xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Post/credit Count Add-on I cant believe that I just thought of it.

I can't believe I just thought of after so long of being here. this is a simple code it terms of the idea but implentmenting it could be a challange but of course that would depend what need to be involoved.

To help people get good posts we should implent a credit counter somewhere in the post saying how much the post is worth. This way people can either edit their post to add on to it if they can (of course it has to be legit and all that). Also it will help learn that that better quality post is the best way to go any thoughts?

Counter Mod Plan

-Counter reads from the character length as based on the actual credit count.

-it would be displayed on the line next to date or next to the post number ie. Post #1 is worth <display counter "=post length" > credits

-it the counter would change depending on the edits made.

-(optional)pop up showing how many credits you have earn upon submitting a post

Sounds like a good idea, but: There is no way the counter could know if the post was of real content or something else. People would have to be basically honest with their posts. We legit posters would benefit from the information. Seems possible as there is already in place the script for the "Check Post Length" which would probably facilitate calculating credits as it counts characters.

thats how the credit system count is based on is the character length so, we would just add the counter most likly were we would see the date. Then it would adjust to the the edits made as well.Made a slight update to my original post based on what Mich posted earlier.

This sounds like a pretty decent idea. I like the sound of it. I thought though that would give out the credit system's secret. I guess the script that checks to see how many credits you have would have to be run before hand so that the script knows what to add by because you know the lower you are the easier it is to get credits.

While you are building that script, consider that it would have to be written using java or javascript (client side) otherwise there would need to be a page refresh once in a while. That would be hard on dial-uppers. And some people do not allow javascript. Others do not have java.Another idea is to show the members the number of credits earned on a pop-up immediately following the submission. Then they might edit the post and add some more content immediately, before they leave the Topic.???

pop up would be interesting but the actual coding would be done in php with the javascript for the pop up.But sadly though only a experience person can do this my level of coding is noob at best. For some reason I can't code by scratch I have a good memory and all I just choose not to remember all that code stuff, just ot much to remember and bit over welming as well.Any more ideas?

I'm worried about it being exploited. Does it only count alphanumeric characters or all ASCII?

well look at how are credits are being displayed at the top of the site every time we log in. It would follow that same procedure but in the post it will show how much it is worth. I highly doubt a counter display like that could get exploited like that.

This is an interesting modification. I always wanted to know how many credit points I earned after every post but it is a pity that I have to keep track of my original credits before posting. Is there any concrete plans regarding this new feature?I think the number of credits should be shown in each post as a textbox which will dynamically change after we have previewed or submit a reply. That way we can keep track of it, but of course there could be some changes to the layout

The script would also have to be able to note when quote tags are being entered and then it can ignore or go to the script and change the amount being given for the content in that tag until given. The same would have to be done with Code boxes. It'd have to be able to add and subtract credits based on what's being done really with BBCodes. If that can be done as well then you are good to go. I would think though that a box after you make the post will do. Or have it send a PM and have the modification be able to be turned on or off.

This is a great idea. I have post a lot of times thinking that i was going to get more (or less) credits so this would be a good way to measure which kind of posts you need to get credits being useful to the community.I see that there are some difficulties. My suggestion is to put in in the previsualization. When you preview your post it shows the number of credits you would earn. Then you can improve it or leave it that way. It would be cool and this way there won?t be no need to refresh the number constantly while you write.