xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

A Lot Of The Questions That I See Here Can Be Easily Answered With A Little Research

This is sort of a sister topic to Gyad's "People Should Look Before Posting." People ask questions that are not that hard to answer, and the places to look are pretty obvious. I'll give some examples (I mean no offense to the people whose topics I use as examples):

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/41497-the-difference-between-mysql-and-postgresql/ - Check Wikipedia, read the first paragraph of each article, or go to the mySQL and postgreSQL websites and poke around

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/28842-how-to-mount-a-usb-drive-in-linux-operating-system-linux-administration/ - Google "linux mount usb" or something like it, there are tons of sites with that information (I know because I did it a while ago)

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/41104-how-google-sends-money/ - I'm sure you could find that in the Adsense "Help" section. In fact, there's an entire section on "Payment" which includes several subsections on "Payment Options"

In case you haven't noticed, I don't believe in the "no such thing as a stupid question" doctrine. But you have to realize, some things take much more time to actually type up the question and wait for a response than to go to Google and put in a few keywords from your question and find the answer.

i am sure they could do that, but there are those who are too lazy to read through a bunch of things, and i am sure there are those who look through it a little bit and dont find the answer to their question, and want to know if anyone here knows.and, the ideal is to get Xisto at the top of search engines for no matter what people search for, so if someone searches for The Difference Between Mysql And Postgresql ? they will be directed to Xisto, giving us more members, and helping our ranking on search engines go up...but i do agree that people should search the forums to see if there is allready a topic around the forums.

there is absoultely nothing you cant find from donloading an mp3 song to making a nuclear bomb by doing a little research as you have mentioned , all you need to know is how to put the right query in the search engine , so if everybody starts doing their own little research before posting in a forum there would be nothing to post about asking how something works or its details , but as you have mentioned some people post about things so simple that it is almost ridiculuos to wait for sometimes hours before anyone replies to it when they could have got the answer in a minute by using google , i always google for the simplest to the most complicated but sometimes forums are very useful if you have a very pretty long query and you are not sure how to search with the right keywords , here i mean again using google , for example i am having an error in my code so when i type the error in google and search it is always from forums which the best answers are coming from

i've learn't most of my computer troubleshooting by just copying the error messages into google, someone has usually had the problem before you and figured out how to fix it. you can google almost anything with the right combination of words