xisto Community
kkrizka

Php5 Upgrade In The Future?

Hello,I've been trying to convert my site back to php4 (I've been using php5 for some time before my host went down) so I can start hosting it on Xisto. But I've hit a roadblock and have no idea what is wrong. It seems to me that I will find another free php5 host before I fix it. But I've spent several hours accumulating credits here, so I don't want them to go to waste. So my question is, is there a planned php5 upgrade in the future?I've search for threads mentioning php5 on this forum and found one. The argument against upgrade presented there was that if one day Xisto upgrades it, many people's scripts will stop working. Yet that seems a bit stupid to me. Is Xisto going to keep php4 forever, just because some scripts use it and force people to develop in php4 for, just so they can host it for free? Another argument was that PHP5 is quite new and there might be quite a lot of bugs still in it. I do agree with that statement, because the thread I read this in was created 2-3 months after the first stable release. But it's been a year since so I think most of the worst bugs has been fixed.Also it's possible to run both php4 and php5 on a server. I do this on my laptop and I know a friend of mine who has a site with godaddy has the opinion to switching between php4 and 5 just by changing the file extension from php to php5. If anyone is interested in how to do this, I can google up some sites about it.I would like to hear the opinion of the admins and other users on this issue.

PHP 5.1.x is still being updated and fixed for few memory leaks. So I wouldn't say it's free from bugs at this point.Xisto free web hosting, no ads offers PHP 4.4.2. PHP 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 were released August of this year (2006). It is still the stable version of PHP for free web hosting accounts. PHP 4.4.3 is available for Xisto - Web Hosting customers at this time.Perhaps in the future when server admin deems to fit, PHP version may be upgraded. However at this time there is not a discussion in place. The option to change to different PHP versions is a good suggestion. That is up to the owner of Xisto Corporation.

I just hate it when a host does not run the scripts you want it to. I like Xisto for a number of reasons but one of them is the fact they actually run the scripts I have which is great. It is hard to find great hosts these days but if trap upgrades its PHP version and some scripts do not work I will not be very happy.

@juiceI guess you should start updating your scripts then... xDI mean, as Buffalo told, the version 4.4.4 was released August of 2006 as it's the main stable version, however PHP5 is already being created for a while as kkrizka said...I really enjoyed the idea of being able to use both versions.

Not many webhosts use PHP 5.1 yet because there are security holes and bugs in it. Also not a lot of scripts out on the internet support php 5 yet. Im sure this will change and when it does the admins will update the server software to PHP 5