xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

People play video games to escape from reality or meaning of live. Games often are an easier world, often destructive with reincarnation (respawn).That's not reality. In reality construction is always more powerful (If you don't think so, I've a 2 page A4 proof) and therefor there is no reincarnation (would be unfair for people how get it right their first life and justice (construction) reigns with existence. They are dependent on each other).Stop playing, face hard reality, be constructive, productive, creative. Escaping only make your problems worse. Games are like drugs. They are destructive and cause addiction.

Video Games are bad,I work at a game store, I am required to know all about video games, yet I don't even own a console. Why? because I go to school full time so which do you think I'll put more effort in? I watch kids and parents come in and buy these rated mature games for their little ones and see how the kids react, it's like selling a damn drug to them! and if they don't get it, they throw the meanest fit ever I've had kids ruin my shelves. Kids were never like that before, i grew up playing outside, making REAL friends and having great communication skills. Now-a-days kids heavily rely on games for communications but lack it where they need it (school). although it has become the social norm, the young generation won't be as advanced as we are, in fact they are going backwards. as a child i used to get grounded for not coming home on time from playing outside, kids now days don't even go outside and they get grounded for getting too violent because of video games, and their actions are so much worse, like it is the end of the world that they are grounded from their games. It is a waste of time for multiple reasons: addiction, loss of self control, lack of social communication, over-use, emotionally unstable, and even obesity or starvation. and yeah playing video games are good if your planning on making it a career, but if not it shouldn't be overly used. but see i still work at a game store and study graphics design, without the use of video games. to parents, never buy a game that is rated mature for your child, it won't be their fault if they act out, it will be yours, i see too many of it everyday talking about how bad their kids are yet here they are buying another rated m game for their child. to kids, if you know whats good for you, get out and venture the world, go meet a hot guy or chick, go educate yourself with knowledge that will make you a successful person in the future so you can buy anything you want. Can you honestly say your happy with just playing video games? yeah video games can be a learning experience, but that doesn't cover all video games, and i know you would learn way more in actual life than fantasy because in fantasy you can only pretend, try living it up to reality.

Video Games are bad,I work at a game store, I am required to know all about video games, yet I don't even own a console. Why? because I go to school full time so which do you think I'll put more effort in? I watch kids and parents come in and buy these rated mature games for their little ones and see how the kids react, it's like selling a damn drug to them! and if they don't get it, they throw the meanest fit ever I've had kids ruin my shelves. Kids were never like that before, i grew up playing outside, making REAL friends and having great communication skills. Now-a-days kids heavily rely on games for communications but lack it where they need it (school). although it has become the social norm, the young generation won't be as advanced as we are, in fact they are going backwards. as a child i used to get grounded for not coming home on time from playing outside, kids now days don't even go outside and they get grounded for getting too violent because of video games, and their actions are so much worse, like it is the end of the world that they are grounded from their games. It is a waste of time for multiple reasons: addiction, loss of self control, lack of social communication, over-use, emotionally unstable, and even obesity or starvation. and yeah playing video games are good if your planning on making it a career, but if not it shouldn't be overly used. but see i still work at a game store and study graphics design, without the use of video games. to parents, never buy a game that is rated mature for your child, it won't be their fault if they act out, it will be yours, i see too many of it everyday talking about how bad their kids are yet here they are buying another rated m game for their child. to kids, if you know whats good for you, get out and venture the world, go meet a hot guy or chick, go educate yourself with knowledge that will make you a successful person in the future so you can buy anything you want. Can you honestly say your happy with just playing video games? yeah video games can be a learning experience, but that doesn't cover all video games, and i know you would learn way more in actual life than fantasy because in fantasy you can only pretend, try living it up to reality.

Your argument is invalid. There have always been spoiled brats, whether it be for candy, a stuffed animal, or, in this case, video games. Just because you see a few spoiled kids doesn't mean you can condemn the whole generation. If you see a few bad apples, you don't just burn the whole orchard, am i right?
besides all of that, games have many good points that i feel outweigh the bad. Video games bring people together. When people play video games either competitively or cooperatively, they’re motivated, optimistic, resilient, collaborative, and expressive, which makes them more likable. This is the whole reason people even play games in the first place. to get ENJOYMENT. why do we watch tv? why is playing video games with a friend any different from playing out side with the? why the hell do we eve do anything that releases dopamine in our brains? we do it because we like to. this applies to anything, not just video games. some video games even make the person playing them a better person, by supporting certain values. i can definitely say that i wouldnt be the person today without video games, and a lot of people are, in fact, fond of that person.

Video games do come to us as an entertainment package. But this sort of entertainment is really making us waste a lot of time in something so unimportant.Those taking its side will say many words in favour of it.Like enhancing our thinking and analyzing ability, providing entertainment indoors itself to kids.But its shortcomings are so many.To point a few deviating a child's mind from studies, restricting a child to home when he should go out and play thereby promoting obesity and physical disorders,negligence towards parents,friends and relatives.A few hours entertainment through video games is truly OK but the problem is it becomes an addiction and they just stick to it. But as EquiPow pointed out that she works for about 10-40 hrs and playing video games refreshes her mind and then she doesn't compromise with her studies and maintains high grades then such sort of things are really commendable.If you yourself know your limits then such kind of entertainment sources are perfectly OK.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

I spent about four hours over the past two days playing World of Warcraft before I finally got rid of it. It was fun at first, but then trying to find my way to completing the quests when I had no idea what to do was simply boring so I uninstalled it. I see it as a 3D version of Diablo II.If I wasn't playing World of WarCraft, I would probably be doing something more productive, but then again by playing World of WarCraft, I know what the game is about and what the current state of computer graphics is. Taking things forward, I may be able to find an open source framework for virtual world development and would be able to build a system that can help people learn about what they need to do, for instance locating the parts for repairs to an automobile.Playing computer games does help you stay away when you have to, so it does make for an alternative to drinking coffee or other caffeine based products. It depends on what you are using it for rather than a generalization that computer games are bad for you.

I agree that we can do something more productive instead of playing video games. I'm not that much of a gamer but I still play some games. In fact, I also consider playing video games as one of my hobbies. I admit that when I really like the game, I play for like 4-8 hours. ^_^ Mostly when I play, I make sure that all of the things I have to do like school works are already done. There are times that I forget some things too but still, I can't not do them. So when I remember them while playing, I'll stop to have these tasks finished. I'm the type that only plays just to relieve stress. That's the positive effect of gaming to me.

But, I've seen a lot of people, be it kids or adults, spending almost all of their time with video games. On my way to school, I can see few students going to computer shops to play games instead of going to school. <_< I feel sorry for their parents who sacrifices a lot for them. Some adults, instead of working or finding a job, prefers staying in their houses to play games. Another bad effect is that these games don't give physical exercise. I don't own a Wii but I think this might be an exemption as I've seen some games which requires you to more your body like dancing. Still, going outdoors to play with others is still different. But as for me, who lives in the city, space for playing outside is the problem. Also, I don't really interact with my neighbors as they are not of my age. They're 3 to 10-year-old children and parents.

So for me, like the other users said, gaming is fine as long as it doesn't consume too much of your time or doesn't affect your health and your tasks. :)

Video games can connect you with friends, help you break the ice, improve brain functions, hell, they can even help you get into shape! The suspense gets more oxygen flowing through your system, and they have even helped people improve their art skills! You say they make you lazy? They encourage physical activity! The 3ds system is also a pedometer! Streetpass helps you meet new people! I've made my statement.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

I agree that we can do something more productive instead of playing video games. I'm not that much of a gamer but I still play some games. In fact, I also consider playing video games as one of my hobbies. I admit that when I really like the game, I play for like 4-8 hours. ^_^ Mostly when I play, I make sure that all of the things I have to do like school works are already done. There are times that I forget some things too but still, I can't not do them. So when I remember them while playing, I'll stop to have these tasks finished. I'm the type that only plays just to relieve stress. That's the positive effect of gaming to me.

But, I've seen a lot of people, be it kids or adults, spending almost all of their time with video games. On my way to school, I can see few students going to computer shops to play games instead of going to school. <_< I feel sorry for their parents who sacrifices a lot for them. Some adults, instead of working or finding a job, prefers staying in their houses to play games. Another bad effect is that these games don't give physical exercise. I don't own a Wii but I think this might be an exemption as I've seen some games which requires you to more your body like dancing. Still, going outdoors to play with others is still different. But as for me, who lives in the city, space for playing outside is the problem. Also, I don't really interact with my neighbors as they are not of my age. They're 3 to 10-year-old children and parents.

So for me, like the other users said, gaming is fine as long as it doesn't consume too much of your time or doesn't affect your health and your tasks. :)

Really, it depends on how you look at it. While games don't have a "true value" to a lot of people, it depends on the game itself and your mentality towards it. There are tons of educational games, and a lot of hardcore gamers have much more in-depth analytical skills and faster reflexes (due to having to constantly think and react in some games, like FPS's). And you can learn about history and stuff from some games as well.

Really, it depends on how you look at it. While games don't have a "true value" to a lot of people, it depends on the game itself and your mentality towards it. There are tons of educational games, and a lot of hardcore gamers have much more in-depth analytical skills and faster reflexes (due to having to constantly think and react in some games, like FPS's). And you can learn about history and stuff from some games as well.

Well, yeah. Just like what I've said, I'm not totally against gaming as it also gives good things for the gamer. I played educational games years ago (when I was 7 until 10) and these are the games that help me in my studies. Now, I don't play them anymore that's why I just stated the current benefit of gaming to me -- relieving stress (entertainment). That's the value of gaming to me. I prefer studying history with books but I agree to that. What I'm against is that some people choose to prioritize playing those "non-educational" games more than their work, school, or tasks and spending the whole day doing nothing but playing these type of games.

Durr, vidja gaems r evul waest of tiem. Dey no gud 4 nutin, i seed on tv dat dey weast of tiem so i belieeeve dem. Ohhh technology, it's sooo evil, it must be evil, change is always bad!Interests? Cool, be interested in anything, BUT OH NO, WAIT, IF IT'S ON A CONSOLE OR COMPUTER, IT'S SUDDENLY NOT AN INTEREST BUT EVILLL ADDICTION. Because enjoying myself can only be dictated by what you say it can. Sure. People like this and many of these commenters crack me up.

There's alot of comments here from people that seem completely out of touch with reality.The fact of the matter is, video games have taken the place of reading a good book, playing a musical instrument, socializing in person, going for a hike / swim / bike etc., 'insert normal behavior' here. If you think all of the aforementioned are not as important in your life than playing video games, then you have indeed gone off the deep end.We're not talking about a couple hours a week here, we're talking about countless hours every night, every weekend, after school / work. That is a sickness and should be treated as such.You just don't realize it's a sickness because of all the other so called 'friends' you think you have, that do the exact same thing.It is my firm belief that consoles and indeed all PC games be banned outright. It is literally destroying the lives of millions of children, teenagers and adults of all ages. In many many cases, the addiction could be likened to cocaine or alcohol abuse. Obviously due to video games being a multi-billion dollar industry, my wish of a ban won't happen anytime soon, but it's a valid and highly appropriate request.I realize this post is going to annoy and outright infuriate those who thrive on video games. My question to you though is, why are you thriving on video games? Don't you dare even bring a crippled person into the discussion. That's simply an excuse for able bodies people to play video games for countless hours.

I think there are a lot of games that train various aspects of the brain to function better. Such as how Lumosity games do. Most people aren't playing these kinds of games though and I agree its just melting there brains.