xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cool_Freaker

Company Of Heroes The next great RTS

Has anyone seen the new Company of Heroes game by Relic? (the makers of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War). It looks absolutely magnificent, and I have failed to see a bad review on the net yet about it. Apparantly it's simply superb, with the point capture system from Dawn of War perfected, and some great graphics. IGN and Gamespot have given it glowering reviews, and I'm pretty sure the box art has a plethora of E3 awards and other 95%+ ratings on it. If anything I'm going to run out and buy this as soon as it's available (apparantly in a week according to the guys at Electronics Botique). I've always been a huge fan of World War II games, but no RTS has really hit the spot, unless you count the alternative scenario given in Red Alert with the Soviets vs the Allies.Just hope my good old 6600GT graphics card can handle it :)

The game looks good, but I think the gameplay will be crap. I watched the trailer and I have to say it's all about graphical showoff, when everyone gets owned by each other the tanks roll in which are totally indestructable and shoot the crap out of all the foot soldiers... I mean, whats the fun in a game where vehicles dominate the entire game, and are overrealistic at the same time? If the game is really as the trailer showed I'm almost sure it is going to fail miserably.

Wow, finally got my hands on a copy, and would have to disagree with you there. Tanks rock, undoubtably, but the infantry in this game as just so versatile I believe it's much more balanced in that respect as compared to, say, Command and Conquer Generals.Tanks usually need some sort of infantry support, otherwise they tend to get wasted on their own. Flanking (Yey!) is a possibility, and yep - tanks die faster when hit from behind.Honestly, it's great fun to play, well worth a try, at least of the demo, in my opinion. Graphics are great, in my opinion, it adds to the gameplay, rather than hinderance.

company of heroes was made by the same group than warhammer 40.000, which is my favourite game, and they share quite some things together. tey re both preety bloody, althou company of heroes is brutal on a realistic way, while warhammer is fantasy-brutal, they both share a bug of shooting through the walls, etc... it is painfully obvious who made it.howewer, it is fantastic game, not realistic though, but it is one of few, if not the only, ACTION strategy game with a world war 2 theme. it is quite fascinating to see your solders looking for cower, swearing, when the enemy shows up. on the other hand, it is stupid to see your tanks rolling into battle with theyr backs forward, or when two tanks took too long finding the way, just bumping one other, mostly being on one spot...i must say it is quite hard too, and much depends on your clicking skills, like on warcraft 3, and the computer has that advantage he can "click"(or make order) many times at the same moment(more clicks simultanously), while you can only click once at the same moment, if you understand what im trying to say :lol::(. the computer AI is not silly at all, it finds weak spots in your defense, attacks them - watch your back.whatewer, its an impressive piece of code, the graphics is quite good, you can zoom in really close and you feel like playing call of duty :( . recommanded for all who love to play good strategy, warhammer fans and world war 2 (games) fans.

Excelent excelent. This is to RTSs as Oblivion is to RPGs.Graphically from what I have seen it is amazing. Sadly I have to turn the settings down for framerate thanks to my hardware being a bit dated but even then it still looks great. The AI has its moments and at tiems can seriously surprise you.I think this game caught the atmosphere of WW II like I have seen only Brothers in Arms do before it with the anrative, story, and gameplay blending near seamlessly together...

Company of Heroes is one of the best Real Time Strategy games I've ever played. When you play it feels like if you are there, fighting to bring your army to victory. It's intense and kicks *bottom*. Campaign isn't boring as a lot of other game-campaigns sometimes are(because you have to do the same thing on every map). Online is like really cool as it isn't the AI anymore. Victory there feels like a REAL vicotry!

I'd agree, Company of Heroes is an amazing game! You actually have to have more tactics then just: get lots of money, make loads of the most powerful unit: go beat up everyone else.The fairly low unit limit (especially at the start of skirmishes) gives a real challenge about having to decide what units to use: as the tank which takes up 1/4 of your unit limit is worthless if it can be defeated by a 3 unit anti-tank gun!Plus it is realistic: air drops as opposed to units just "appearing" and the physics engine is one of the best I've seen: it is actually possible for units to miss! When was the last time that ever happened in a game! The buildings sometimes collapse of theire own accord if damaged badly enough.I'll admit, there are some interesting points, like when tanks drive through each other, but this is more a bug than a game feature, but the ability to actually use tactics to gain an advantage is amazing!Inferior units can take out superior units if you are careful: so 1 infantry man can still take out a tank if you move quickly and use cover!Great game, need anything else be said?

I agree it is probably the best rts game ever. Units are great and really good balanced. upgrades for the units are very important they can change the outcome of battle. during the battle you must be active or you could easily lose even with larger/stronger army. companies/doctrines are very nicely organized and balanced. playing is very different based on company/doctrine chosen.graphic is really good even when on low settings, the sound is best ever(depending on the position on map volume of for example howitzer firing changes...) of course there are some problems like tanks blocking each other what can be very annoying and often changes the outcome of battle(instead of a victory you get disaster).mortars and similar bombarding units are very useful and can be deciding factor(for the attacked side they are very frustrating because often you aren't in position to do anything about it). the way you collect resources by holding points is very good and like in w4k it keeps the action going from almost 1st minute of a game but this is also very hard part for a beginner and it can get frustrating(you take a point and 30secs later, if you don't defend it, come enemy engineers and take it from you which is very distracting when you are not used to it).using replay feature you can see some really impressive and realistically looking scenes by zooming in and adjusting angle of the camera(you could make a good movie with this).simply put great game.

I haven't seen or heard anything about it. Just by the title alone, I would guess that it was a World War II game. Possibly 101st Airborne? I didn't read any of the reply posts. Tell me if I'm right about it. lol.

Yeah: it is set in World War 2 France and you (in the campaign) follow the route of 101st airbourne division through various battles on their way.However, it is not all based on airbourne stuff, since through the campaign you gradually get the options to upgrade infantry or tank routes aswell, as part of the commander point scheme, and so in the multiplayer, there is no real reference to being 101st airbourne unless you choose that route.Also though in multiplayer, you have the chance to also play as axis (basically germany) which is less specific in terms of "who you are"As a game, I strongly recommend it if you like any rts games, as it does have all the good points of them, accompanied by stunnong graphics and realistic gameplay/physics engine!