xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Anniversery Of Ibm Pc check this out.

ANNIVERSARY
This past August saw the 25th anniversary of the personal computer with the introduction of the IBM 5150. Costing $1,565, the 5150 had just 16K of memory, about enough for three or so e-mails nowadays. This machine which was developed by a team of 12 IBM engineers, altered the way business was done forever and sparked a revolution in home computing.

Check out the RAM on that baby. They used 5.25 inch floppies and no Hard Drive. Forget about the Internet.
Ahhh, the good old days...

lol I can just imagine what it'd be like with no internet, no photoshop, no aim... email and what not. In fact I did when I was around 4 play my first computer game, of course it didn't have the best graphics back then but look at what $1600 can buy you now. It's amazing how much computer have come during that 25 years. Congratulations to IBM.

IBM always suckd, alienware 4 life, I dont use IBM servers for my hosting services there are not what I need.. I can get better computers for my needs for a better price.Intel xeon 4 life xD fk IBM processors

haha yes i's always a laugh looking back on technology, hey hey we have to start somewhere x] IBM may not be great, but they were the core to the development of pcs along with a few other companies. we have to thank them for their hardwork. i actually love looking back at old technology in those antique cabinets with massive disk harddrives and floppies xD its pretty cool to see where we've been and come to, the difference in size:space ratio noadays is quite amazing whenyou really think about it. anyway, cngrats again to IBM, we couldnt have gotte this far without you.

16K of RAM?!? It's a revolution, now I can open all of... half a PHP script at once! Ah the good old days of simple computing where everything was black and white, literally, and things either worked or didn't. None of this mucking around with illegal operations and error codes. Repairing them with a toothbrush also worked quite well, the tools were a lot simpler back then!

hahahaha wow i imagine this wasn't a tretris was it? hahahaha ... i guess my gameboy has more ram :-o than that thing hehehe nop forget it guys i am just kidding but well now they have expanded from a little (or big) machine into many crazy devices and programs such as eclipse?! well some servers and applications and...money plenty of it hehehe well happy birthday IBM

Ouch, it's scary just looking back a couple of decades at what computers were like, the specification of the computers, we regularly used in the past.Just the fact that there was only 16k of memory, proves that we now take what we've got for granted. The people who used computers in those days and don't use computers now would have done anything for the current computers to have existed back then.I'm totally sure things won't just change here specification wise. There's bound to be a few more changes in the near future that we couldn't even have dreamt of, that's one of the main reasons I like technology. There's always changes which improve and/or change the way we live.It's nice to see that the computer hasn't died off after 25 years, it's just got better and i doubt it ever will in the foreseeable future.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

It's always good to look back and see how 'complication' derives from 'simplicity'.I can still remember my very first computer... or the CPU unit, at least. It was this massive rectangular block and it basically required a table all to itself. The metal casing made it pretty much impossible to carry around. On the side, was this giant red switch that one would have to flick to the turn the baby on/off.Now look at the laptops that are on the market. The darned things are getting smaller and smaller and incresingly powerful. Comapre the 16K of memory that was once more than sufficient with the 1 gig memories that are now pretty much standard.It's good to see knowledge / inventions evolving and continually being built upon. To IBM, I raise my glass!

Well I can't wait till the day when we look back on what we have now with the same level of humour, when the days of 1-2GB RAM were the norm instead of the 10-20+ GB of that day, it will come and I hope I will be there.In case you didn't realise by my avoiding remembering this, it's because I don't, I wish I did, but I just don't I think it's got something to do with not being born :). Still I am able to comprehend the impact that this made upon the world, an I must salute IBM for changing the world in such a massive way, that even they couldn't see, still it's nice to know that my MP3 player has more RAM than this did and a lot bigger hard drive (I know this didn't have one by the way) I know I wouldn't fancy carrying around a bunch of 5.25" floppies around with me so I could listen to music. Anyway nice one IBM... The Geeks Salute you!