a great piece of software. If your feel adventurous you can integrate it into your website foir a completely unique look.

It's all on there website DJ Panic. A few of us have given the link to it.Both the lisences are lifetime licenses. After the "yearly" license is up, you can still use the software, BUT you will not be allowed to update the software until you renew the license.The lifetime lisence will grant you the ability to update every time there's an update, even after the one year. After 1 year though, you will not be able to recieve support for it unless you purchase the support license, which is 30 dollars a year, I think.

There are currently Three licence options.

There is:

Yearly Licence - you get 1 year of updates and support. when your year is up you are still allowed to run the board but you will loose access to updates and support unless you renew for $25 dollars every 6 months.

Price:$69.95

Perpetual License - You get access to all updates for as long as you want. You lose support after one year but you can renew for $30.

Price: $185.00

Lifetime Licence - You get access to support and updates for life. You need to contact IPS directly for this option and is quite expensive.

Price: Contact IPS

Dear DJ Panic this site is IPB v2 and its not free (pay $69 for license in ipb website ) , you must pay for this script . but you can use version 1 of ipb (its free ) , you can install it in cpanel / fantastic by one click