xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AlternativeNick

Important Question Regarding Domains! (updated, Need Help Badly)

hey, ive recently purchased a domain. i however have one question, once i point it to the nameservers here, i need to go to the Xisto.com/process page and set my domain name to my recently purchased domain right?when i do that, does my Xisto subdomain dissapear? or will i be able to use both it and the domain?

Edited by AlternativeNick (see edit history)

yes, altscripts.net will be the only one that will work.the subdomain that you have now will seise to exist, there will be no warning for the members or your site, just a sudden change of domain...so if your members go to your site (altscripts.trap17.com) after you change the domain name, they will get the 404 error page

The alternative is to PARK the domain. This means you can have altscripts.trap17.com and altscripts.net to point to the one hosting account.This method is used when you don't want to lose the traffic already coming to your sub-domain or do not have enough time to alert all members who visit your site. The slight issue with parking a domain is if you have <A HREF= as your sub-domain rather than relative link, i.e. <A HREF="images/file etc... you will need to go back and change.This applies true with changing your domain name with 15 credits. But the point here made is this--when you purchase a domain name is usually to establish branding name, right? So instead of showing sub-domain you want to show your domain name at all times.

Sorry for double posting, but i didnt want to make another thread.Im having some serious problems right now, i changed my domain through the process page to altscripts.nethowever, i cant get to my site, at all!the nameservers are set up to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com, and my domain is altscripts.net so i cant figure out my problemim getting a server not found for altscripts.net and a no page hosted here for altscripts.trap17.com help please!! :)

your domain WHOIS seems to be in proper order. is it possible for you to access your hosting control panel? this is just a wild attempt to assist you, but if you can access your CP, perhaps parking your domain will help. i'm not familiar with how the "change domain name" script works, so i can't give a definite answer. perhaps wait for admin BH to drop by this thread for a more informed resolution to your situation.

dear AlternativeNick you can park your domain in your cpanel
if you park domain , when browse domain show your Xisto account
for example when you browse http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ show main page
when you park domain in cpanel at samp.trap17.com account you can see main page
and you have one domain and one subdomain
you can access your site by 2 (domain , Xisto subdomain)

Sigh...When changing nameservers of a domain, it will take from 24-72 hours BEFORE it is properly propagated through out the internet nodes.This means, it will take some time before ALL internet servers, providers to update the information that your domain name points to your hosting server. Wait few more hours/days before you trying it again.PS this issue and topic has been covered many times. Please read through PINNED topics made by OpaQue for more information. Always refer to Xisto Readme. If you feel that a topic should be included please feel free to PM me :)

Sorry for off-topic question but I need an answer :What if I change my domain name at the process page even I don't own it ? I mean if I change the domain to some one else's , will it work ?Why do I ask this question ? Because I am going to buy a domain buy scare of that thing :)