xisto Community
alexviii

Saddam Hussein

Death penalty?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for life sentence. He's an old looking dude, doesn't seem like he's gonna last long anyways. He treated people horribly, and i'm sure jail is no paradise. Just no "good behavior" privileges. It amazes me sometimes, when someone is supposed to last their entire life in prison, yet their jail time gets cut short for "good behavior".

Would've been a reasonable punishment imo. Just stamp his card "NEVER to be released", considering jails in the middle east wouldnt be any paradise at all.

I voted him for death penalty by shooting..How many people have he and his sons killed by shooting, torture, etc.? Thousands. Nothing will compensate for the deaths of thousands of innocent Iraqis, and imo more Iraqis would be dead if Saddam or his sons werent taken from power.I believe he is 69, so if was taken care well in prison in America he should last till 80s?

Edited by mojoman (see edit history)

Leviticus 24:17

^^ Should be considered when justifying yourself ^^

Not that I am disagreeing with the material you have quoted, but curious about what the Q'uar'an has to say about the same issue. Could someone quote an appropriate passage from it, please. Comparison might be interesting.

*EDIT*

Never mind. I found it. Seems they positions are not that far apart. Islamic Law specifies the requirement of a "Court Imposed" Death Sentence. No mention of Law Cours in Leviticus. Unless I need to read it again.

Here is piece from a site I found. Reference Source to follow. Bolding for emphasis added by me.

Despite popular impressions to the contrary, Moslem penal law is characterized by a strong undercurrent of clemency and sympathy for the oppressed. Punishment is ordered to be free of any spirit of vengeance or torture.

Islam professes the basic principle that everyone has the right to life. However, this principle, stated in the Koran, allows for an exception. Killing is only allowed when a court of law demands it: Do not kill a Soul which Allah has made sacred except through the due process of law. Therefore, this exception authorizes the administration of capital punishment when Islamic law dictates. Intriguingly, the Islamic law position would seem to be the same as that found in the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution and such international instruments as the European Convention on Human Rights.

Islamic law arose out of various sources, but more specifically from the teachings of the prophet Muhammad. It developed in a formal sense during the seventh and eighth centuries (670-720 AD). Its two most important elements are the Sharia and the Fiqh. Sharia refers to the sacred laws and ways of life proscribed by Allah. The Koran and the Sunna or Sunnah comprise the Sharia. These are considered the most important sources of Islamic law. The Koran is considered to be the primary source of guidance because it is regarded as the spoken word of Allah. The Sunnah refers to the words and actions of the Prophet. The Sharia is said to deal with ideology and faith, behavior and manners, and practical daily matters. It is a comprehensive body of norms covering every aspect of life including international, constitutional, administrative, criminal, civil, family, and religion. The Fiqh, or Islamic jurisprudence, on the other hand, refers to the legal rulings of the Muslim scholars derived from the Shariah. The Fiqh is a second important source of guidance for Islamic law.

Islamic penal law consists of four systems or categories. In the first, that of Haad or Houdoud, important crimes deemed to threaten the very existence of Islam are punishable pursuant to penalties set by the Koran itself, or by the Sunna or Sunnah. Islamic jurists consider that these sanctions are set and immutable, and conclude that the judge is left with no discretion. Houdoud crimes consist of adultery, defamation, theft, robbery, rebellion, drunkenness, and apostasy. Several Houdoud crimes are punishable by death, specifically robbery, adultery, and apostasy.

The second system, Quissas, concerns intentional crimes against the person. Its fundamental premise is the lex talionis, that is, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, and is set out in the Koran, in verse 5.32 (further developed by verse 17.33). Actually, the lex talionis appears as early as the Code of Hammurabi. Even then it was a progressive penal reform aimed at enhancing the principle of proportionality, although it is now seen as a basis for retribution. According to the Koran, it is the victim or his or her heirs who are to inflict the punishment, although they do this under the supervision of public authorities. The victims of such crimes may pardon the offender, in which case the penalty set by Quissas will not be imposed. In such cases, two other systems of crime and punishment become relevant. These are Diya, which prescribes restitution or compensation for the victim, and Tazir, by which public authorities set their own punishment and in which the judge has wide discretion. Under Tazir, public authorities may provide for capital punishment, but no religious text requires them to do so.

Under Islamic law, execution should be public in order to enhance its alleged effect of general deterrence. It is to be carried out with the sword, as a general rule, except in the case of adultery, where lapidation is employed.

Although essentially all Moslem or Islamic countries retain the death penalty in their domestic law, practice varies considerably from one to another. Some, like Iran and Iraq, are enthusiastic practitioners, while others, such as Tunisia, conduct executions in only the rarest of cases. The religious argument is invoked frequently, yet the diversity of practice would suggest there is little consensus even among Moslems as to the scope of capital punishment. For example, Sudan has taken the position that offenders may be executed for crimes committed while under the age of eighteen, in accordance with provisions of Islamic law. Yemen, on the other hand, recently banned the juvenile death penalty, although it was argued that this step was taken despite Islamic law. The Libyan Arab Jamahiriya recently informed the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary, and Arbitrary Executions, Ms. Asma Jahangir, that the aim of the Libyan society is to abolish the death penalty.

In 1981, the Islamic Council adopted a Universal Islamic Declaration of Rights, which states: (a) Human life is sacred and inviolable and every effort shall be made to protect it. In particular no one shall be exposed to injury or death, except under the authority of the law. The final phrase appears to permit capital punishment and is in any case consistent with the practice of all Islamic states. The Islamic Conference has prepared a document on human rights and Islam, in which Article 2 guarantees the right to life to every human being adding: il appartient aux individus, societes et Etats de proteger ce droit contre toute violation eventuelle, et il est interdit de mettre fin a une vie quelconque, sauf lorsque cela est en accord avec Ia charia.

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I put it like this I got tickets for the hanging $5000 includes plane ticket and bus ride. At least we are not the one's who tried him for murder his own people did so HA!!I wouldn't be surprise that the moment he is pronounce dead a million videos will be uploaded showing it is done.

I wouldn't be surprise that the moment he is pronounce dead a million videos will be uploaded showing it is done.

Wouldnt suprise me if regular posters @ youtube had "fake" versions of it put up before the actual hanging of Hussein.
Edited by arnz (see edit history)

[. . .] but curious about what the Q'uar'an has to say about the same issue. [. . .]

[. . .]and is set out in the Koran, in verse 5.32 (further developed by verse 17.33) [. . .]

[. . .]

Ah, i would have quoted the verses 5:32 and 17:33 as well. They fit quite well in this topic.

But since i don't see that the quote includes the verses, i shall include them here.

5:32 (Khalifa)

Because of this, we decreed for the Children of Israel that anyone who murders any person who had not committed murder or horrendous crimes, it shall be as if he murdered all the people. And anyone who spares a life, it shall be as if he spared the lives of all the people. Our messengers went to them with clear proofs and revelations, but most of them, after all this, are still transgressing.

17:33 (Khalifa)

You shall not kill any person--for GOD has made life sacred--except in the course of justice. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice. Thus, he shall not exceed the limits in avenging the murder, he will be helped.

I was looking for the option: Others. Haha! I chose death penalty (shooting). Well, I don't think that's enough for him. He should be tortured or something. I know I may sound evil but he has been more evil towards his people. Sorry if I'm being rude.They chose to hang him.

I was looking for the option: Others. Haha! I chose death penalty (shooting). Well, I don't think that's enough for him. He should be tortured or something. I know I may sound evil but he has been more evil towards his people. Sorry if I'm being rude.
They chose to hang him.

they did choose to hang him?

now that is way too fast.. me and my friends were debating LONG PAINFUL sentences for him...

we were thinking about once a day, dip a limb (arm, leg, etc...) into hot tar and put him back in his jail cell. then killing him.... but i dont care, so long as he's dead :blink:

I am totally in favor of the worst possible death penalty for Saddam hussein after witnessing along with the whole world the hellish deeds he has done. As I understand people like Saddam hussein arent normal i.e; they are mentally inconsistent and thats why the dreams of world domination and the tendency to hurt others. Saddam should be hanged until dead or shooted or whatever however all of this should be televised and shown worldwide thereby creating a hope of nipping another saddam right in the bud.

they did choose to hang him?
now that is way too fast.. me and my friends were debating LONG PAINFUL sentences for him...

we were thinking about once a day, dip a limb (arm, leg, etc...) into hot tar and put him back in his jail cell. then killing him.... but i dont care, so long as he's dead :wacko:

Hahah! I was thinking of that too. But that'll make us similar to himself. :blink: Don't want to be in his footsteps torturing others. Whether he deserves it or not. Just make sure he's dead.

Well if they were smart the make the loose loose enough so he doesn't die on the first drop, just let him struggle for bit (5 minutes). Then he can think about what will be happening to him in the underworld.