xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
squeaky

Career Choice May Affect Life Expectancy

Depression. Obesity. Cigarette smoking. And last but not least, cancer. Listed above, among many others, are all contributors to an earlier deathbed. The aforementioned issues are the more notorious ones of the bunch, usually identifiable to the average person. But there are also factors that dwell in subtlety which may lead to an earlier end. One example of such subtlety is an individual?s career choice. According to a study of former students who attended Glasgow University in Scotland, certain majors may lead to a younger death. Particularly art and law students, who are more susceptible to respiratory diseases and lung cancer, as a result of their tendency to engage in cigarette smoking. Artistic individuals and law students usually light up for different reasons. People who major in performing arts, notably ballet dancers, smoke to suppress their appetite in order to remain thin. As for law students, their choice is driven by higher amounts of stress level, and the need to stay awake during long work hours. Art students usually concoct their ideas and pieces from a negative past, usually of social and or economic deficiency. Because of this, depression and other psychological problems play a role in a person?s lifestyle. Artistic people tend to be moodier than others, hence the higher suicide rate in creative personas. Other factors that tie into determining life expectancy include economic class, and of course, genetics. Family background and childhood experiences are also a key component; science and medical students are known to come from more affluent environments, thus living longer lives. In addition to this information, people involved in medical professions will avoid smoking activities to set better examples for their patients. But for individuals who are deprived of a decent upbringing, they will unconsciously accept their given surroundings as a matter of truth. For example, a child who comes from a family who smokeswill involuntarily think it is fine to smoke. Although certain professions may lead to a shorter life, they do not falter to serve a purpose in the world. According to Truong, every profession is destined to have its ups and downs, and how a person copes with stress will most likely affect the outcome of their life.

Yeah career choices sure affect people's lifestyle coz its the choices and chances that affect our life more than anything else. Some students are more likely to get themselves engaged in a luxurious(not to mean moneywise, its the care less and enjoy more attitude ) lifestyle and this is bound to negate their aspect of a healthy life.

As you said in this life it might not only be sickness and disese that can terminate our good earning leaving others things can do so interms of thise issue of life or futuer carier i do hope that it affect most people greatly inlife based on the things i have seen there are cases in which a family who didnt have doctors in their linage they will like any of their child to be one so by doing that maybe the childs desire was to be an engineer but since he dosent have any other alternative he will adhere to his parents wisheswhch migth not favour him in future and can lead to crisis;LETS SAY HE'S A DOCTOR and he is working at a hospital which many patients troops in and out he may mistakely administer drugs that are not suppose to be takeing imediatly to the suffering patient and it may result to abnormall rectoin thereby causing another alarm for other diseasesso in this life lets parents allow their kids to choose thier life by enabling them to choose that future carrer.again if they continue o persuade them in choosing these courses for them they will end up being the people that gives bribe for promotion and this will cause a slow in technical skill development and reduce the rate of development.finally i discourage parents or any one who will choose any carrer for his or her relations remember that its not only diseases that can terminate life but inapproprate life planing can harm and is more dangerous than cancerthink wiseit s only the fool that uses his legs to know how deep an ocean isfor all the people that are reading this post i hope you will never be a victim of thisTHANK YOUYOUR PROSPERITY IS MY CONCERNGEORGEN

I never really thought about it that way other than childhoods that when you grow up in groups of people that do smoke you might do it just because. Some see it as a way to release stress but really I don't see a point in it. Right now I don't plan on smoking, and I don't want to. Someone close to me smoke and now he is coughing up storms all around and it sounds horrible. You also can't do physical activities for a long period of time without having trouble breathing. Of course there is not just smoking like stated before but there is obesity which a lot of the time just starts from a lazy day around the house becoming a habit of eating or you just start out that way. It's all things I plan to stay away from no matter how hard it gets.

Definetly especially if you are choosing to go into medicine. Most doctors work shifts where they dont even sleep. Anyone watch greys?? hahah but you can see they're on calls where they get no sleep and tonnnns of stress. And they're always on the go. its like your life revolves around your career and you always have to keep moving. well there'll be that day were you suddenly just stop. EEK

Well career choice does effect life expectancy depending on weather you're a soldier or a teacher. I hate how now it has become a trend in India that only doctors or engineers are good people. Tensions, working conditions and location effect how your body functions and how you mold your body. Timing and stress levels in job also effects how you work along with how you spend your body. Not only work but when you go back home and if you actually work out and stay healthy it will not matter what job you choose.

I think it`s to early for young child to choose life type and his career when he is in 8th grade. He probably havent found something that he will enjoy doing. I thought that i knew what do i want to be, but now when i am in this school, day by day i see that i have chose the wrong way. I m not a quitter and i wont change the school but still, voice inside is telling me that i have screwed it. I should have listened to my father and go to other school.

I never really thought about it that way other than childhoods that when you grow up in groups of people that do smoke you might do it just because. Some see it as a way to release stress but really I don't see a point in it. Right now I don't plan on smoking, and I don't want to. Someone close to me smoke and now he is coughing up storms all around and it sounds horrible. You also can't do physical activities for a long period of time without having trouble breathing. Of course there is not just smoking like stated before but there is obesity which a lot of the time just starts from a lazy day around the house becoming a habit of eating or you just start out that way. It's all things I plan to stay away from no matter how hard it gets.

Yeah, that's what being a doctor have to live by. Sacrificing all your time for your career... it's just too busy to have a stable family (although it is possible to do). But still, I prefer Computer Science than the medical field. Although programming does cause stress, the feeling you get for completing it is worth it.

I think that career has a certain effect on one's life expectancy but it is for sure not the only or the major influence. It is one's attitude towards life and living that mostly affects our life expectancy. For example, if you are a manager with an extremely stressful job, it is your attitude towards your job that is the most important and will prevent your organism from destroying itself. You can be an ethical manager and try to be good with money not as your primary goal - but happines... or you can be totally money oriented which will lead to unhappiness and disease. It is the same with easier or less stressful jobs like in the kindergarden for example...you can beat yourself to death, because you are not making an extremely powerful career and get cancer in a few years, or you can enjoy working with children and don't worry at all...So happines and consequently longer life expectancy is depends preety much upon our own ATTITUDE TOWARD LIFE..best whises