xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zain500

Do Viruses Damage The Hardware

yeah, most viruses don't damage your hardware, but some do. they alter your settings making your hardware overheat which leads to it being spoilt. i've also heard some viruses can corrupt your harddrive n even after reformatting it, it still won't work that well..not too sure tho o.Oeither way, whichever it damages be it software or hardware, viruses are bad news, its best to play safe and keep your pc safe. get a good antivirus and anti-spyware prog, u can use a firewall too. as for the site you visit, don't download things from suspicious sites. stay virus-free!

technically, a virus is a software creation created in C, C+ and C++ language, and is a program that accesses your msdos and exploits your operating system, and/or virus software running on your pc. it doesnt affect physical objects tho, but it will go hitler on whatever software that piece of hardware uses.

umm no? technically thats not what it is...its just something that is wide-spread., it doesnt matter what it is made in. and why is this topic still going anyways its getting pretty much the same answers each reply.

That is good to know, I had no Idea they could affect hardware, well actually its still software that is affected, but its the software that has control over the hardware apparently.

:lol: Do viruses damage the hardwarePlease tell me

Most motherboards have a onboard virusscanner that you can put on, enter your bios true pressing DEL or F8 when you boot up. And read the manuel of your motherboard. If this dusent help then tell me do you think you have a virus? most viruses enter your memery and stuff the nyu woudt be eve nable to bootup.

yeah a few years ago on my old computer i had a virus that even when my computer was shut down if it had the power chord still connected my computer would play fur elise through like the sound card i think? i dont know but it just kept playing it unless i unplugged the computer

My Aunt bought a fairly high end system about 6 months ago and brought it home with most of the essentials up and running. Unfortunately, she's not really computer savvy and so she made one little, tiny, error in judgement - never installed any kind of Virus protection.So I get a call on a Thursday afternoon "Can you come by and take a look at my computer? It's just shutting down all by itself!" I didn't know at the time that she hadn't put any virus protection on it.So I arrived on Friday, booted the machine up, and played around with it for over an hour...with no problems whatsoever. THEN, I went into a free game that she'd downloaded recently and suddenly everything started going whacky. It sputtered, wheezed and WHAM! Off it went.It booted right back up again and stayed up until I accessed another game from the same section of the Start Menu. I noticed then that there was no virus protection so I downloaded AVGs free stuff and I'll be a monkey's uncle if it didn't go right back to normal.So, in answer to your query - YES, there are viruses that mess with hardware. To fix problems like that, make sure you get the latest and greatest virus defs and run a full system scan. Then, turn the machine off, PULL THE BATTERY and listen for the capacitors to let go of their charge. There's usually a very high pitch, soft whine when that happens and the machine becomes noticably more still. That gets rid of anything that might hide on the mother board and cards. Boot back up and run a full system scan AGAIN...you should be fine after that. I'd run your preferred adware program in the process too, just to get rid of all the nasties.

-' date='Nov 1 2006, 03:23 PM' post='292122']yeah, most viruses don't damage your hardware, but some do. they alter your settings making your hardware overheat which leads to it being spoilt. i've also heard some viruses can corrupt your harddrive n even after reformatting it, it still won't work that well..not too sure tho o.O

They do make HDD un-useable... i hat one that did, a brand new 600gb external :'(

error i get after formatting a zillion times:

Disk Read Error
Press ALT-CTRL-DEL to restart.:'( :'( :blink:
Edited by dufferz (see edit history)

Some virus dmg the motherboard immediately. That was wat happen to my previous comp...

Yeah... I have heard that virus called Chernobil spoils the motherboard.Last year something happened with my HDD. In the morning when I opened computer it didn't start. It was unable even to format HDD. I thing it was because of virus. Eventually I have changed HDD. Some people say there are viruses that makes work of bios unstable and harms hardware with this way.

yes...sadly there are some nerds out there that have NOTHING better to do than hurt peoples computers....so they just felt as if they HAD to create viruses. and some of which hurt hardware, but as people before me have sadi most will damage your software....but this can end up being just as bad as hardware....believe me! good luck!

I wouldn't say that it would be as bad as the hardware because you could always just do a system restore, or format your drive. With hardware you would be forced to pay for new parts to fix whatever the idiots broke :lol: