xisto Community
LeAnn Rimes My Angel

What If You Won A $42.000.000 Lottery Ticket? Or if it was a super huge Jack-pot worth even more?

A couple of months ago here in Canada in one of the lotteries. The grand prize was for $42.000.000 and I think about 4 or 5 people won. So the Jack-pot had to be splitted. But imagine if even a single person had won the huge Jack-pot. They would be able to buy a whole lot of stuff.For me if I had tried to play and if I had won. I would still work at my job but first I'd do alot of investing. Get myself a very nice car. Maybe buy a helicopter and let a few people I know have a nice chunk of money.I'd give some to a church and send money out to a few charities. Go on a nice long vacation. With some of my friends. And if I invest correctly I would never be poor again. But continue to get richer and richer depending of course and what I invest on. And I'd get a nice big house buy some of my favourite arcade games I have talked about before in the gaming sub-forum. What if you people won that size of a Jack-pot or if you won the $1.000.000.000 billion dollar prize on the Pepsi show that shows up on tv at least once a year.If I won the billion dollars I'd be set for life. I'd do pretty much what I'd do if I had won a $42.000.000 jack-pot. But I'd get a whole lot more but still invest to keep the money growing.

First, I would invest it... I would separate something like 80% and use let it parked on a bank so I would live by it's (don't know the word... the percentage you win by month) and the rest I would create a orphanate instead of donating to one plus buying me a car, not a ferrari, but a good car like a Civic or Vectra... Maybe a Peugeout 407! =D... I love this car....And I wouldn't stop studying... That's for sure!...The problem it's just a dream... =(.... One day maybe! xD

I was just going to write a topic about the lottery but you was faster!Anyway here in my country the maximum of the Jackpot arrived to 4,000,000$ What a shame!If I won 1 billion dollar, I would give them to poor people and pretend that I never won, of course some money will remain so I would go on a lonnnnnnng vacation until the money runs out.

Like the other posters, a nice long vacation would be nice. Maybe to somewhere that Opaque would choose to have the nice new servers installed at. That's what I'd do, buy Opaque a couple of state of the art Servers so he could control the Free Web Hosting market. He has been so good to us, that's the least I could do.

Actually, my mother and I were just talking the other day about what we would do if we won the lottery. I know what I would have to do first and foremost.. get it put into either a BUNCH of bank accounts or offshore somewhere. The reason I figured I would have to put it in a bunch of bank accounts is most of these banks around here are only insured for up to $100,000.00 so if the bank got robbed or something, I wouldn't want to only get 100 grand back haha... After I have gotten all my accounts in order, I would then try and decide how much I wanted to give to my family. I know I'd at least pay my sister about 10 grand for what she owes on her car. And probably help her and her husband and little baby get into a house instead of an apartment. I would give my mom a bunch of money so that she can never have to work again. I would buy my little sister a car when she turns 16. Then, after I've helped everyone I want to help, I would then go house hunting. Or even build a house. But that means a lot of travel because I know for a fact I dont want to live in texas. So if we moved out of texas somewhere I'd probably have to relocate my husbands bandmates with us because he would probably hate me forever if we moved away from those guys. Then I would probably start a business like band rehearsal rooms or something.. I know a ton of bands just starting out that are in desperate need of somewhere other than their parents garage that isnt as expensive as some of the rooms in Dallas... Then I know I would go on a shopping spree and then if I didnt feel like doing my laundry I could just buy another outfit.. that would get old though.. I do know one thing though, NO MORE RAMEN NOODLES FOR ME!!!

That is for sure a lot of money... If I ever get that amount of money, I would just put it in a bank... With +5% for a year, from my for example my $15,000,000 I will get $750000 for giving my money to the bank... With that amount of money for a year I can live like king...

I'd probably clear the bills first up, then go for a long vacation and invest a fair bit in the bank on a particular savings account with a high interest rate, that way money is still being made off a very lucky win. Also, even though I'm not too picky on cars (well the new ones anyway), I'd probably pick out a nice enough car to drive (none of the beat-up ones though).

Bank it. At the .49% interest rate we have here, 42 million would still net over two hundred thousand dollars worth of interest a year. However, tax is likely to remove about twenty million of that, but still, the interest would mount to one hundred thousand a year, greater than the avearge salary of the average American. The problem with this is that the United States does not insure monetary deposits of over one hundred thousand, so it is likely in my best interest to put the money in a money market account, netting about 7%, of a steady bond, S&E for an example. Of course, being the gambler that I am, a few million would go to the resource market, and try to increase my capital.

lol, i would not be here :), buy my own servers, invest money in shares, man i would buy a house, cars, but making sure only to spend less than half so i can afford to keep the stuff i bought. but i wouldn't like the attention so much, so maybe not too many stuff :). probally give heaps to help poverty/charityies that type of stuff. i would like to say that i would give it all to charities but i would have to see when the day comes (i did promise my friend i would buy him a kickass drum kit if i won lol)

I would most likely shove it in a bank somewhere or pay someone to invest it, and live off the interest. I would probably buy a new house, a sailing boat, and a decent computer with it. :)EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)

When one of my regulars mentioned something similar, I spent a few hours at work considering how things would go. Discussions with same regular has led to some interesting permutations, as well...

What I've got so far:

1. Pay off Student Loan and Credit Cards.

2. Take a nice hunk and put it into safe stocks or something earning. My regular suggested investing in banks, which makes sense...

3. Give stuff to family. They deserve it, not even counting getting me through my 7 years of school (SOOO patient!! ^-^)

Now, I have fun...

4. Get new apartment (that's not in the basement of someone's house).

Talking with regular has modified this.

4a. Buy apartment building and hire whoever's needed to keep place running.

4b. Pick a nice apartment for me.

5. Get a cat. I miss having a pet. ^-^

6. GET LAPTOP FIXED!!!!!! :)

7. Get a nice, top of the line, graphics modifying computer w/ software.

8. Top of the line voice recognition software.

9. Decent MP3 player with voice recording feature. (These steps to get my stories done faster. ^-^)

10. Take month off of work. Focus on stories, website, and my class.

11. We're talking 40 mil +? Nevermind, take TWO months off, offer to spot a bonus to get someone COMPETENT working nights for me while I'm gone.

It's scary that after that, I think I'd be happy..... And please note I'd be taking time OFF my HORRIBLE, MIND SUCKING wageslave job, instead of QUITTING.... Part of me actually LIKES working there, when it's not full of drunk college students... :)

The first thing that I would do, if I won even a million dollars in the lottery, is split it with my mom and my sisters. That's what's important to me. And besides, they'd bother me for the rest of my life if I didn't :) and that's not the sort of thing that you want a family to break up over. I would travel around the world. I would try to pack in as many life experiences as I could before I'd find a place to settle down and start adopting all sorts of children or something.

Well I would buy a really nice computer...and I mean really nice. I would most likely donate a good 21 million to charities. Then I would put it the rest in savings and if I do decided to go to a different university other then the one I'm at, I have money to pay for it. When I get out of college and get a job, I would use some of the money to buy a nice house (nothing over a 1 million :) ) . Then keep the rest of the money for retirement. If there is any money left over after I die from this, it will all go to charities (Sorry future family, your not getting a free meal ticket off of me).