xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bkag

Need Some Suggestions On Making A Logo (have Done A Draft) For stickers etc.

Ok so i need to make a logo for people (they want them) so i have done a draft but im not really "feelin it". So what do i need to do, i cant think of much, i was thinking mabe having a subtle gradient as the background and still have the light effect. Anyway here it is

Posted Image

If anybody wants i can send you the edit file (a .xcf file) so you can have a crack at it if you want :)

Edited by Bkag (see edit history)

I think the logo looks fine the way it is as well but at the bottom it looks a little distorted as if you started something and tried to erase it but didn't erase it completly. It could just be the image in firefox. If you don't see what I mean I can point it out to you. Other than that it looks pretty spiffy. Like Buffalo said though I would experiment with text. It really just takes a lot of experimenting like with different colors and what not like a lighter blue or a green and just decide which looks best or you can have them choose.

Thanks for the replies, i see the distortion at the bottom and have fixed that problem now. Thanks Buffalo for that link, i have been using "1001 free fonts" which is not organised well at all and the link you gave me is much better!What type of font do you think will go with the logo? Something out of the ordinary but still not playaround *if you get what i mean*

What program did you use to make it, so i can know what tools you're capable of using?I suggest, make the blue color into a lighter blue (the kind that has a little green and white in it). Also, vertically and horizontally center the text. I think the text "Forum.co.uk" could be shrunked a bit, so it doesn't touch the bottom and the top of the black pill. Or, after vertically and horizontally centering the text, just make the pill box a bit bigger so the text doesn't touch the bottom and top of the black pill. The text seems OK to me. Just maybe fix the white stroke around the text "RC".

I am using GIMP, i will try with a lighter blue today, i can't seem to find a text that works, i think what i want is a very big bold text like this

Posted Image

I will also experment with the light postion

Edited by Bkag (see edit history)

Take offense if youd like but personally I think that logo looks like crap. If i was the group getting ready to use it I would be emabrrasedthe racing stripes you tried to make or lines on the right arent even smooth they are all jaggered.. the FORUM.CO.UK text is way to big for the area you posted that in.. there is nothing nice about the RC text either.. I say trash that and start all over.. it usually helps whn you draw something on paper and then if you have the skils to do it you skan it and redraw it thru illustrator..

I take no offence whatsoever, this is just a preliminary, it is far from being ready to use, before i actually started using it i would be smoothing out the edges etc.

I have done another, i havnt changed the text yet (except for making the "forum.co.uk" smaller) but have changed the light angle, lightened up the blue and used a smooth, pretty much unnoticable gradient.

Posted Image

Although, the four lines on the right are jagged, it is impossible to make them unjagged without a high resolution. Like Garbage said, it would require a vector-based program to do so. If you need a free vector-based program, i'd recommend Inkscape. Their goal is like the GIMP to Photoshop: To create a free alternative to Illustrator, etc.

Oh, forgot to mention: The edited one is looking better.

Thanks, how do vector drawings differ from normal drawings, i think that you define the shape, so that however scaled up or down it is it still isnt distorted ?

Yeah, vector images do not lose quality when scaled or whatever, unlike rastor images. When you zoom into a vector image, you do not see pixels, it's just one smooth line all-round. But if you save a vector image as a rastor image (JPEG, JPG, GIF, BMP, etc) it'll lose quality.

Ok thanks, i have downloaded and installed inkscape and am going to start playing around, are there any tutorial sites?

Here's a few: http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/inkscape/

For the meantime, these are the only ones i am aware of.

On Inkscape, i cant figure out how to:Once i have done two shapes, i want to do some lines on the shape which is on the top layer, however i want the lines to finish right at the boundry of the second shape which is the second layer, how can i do this ?Ps A very good program, thanks :)