xisto Community
gameratheart

My Idea To Keep Antimatter In A Matter Container using fans in all directions to keep it in place.

yea i was thinking of magnets both repelling the anti-matter, it would be more stable than to have both magnets attracting them, because if one magnet is even slightly off, the anti-matter would be pulled at the magnet and annhialate.

ahh atleast now i know what anti-matter is!And it wouldnt be much safer as if they were both repelling and one failed then the anti-matter would be pushed into it and anhialate.I dont understand the hype about it actually, we're probably never going to ever use it constructively.

I wasn't talking about failing, I was talking about one becoming weaker than the other. Either way it would still be repelling on some level so the anti-matter wouldn't reach the magnet unless it either fails or becomes so weak is almost has no magnetic charge. But until that point the magnet will continue repelling the anti-matter even if the anti-matter happens to be close to that magnet.

well i htink the opposite of your plan would work, what if you were to contain it inside a vacuum, where the air is being removed from all directions, so as not to pull the antimatter through the vacuum thus destroying it. what do you think?

No. Fans are, for all they seem to be, objects than induce airflow that is, overall, ordered but locally random. Put it this way, if you switch on a fan and let it blow on some fine powder, you'd find that while the mass generally moves in one general direction, each particle follows an erratic path severely different from the others. Now, such "careless, randomness" is simply quite unacceptable in handling antimatter.

Yeah, you could use magnetic fields to contain antimatter and, FYI, scientists have already been able to do so. It is the most promising way to contain antimatter but the energy required to do so is so tremendous for the human mind at the present.

Gravity? Well, I suppose you can fire a stream of gravitons on (almost) all sides so the infinitesimal speck remains in place. The only problem is that gravitons exist only in theory. Nobody has ever been able to detect or capture an actual graviton. Compared to the "far nigh impossible at the moment", "try again in 2 millenia" magnetic field approach, this gravitational containments is "hell no, not even 2 millenia is enough, try 200"

Lastly, for the guy who denied antimatter as a figment of some scientist's mind, we have also been able to observe, detect, capture and handle antimatter (at, like I said, the cost of a great amount of energy). In other words, it does exist.

Also, the opposite of something is not nothing. It's like saying the opposite of one is zero. If it were the case, what is the opposite of two? A lesson in basic mathematics: the opposite of one is negative one. In that way, the opposite of two is negative two, and so on, and so forth. In english, the opposite of something is not nothing but sqxgrplthing. :)

I do watch stark trek but don't remember hearing that what episodes was that match or in what series was that mention as well?

I don't remember exactly either, I guess it was in one of the TNG episodes (since DS9 only rarely involved warp cores, compared to other series, the Defiant was an almost flawless --though uncomfortable-- spaceship :() and the Voyager-environment allowed for way more interesting stories than mere basic federal technology (species unknown to the Federation until then developed way more interesting stuff; in the final episodes of Voyager we even get to see one of the 6 known Borg transwarp hubs :lol:)...

...anyways, back to topic:

I'll just quote the Wikipedia article on the War Drive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive):

Warp theory and technology

For a more in-depth discussion of warp propulsion systems, refer to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda. Chapter 5, "Warp Propulsion Systems", discusses the following topics:

* Warp field theory and application, including warp measurement, velocities, and limits.

* Matter-antimatter reaction assembly, including reactant injectors, magnetic constriction segments, reaction chamber, the role of dilithium, and power transfer conduits.

* Warp field nacelles, including plasma injection system, warp field coils, and warp propulsive effect.

* Antimatter storage and transfer, warp propulsion system fuel supply, Bussard ramjet fuel replenishment, and onboard antimatter generation

* Engineering operations and safety, emergency shutdown procedures, and catastrophic emergency procedures

However, the shows often contradicted both the TNG and DS9 technical manuals.

[...]

Mechanics

Warp cores utilize a matter-antimatter reaction that is regulated by dilithium crystals. When matter and antimatter are exposed, they annihilate each other upon contact. This annihilation releases colossal amounts of energy. Dilithium crystals are used to regulate the reaction because they are nonreactive to anti-matter when bombarded with high levels of radiation. The matter used in the reaction is usually deuterium, a form of hydrogen, and the antimatter is usually antideuterium, the corresponding antimatter to deuterium. The matter and anti-matter reaction inside the dilithium matrix is usually referred to as the matter-antimatter reaction assembly (MARA). The MARA is surrounded by a magnetic field to prevent the highly reactive anti-matter from escaping the assembly. The energy is then transferred into a highly energetic form of plasma called warp plasma.

This warp plasma then travels to the warp nacelles via magnetic conduits. [...]

Warp cores can use other sources of energy besides a MARA, such as an artificial wormhole. On starships, warp cores are often the main source of energy for primary systems in addition to propulsion.

Use

The warp core is one possible way to generate enough power for lightspeed travel. In case the ship needs to be destroyed, the warp core can become a powerful bomb.

[...]

--well, parts of the warp core is quite well explained. To quote a remark of one of the producers of the show when asked how the Heisenberg Compensator [a device used to allow beaming] works simply said "Quite well. Thanks." :(--

that article in wiki is just lot's of use of big words. i don't see how that explains anything possibly know to human nature.although we would like it otherwise our biomechanical enviroment just isn't setup for space enviroment. research has been done but that doesn't change simple fact that we are just humans living on earth -- on earth rules.so why all of that talk about matter- antimatter.well that is probably beacouse we hope one of us is going to be "Da Vinci" of our time. Basicly all of us figure that if we at least don't think about that "crazy star trek talk" that something like that sometimes might not egzist.well i'm one of those who thinks that talking is important so keep up.about matter and antimater.. i guess it all has to be in right balance, and i hope by future testing of that kind we don't blow up our planet.. well at least we''ll all been living in space --at least for a while :lol:

Edited by matak (see edit history)

if an explosion occurs when anti-matter and matter meet then what is anti-matter kept in? isnt everything made up of matter?...this is so confusing...someone go ahead a make me feel stupid and answer it

uhh....oh. i thought he was saying he had his idea and i was giving a counter-example....just ignore me...

But the thing though brainless warp drive is made up and anything that has to do with it is as well. Although I don't doubt their is some actual science in what is being mention about warp drive. It's just impractical to be considered any real ration thought.Although it would take many experiements and billions of dollars Do you think we would in the any near future see this actually happen?

Well, according to the Guinness book of Records 2003, the biggest producer of anti-matter is a laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, USA, and produces around 100 billion protons of anti-matter every hour. This adds up to to about 1 billionth of a gram every year.

At that rate of production, we won't have a significant amount of anti-matter to store. Not for a very long time. I don't think we're going to see an anti-matter storage device for hundreds of years.

First all fans would hae to be at the same speed witch if one breaks the whole thing messes up and kaboom. And how would you get the matter into the container? Good idea but i don't think it would work. And space has nothing for fans to blow.

Your diagram is pretty... creative but I doubt it would actually work. For one, I've already posted a lot of times here that using fans will not work mainly because the "force" exerted by fans is primarily an illusion from a stream of air, which is matter, by the way. Fans will not work in vacuum, if you also need to know.

Another thing is that in your diagram, there are lots of opportunities for matter to annihilate antimatter. One if from the streams of air created by the fans. Another is from the "gates" of the container holding matter. Lastly, the fans themselves are made of matter.

Really, from what I've read in this thread so far, I can only believe using EM fields (because they're already using such a methodology) and gravity fields (because even is it's just in theory, it is sufficiently plausible)

Hmmn, any other fresh ideas? :lol: