</tr>
</table>

<table>
      <tr>
           <td>
           </td>
      </tr>
</table>

But the set up your trying to do is similar to this tutorial http://www.zymic.com/tutorials/photoshop/total-layout-tutorial/, Although you don't need photoshop to do this the concept is just the same.

Best way I learn is look at other websites and look at the code, I don't do direct copies of it but I take patches here and there.

Now to help boost your css skills I recommend this site http://www.alvit.de/handbook/ for it is loaded with hundreds of css sites of different aspects. Also if you want to get down and dirty and slowly learn how to to build wewbsites http://www.oswd.org/ go here and check out all the templates they have. Who knows you could patch different templates and get a killer design.

I don't put to much effort in books (to much reading and remembering) but most people seem to learn quicker with it, how I don't know but they do.

Also the next question you want to answer is do you want your site to be fluid (meaning all resolutions and browsers accept it) or fixed (absolute positions). Although most people want to go with the fluid design, it takes time and a lot of coffee, because fluid design is the most difficult to work with. Due to the fact that you have to code it to at least 3 browsers (IE,FF, Opera) and about 6 resolutions (800x600, 1024X768, 1280x1024m 1600x1200) with some of those resolutions are gear towards wide screen computers. With Fix design, it takes sometimes but with this though you have to have at least 3 different css scripts running 1 for each browser. Due to the fact that each browser slightly changes the look of the website.

All it takes is time and patience to code a website properly but to do it well you have to remember a lot of coding, something I am not gifted at. But of course if you bookmark a few million sites that help you learn that go ahead and do it. OR if you want to take a template and gut it out and recode from there, not a problem with that either.

This is just some in sight fro ma person who been doing it on and off going on 10 years now. Hopefully some of the info I have provided helps you out a bit.

Its better to declare the width at the <table> tags as if you declare it at the since if you declare it at the <tr> or <td> tags it will only expand to the table width only... And after you have finish with your html code be sure to validate it at any html validator to ensure that you have gotten them right... One validator is W3Schools...

@ SM, i was actually talking about PX :(but thanks for clarifying that for me, i have spent the weekend going over tables and i think I've got them down good, i do want to get them down better than what i do now, but all it will take is paitence and im working on making that bigger:DSO for now ive made flash cards of all the Table attributes i have learned so far and im studying them :lol: imagine that! umm the rest of this week i'll just study the cards in class, and then start reviewing over other HTML things... like next i am going to go through the form.. *easy, but i just want to make sure*if i have nay more questions i'll post them here :( next comes PHP and mySql and i have a friend who is going to help me with that.

Sorry to double post, but i would like someone to see this post.I have really gone over tables in the past week so i am bored now and doing it.SO, i am going over the cellspacing and cellpading and i just have a quickl question. Which parts of the tables can you put these in? Are they only wanted in the <table> section, or can they be put in the <td> section?

Which parts of the tables can you put these in? Are they only wanted in the <table> section, or can they be put in the <td> section?

I'm pretty sure you can only put CELLSPACING and CELLPADDING in <TABLE> unless you're being recursive and putting tables in tables... so yeah, not in <td> or whatever. Oh btw, I learned from http://www.htmlgoodies.com/, specifically just playing around with the 'Master List' Link on the front page. Fun stuff, answers questions in a nice easy manner.
Oh, - heh, hate to have like 3 different extra statements, but try using the w3.org docs for seeing what attributes you can have and what not, like this link for the tables for example.

@ osknockI was using the html tester thing @ w3school.org, and it wasn't working for me so i just wanted to make sure that i wasn't doing anything wrong :blink:Thanks for your help :wacko:

man I still remeber when i first learned html i was about 8 and i taught my self (with the help of an FAQ and other several HTML learning sites) and i still remeber it....

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - (it shows you the basics from your browser to coding; even though it sounds like th guy who made the site intendead it for popole who have no prior knowlegde)

lol, from the looks of it, that site is more of a place to learn how to get around websites (like looking at the source) and i am going through it right now and reading it, and I'm not really learning much, but it is touching me up on the basics of HTML.. pretty good :) thanks.. tis' a good site for a really basic beginner to making website. and i shall use it to touch up on my HTML

I never made any conscious decision to learn (X)HTML, I started out making sites in Dreamweaver, but when I learnt CSS, I found that writing the code in a text editor was faster than using Dreamweaver, so I started using XHTML and when I couldn't remember what a tag was, I looked it up in Dreamweaver or a w3schools.I tend to find that studying/learning something by using a tutorial sucks compared to having something you want to do (i.e write a CMS, or design a website template). You don't get bored as fast, and you end up with something you will actually use.

i learned basic html in school..we had computer as subject in our course since class 1.when we reached in class 8 html was included in it.though it was just basic during that time but later we learned through extra classes since most of us were interested

i learned basic html in school..we had computer as subject in our course since class 1.when we reached in class 8 html was included in it.
though it was just basic during that time but later we learned through extra classes since most of us were interested

lol, my school has HTML classes, but the standards they have for this class is set so low it is almost pitiful! So i just decided to learn on my own and i have, i'm pretty much done going over what i've learned before, and learning some new things, the next thing to come along is DIV's so i can get off of the table coding and go onto the DIV coding *layout things*

thanks for all your input

I learned it through an excellent book, and then basically taught myself. I really recommend w3schools.com, that is one of the best resources for web development ever!

I have tought my self to. I learned from trial and error. If something didn't work then i tried to find a different way to make it work. But you do that reguarlay in life. Its always the same way too. But html is basic and there really isnt anything special to it. Just to create a basic outline to put your extra code in. Like PHP, or JavaScript. Thats all i use html for. Nothing really else to use it for. The internet world has evolved dreamatically and once we didnt even have the interent think about how it would be if we didnt have it. We would be bored out of our minds. not to mention how many games envolve using the net. It would be lke a big diseaster.I mean wow you could think of many ways that you could use it and not so many ways what you are going to do if you dont have it.