xisto Community
CarlU

Big 3: Vbulletin Vs. Invision Power Board Vs. Phpbb

A problem I see with SMF is it's lack of skins obviously due to it's smaller skinning community and community overall. Besides that I don't have any huge problems with SMF.Right now I plan on using phpBB but when my site gets bigger I'll most likely opt for Vbulletin.

Skins? SMF has alot of skins. Try surfing the simplemachines.org site. And no, it's community overall not small. There are many third-party sites that you can connect to your forum through the Admin Panel. What they don't have are smilies. XXD

i also have to say, SMF has to be the best free forum software out there, all i have to say is SSI.php, forget about complicated php scripts to show your latest posts on another part of your site, 1 simple php function will do it for you using SMF. Also, it automatically builds RSS and XML Feeds, seriously, how awesome can u get for free?

For me, I think VBulletin's interface is the best among the 3 forum softwares and it is also the favourite software when it comes to installing a forum. What you pay is what you get, simple machine forums and phpBB2; although free, do not really give you much satisfaction as compared to IPB or VBulletin. In terms of hacks and modifications, VBulletin has come out a few of their own, although still using IPB's system but nonetheless, it is still there. For me, things like arcade or a vbookie sort of thing are not necessary important in the forum's software features, as long as it can do the basic thing well which is posting messages, its stability and interface are good and up to scratch, it pretty well wins me over. VBulletin is a perfect example of that. For some reason or another, I do not like IPB especially their navigation in the User Options, it got me confused at first. I have been too used to VBulletin that it is very difficult to change now.

Well i never really looked into vBulliten as i just didnt really appreal to me also it was to expensive for me at one time. I currently use invision board as i find its better suited to my current needs. PHPBB 3.0 will be very good when it is finally released, i have the beta on my pc and i also use it on a few of my partner sites as i didnt want to buy another IPB Licence. I would say that currently PHPBB 3.0 and IPB 2.1.7 are even in many ways but this will change when IPB 2.2 is released as there will be many new features.

vBulletin is actually the leading forum software up to date... Just imagine it, when a user comes into your forum and see the professional layout and the organisation of the vBulletin skin, they will get the hang of it and sign up...And as darran has said, vBulletin has almost all the important mods and hacks that are usually needed in a forum board, which althought IPB has it, vBulletin does it better! vBulletin are always up to date to the lastest and most welcome technology and to my knowledge its the first forum software that comes out with the AJAX features which makes it so popular that IPB follow suit, which may be out at IPB 2.2 or something, I couldn't remember...

ive seen many forums of which i liked phpBB2 the best, IPB isnt bad either. I dunno much about vBulliten since i cant spare 85$ for it unless i download a illegal version, which isnt a very nice thing to do :)

From a use point of view I love that in phpbb when you post a message you have the choice to:

Go to your message or
Go to the forum you posted in.

In vb you must read your own message before getting out of the thread - how annoying.

I use phpbb and it works great.
Demo : free forums

The 3 main competitors in the forum software battle.
VBULLETIN: commercially sold, probably the most well known and popular forum system.
INVISION POWER BOARD: used to be free, now commercially sold, very popular forum system.
PHPBB: free and very popular forum system.

What is your pick and why?

personally, I used to be an Invision Power Board fan but have switched to phpbb.
I really like it's range of skins and most of all it's free!

Well I had a little taste of invision power board a while back. In my opinion free is always the best especially when it is supported by a sizable community and open source so people could esily make mods or new skins. I Always install phpbb and I do not plan to ever use a different forum system! They are just as smexy as linux! :D

I think phpbb has a great administration panel! It is very powerful for handling all the randoms and spammers! Seriously install it anywhere and check it out its a great system in my opinion!

You can't compare three very different things.Vbulletin is premium script. In my opinion vbulletin is the most functional forum board script. It has a lot of useful plugins with it, or you can download it from net. But you must pay for license :DInvision Power Board is a premium script too. But vbulletin is more powerfull than Invision Power Board. Invision Power Board's PHP System loads too slow :D and thats place it behind Vbulletin.And phpBB. This is free forum board script. For this money (0$ :D ) you get the best from it. It's very functional and it's the best free php forum script.So...1. Vbulletin2. phpBB3. Invision Power Board (IPB)And that's all! :D PEACE! :D

So could you spare more details on what makes Vbulletin so great? You only have to pay for the license one time correct?

There are 2 types of vBulletin licences:

Owned License$180.00

The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. Along with this license, you will receive one year of free updates. Beyond the first year, a nominal fee of $60 (or $40 if purchased within 60 days of the license expiring) is payable to obtain updates for an additional year.

This license includes free support via email and on the community forum. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the Members' Area.

Leased License$100.00

The leased vBulletin Forum license allows you to use the software on your site for 1 year and gives you access to products updates for that year. After 1 year, you must renew your license or remove the software from your site.

This license includes free support via email and on the community forum. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the members' area

Info

For a comparison, IPB has also 2 types of licences but the 'standard' one it's cheaper though you have only 6 months of updates instead of 1 year:

Standard licence$149.99

6 months support/upgrades

30 days phone support

2 business day ticket response

5 day major version upgrade turnaround

Minor version upgrade via easy upgrade pack

One active installation + one test installation

After 6 months: $25 renewal option to access upgrades and ticket support

Business licence$299.99

6 months support/upgrades

6 months phone support

1 business day ticket response