xisto Community
rvalkass

Tesco Branching Into Software Value software soon to available

Tesco (the major supermarket here in the UK) has already started selling clothes, electronics, and all sorts of other stuff besides food, for much cheaper prices compared to independent retailers. Now Tesco has plans to launch it's own mini software range including an office suite, backup software, personal finance software, CD/DVD creators, a photo editor and some anti virus software, from as little as Ł10 (about US$20). The software has all been developed by Ability and is just being rebranded. Tesco plans to have it in all stores by the end of the month, and on their PCs by Christmas.

Personally, I think it will take off, simply because people will see it. If applications such as OpenOffice had free CDs in Tesco supermakrets then that would have reached a lot more people here in the UK. The problem is people not being aware that free software even exists, so the cheapest cost option will be chosen. Do you think it will be sucessful?

I don't see why not. If the software is up to par with the current industry leaders, then why not go for a cheaper alternative? In all honesty, big-name companies shouldn't have a monopoly over the products that they sell. If competitors are just as good then they'll have no choice but to lower their over-inflated prices to stay in the market.

If Tesco are going to be selling this software, then I also can't see a reason why it wouldn't be successful.Tesco are one of the biggest supermarkets here in the UK, as said in the above post, and is possibly a big supermarket in other countries as well.Tesco have been around so long now, that they have a good reputation and I don't think there's many people living around the area that have never heard of a Tesco.The name of the Company in itself, is enough to be able to sell this software and be successful.

This will probably be successful for Tesco, but I doubt I will buy software from them. For one, I don't trust supermarkets and, from what it looks like they are offering, I can get most of that free and legally.

Personally I'm not really in any rush to go out and buy software from Tesco when there are free alternatives, but I am sure that alot of people will buy this Tesco branded software simply because it is the cheapest option, weather or not it is the best option remains to be seen. However Tesco do have a reputation for good quality products at a reasonable price so as long as the software doesn't totally suck I can't see a reason for people who are unaware that you can get free (probably better) alternates.

I wont be in a rush to purchase software from tesco either, but I can see it becoming a good cheap alternative for many markets. Especially those from the low to mid income range brackets that do not want to spend a lot of money on top of the range software.

No offence but I can hardly see Tesco software being rushed off the shelves. If they can sell some of that for just over a tenner then it can't be of that good a quality can it? Tesco's clothing is hardly the best quality in the world so I don't see why their software should.I may be wrong, their other electrical products may be really good quality; I've never brought any electrical products from there.Also, Microsoft has the reputation and the monopoly.....

Wow thats crazy. When i was in the United Kingdom we stayed away from Tesco lol. A bit "dirty" you could say. In New Zealand we have Countdown (I think its in Australia as well), it started as a super market but now it sells computers, VCRs and TV sets. They dont make the food and electronics like Tesco does but they just re sell it.I dont see how a supermarket could turn into an "everything store" I would rather go to another shop to buy all my computer equipment.

Yes it will probably be successful but it might produce some problems for those companies selling such software as they might be sued from the microsoft for monopoly and such things they will always find something. Actually if it starts on long term massive sales it will probably expend into other parts of world soon and it will make loads of money for retailers. Similar thign is happening in the Games industry as people are getting free game's cds or dvds but instead of paying them once they are paying each month to play online. Which in fact gives steady income to the company over long term period without doing nothing except manAGIng few servers.

Now it's released, it looks quite good and it could become popular but then again, owning Tesco software isn't really something that you'd boast about. The GUI for their office suite looks a lot like Microsoft Office 2003. One thing I find odd - for an England-based company, the language they chose to display their software in was American English??

Good nonetheless. Nice to see them dip into yet another multi-billion pound market.

http://www.tescosoftware.com/

Notice from electriic ink:
Moving from European Nations

I dunno. Tesco has some good quality stuff (it's like any supermarket - sometimes is good, sometimes is bad...the key is not to get suckered into buying everything there for convenience in my mind).Software? I think any proficient internet user that already uses freeware (not strictly the same thing as open source, though it happens to correlate) won't bother, but we're not the target market. Tesco have a decent reputation for listening to feedback, which is needed for software to really take off, so who knows?Still, I think it'll be as much of a flop as straight-to-budget games are.

I ebay all my hardware so there's no problems. Yes tesco are expading but thats alright for the weekly shop but i dont see people picking up a stick of RAM with there potatoes. The internet works out cheaper and i would recommend buying from there rather than from a super market

At the moment, I can't see myself buying any software from tesco. Although, having said this, if I saw a good program for a cheap price, and I could see myself using it, then I would buy it.I don't really agree with the way in which tesco sell loads of things which prevent the independent reatailers from earing a profit and how they use disgusting tactics in order to gain a little more money.