xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PlugComputers

Xbox 360 Hd Dvd Drive

Hey all-I was checking out some possible Christmas gifts (haha it is that time of year, already!) and I came accross the new Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive, an external drive for the 360. Playing HD DVD's in full 1080p with the Xbox 360 VGA cable the 360 is keeping up with new PS3 Blu-Ray technology. At only $199 this is a great addition to any home theater system you may have. Currently being the only HD DVD player to play DVD's in full 1080p the 360's drive is much more affordable than stand alone HD DVD drives. Currently stand alone HD DVD drives are around 400-600 bucks if I'm not mistaking.This drive is an excellent value and if you are playing your Xbox 360 on an HDTV (I hope you are, considering that is what next-gen gaming is all about...) I would highly recommend picking one up. I'm going to check them out further, but from the multiple reviews I have read the last few days it sounds like a solid product, well done Microsoft.

just saw this a few days ago. Its a really good price for someone who has a 360 and wanted a hd player. But now we will see a competition between sony and Microsoft because now Microsoft will be using HD DVD's and Sony will have the Blu-Ray

Really "help the industry"?! "gives consumer good value?!".

Where have you guys been? This product is DefectiveByDesign!

Now, an increasingly vocal grassroots resistance to DRM is cropping up. An anti-DRM campaign called Defective by Design, which is organized by the Free Software Foundation, has 15,000 registered members; the Electronic Frontier Foundation argues that DRM places limits on your ability to make lawful use of the music you purchase. Web sites like stopdrmnow.org and digitalfreedom.org have been launched to protect individuals right to use new digital technologies and urge boycotts on DRM-tagged content. David Berlind, executive editor of tech trade journal ZDNet, coined his own term for DRM: Content Restriction, Annulment and Protection. (Figure out the acronym).http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yup, that is what is so appealing about this new external 360HD dvd player. Look at the features you're getting for $200. To buy a standalone HD DVD player they're what? $499? Thats some of the cheaper ones too. Another thing I read, the 360 HD DVD player is the only HD DVD player than can play movies in full 1080p with the VGA connection. Other HD DVD players can only play up to 1080i with a HDMI connection. So its a great deal, and you're getting an even better resolution, that is, if you have a TV that can output 1080p. It makes a world of difference.

Here is another thought.Articles published all over Xbox 360 forums suggest that by taking Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive itself and adapting to a computer can result in very cheap HD-DVD player. These findings come from purchasing what seemed to be a broken/as-is Xbox 360 console, taking it apart and adapting with slimline 50pin to 40pin ATAPI board (around $20 average). Broken Xbox 360 consoles are listed around $35 on an average under eBay.So, if one's graphics video card supports HDMI wouldn't this be the ultimate cheap HD-DVD solution? That is, of course, if one is willing to use one's PC as a DVD player--not everyone has a PC near the HD television/projector.

too much money, i just bought a stinkin new 360 for almost 420 dolalrs and im not going to pay an extra 200 dollars for what hdtv then have to buy an hdtv tv and some other grabage. It is all abig waste of money so im not going to do that to me! :P:P

Haha no one said you had to buy one bk2070. Its just a good alternative that will save you some money if you are looking to get into the HD DVD's. Much cheaper and not a bad add on to your 360.