xisto Community
brandon10092

Crt Tv's Will Turn Into Lcd And Plasma Tv's? How long before the traditional TV will become obsolete?

How long do you think the traditional CRT TV will be around before it becomes obsolete and it is replaced by LCD and Plasma TV's? It seems the prices on CRT TV's are going way down and soon they probably won't even be sold. The same thing happened with video gaming. Before, every system used cartridges like the Nintendo 64, while the Dreamcast and Playstation stuck with disks, and after that cartridge gaming became obsolete (except with Gameboys.) What do you guys think?

I'm not very much aware of the advantages and disadvantages of those flat screens over old-fashioned CRT screens, so I can't really make out how important people find it to replace it. But my guess is that in 5 years nobody wishes to buy a CRT instead of a LCD/plasma anymore, because the flat screens will look way much prettier than those big tube things, which take up lots of space. As far as I know, nobody desires cd-players, discman's, anymore either, they take up lots of space aswell, compared to mp3 players.

This depends how quickly they can roll out HD TV coverage. At the moment, most people can't see a reason to get a flat screen TV to replace their CRT box. Slowly as more channels start broadcasting HD, and for a much lower price compared to what it is at the moment then people might see a reason to switch. The design element of flat screens is also diminished by the fact that to plug anything in you have to have wires trailing down a wall and to various boxes in a cabinet. After the obsession with painting everything in sight beige or magnolia, black electronics cables show up.

CRT TVs are already on the way out and Plasmas and LCDs are going to start leaving the market with the next 2 years because they now have started to create Laser TVs that are the same depth as LCDs, are brighter than Plasmas and have no half life plus they are very inexpensive to make. the first model is supposed to come out for like 1,000 and its a 30-something inch tv. They will be nice.

I agree with the above post. CRT monitors, which are used as screens for television and screens for computers are being used less and less, due to the modern type of screen, LCD, being available.As said above, LCD screens are a lot tidier, so many people are moving to them. They take up less space and do the same job. High Definition Television is also possible on the LCD screens in great detail, this will be one of the major features which pull new people towards the type of monitor.Cost is still an issue at the moment, but I reckon that in a couple of years time, these high tech LCD monitors will be available at the price of the current standard CRT monitor. If this laser monitor comes into the market, I believe with what the above post says. I feel that both LCD and CRT would be knocked out. Laser would probably do just as well and be less expensive.

Probably people will never leave TV because TV was a great invention.. TV exist's for almost a centurys!!!!!

I agree with the above post. CRT monitors, which are used as screens for television and screens for computers are being used less and less, due to the modern type of screen, LCD, being available.

that's true xD

Well you probably noticed that larger companies (sony, toshiba, panasonic etc. and some medium sized companies such as "Insignia", "Prima" and "Akai") stopped making CRT monitors (at least, the traditional non-flat ones) and will soon be stopping flat screen TVs (I think). This is just like black and white TVs which are being sold a lot less than the past (and large/medium companies stopped these altogether for like 25 years).

I am still using a CRT Tv and the only reason I have not changed is because I do not have the finances to change to a LCD or Plasma. I do not know the exact details about HD TV. All I know about it is that its resolution would be significantly better than the current standards like NTSC and PAL. With regards to Plasma and LCDs, in terms of the viewing experience by the user. It is much better, in the past people used to be watching 15 inch screens and now they can watch more than twice of that size. It is more clearer and for sure the viewing experience is tremendous. I have watched tv on a LCD before, and especially football matches, the atmosphere is almost right in front of you. And yes for sure the CRT TV will disappear sooner rather than later. Majority of the people nowadays are switching to LCDs, there is only a handful of them still sticking to CRT because they simply cannot afford LCDs at the moment. I think many people prefer LCD to Plasma because of the longer life span. But I am not sure, I think LCD and Plasma will continue to be the majority of the customer choices because of their characteristics. I am thinking of another 7 years for them to be in the market and in 2 years for CRT TVs to completely disappear.

CRT is the old stuff when people buy new tvs now they are normaly lcd or plasma...but the one thing about the CRT is it has better HD becasue its been around for longer they know how to do more stuff with it unlike lcd and plasma...anyways it should be the way of the past within a few years to 10 at the most id think...

Its definately in the near future. Atleast the "tube" TV's, and not the flatscreen CRT's that are high definition as much...Heres another option that I know alot of people have been going towards (myself included): I recently replaced my computer monitor and TV with 1 product. I bought a 30" Dell widescreen monitor - the monitor having the hookups capable of adding my cable box to the back of it, along with my computer (obviously) works out really well. While I'm working on some web stuff I can just throw on the picture in picture and watch some tube while doing my work. Amazing product in my opinion, stunning looks as well; clean, crisp design.

I agree and disagree. I agree that soon Crt's will be gone, but I disagree with the anology to videogames and T.v's. T.vs last a loooong time while Videos game consoles come and go. You could have a t.v for 5 years and a console for 3. Still, I do think Crt's will be gone, but not untill a few years!

Yeah, I agree. Like I said earlier, they will be phasing out, not too fast though. They still provide a good alternative to people who dont want the high tech "theatre experience" like others may. I heard somewhere that all broadcasts will be in HD or digital in a few years, making it nescessary for people to own a HDTV in order to receive television broadcasts. Any agreement with that? Anyone else heard such reports?

Cathode Ray Tube monitors, definitely are on the brink of extinction.... It is definitely, only a matter of time before LCDs come and push Cathode Ray Tube monitors out of the market.. LCD monitors have their own advantages which makes it more appealing to people day by day.. For people concerned with looks, it is trendy and sleek looks.. And for those obsessed with quality , LCDs do give crisp and clear display. And if you are a person concerned about your electricity bills, then maybe LCD would be a good option in that case too.. So , with all these features, i do not see any reason for Cathode Ray Tubes ,to exist anymore.. One minor issue is the additional cost of LCD displays over the Cathode Ray Tube displays.."Change alone is unchanging"Obviously, everything in this world is bound to change ... atleast in the tech arena... So, it is apt to welcome the LCD brigade and bid farewell to Good Old Cathode Ray Tubes..