xisto Community
darran

Widescreen Computer Display Is it better?

Is WideScreen better?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think of the widescreen display laptops are beginning to adopt nowadays? Is that the right way to go? Or should we stick to our original display (800 * 600, 1024 * 768 ... etc) instead of (1280 * 800).For me I think these widescreen display should be the way to go, it allows you more space to do your stuff especially if you are doing some image editing, and that requires a huge amount of resolution size. There is an argument whereby you can increase your resolution to make it tinier so that you can have more space but then again, the problem with making the resolution tinier is that it might make it not visible to the human eye. I am fine with it, but what about people who are short sighted and have problems looking at such tiny objects on the screen? Widescreen display is the way for me to go, because there is so much flexibility in which I can use my programs, especially in programming, things are not so 'cramped' like in the 1024 * 768 resolution. The problems with this widescreen display is that there are not many wallpapers which are available for this kind of widescreen resolution. And on top of that, when you play a PC game which does not support this kind of resolution, there would be 2 black rectangulars indicating the extra space it has. But that is gradually solving, all of the new games on the market is starting to put widescreen resolutions as one of their available resolutions during game play. What do you think?

I have a laptop with a widescreen display, and it has some good and bad points. I use my laptop to watch TV and DVDs, which are in widescreen, and so work well on my laptop without letterbox bars or blurring. It also keeps the laptop slightly smaller than the 4:3 equivalent, as 16:9 is more keyboard shaped. Unfortunately, some applications don't play nice with widescreen, and as I want to get Linux on my laptop, some people seem to be having prolems getting widescreen resolutions to work right.

I do not have a widescreen monitor but I think I would like one. As with most new things, it takes the software a little time to catch up. Currently I use dual screen to give me more area to work in. What I really want is a 50"+ Widescreen TV that supports the higher computer resolutions. Now that would be a nice monitor!!

I think widescreen monitors on notebooks are pretty nice looking and they perform well but I think the widescreen monitors for desktop computers are just plain ugly. They're too long in the first place, and I don't know how I'd get used to everything looking like that. Widescreen monitors have almost always been used in notebooks so those are easy to get used to, but not on desktop computers.

I simply hate widescreen computer as it clearly display different dimension as normal computers... If I were to create a website and nicely place the tables and everything with it in a normal size screen, it looks perfect! However, when someone uses a widescreen computer and look at my website, it looks simple awful and could probably fail my website for it... I really wonder why they didnt standardize all the computer sizes and make a widescreen computer out... And sometimes widescreen computer distort videos playing in full screen mode which completely kills my mood for them! :D

i'm currently using a ViewSOnic 20" widescreen. It's really nice. My set resolution is 1600xsomething. If you are a movie person, widescreen is best for you because it has a better display ratio. the bad thing about having a big monitor like that takes up alot of your graphic card resources... My old 32mb graphic couldn't even handle the widescreen alone.

DogEater is right, if you're going to run a large monitor with a wide screen pixel setting, make sure you have the graphics capability. I am running a 24" Wide screen LCD at 1920x1200 with 256MB of graphics memory and seem to be running fine for everyday computing. They're great screens for multitasking, but make sure your hardware can handle it.

Widescreen vs Dual Screen?

Widescreen Computer Display

Sorry, I just stumbled upon this site. Is this an appropriate place to post a question relating to widescreen computer displays?

I'm in the process of purchasing a new computer. My boss offered to purchase a second/dual screen for my new computer along with the needed cards/etc since I often work in multiple windows.

However, I like the idea of just having a widescreen rather than dual screen. Are there widescreen that accommodate two windows at an acceptable font size? What would be the pro's and con's to each?

Also, I am leaning toward another laptop rather than a desktop. Does that make a difference? Any advice or tips would be appreciate.

-question by Lisa

Wide Screen monitors with todays softwareWidescreen Computer Display

Only recently I've noticed so many people getting into wide screen monitors, only to realize later that their images are stretched and distorted. There are basically two types of "graphic" software that deals with editing images. Less expensive and more expensive. The less expensive software doesn't resize the image that you're working with, only the window that surrounds it. While the more expensive software, will resize whatever image you're dealing with relative to the size of the operating system that surrounds that image. Unfortuntely, most software makers are still wrapped around that 4:3 apec ratio that we started with back in '50's. Oh yes, you can make an image bigger or smaller, but it's still wrapped around that 4:3 sizing. About the only thing that is viewed properly, are widescreen movies. But who the heck wants to sit at their computer and watch a movie if they have a wide screen tv waiting for them in their living room with surround sound and subwoofers that'll loosen your teeth fillings. It still sets the hair on my neck up when I see or hear someone refer to their TV as HD - high definition. Even years ago, various makers of 32" screens, promoted their sets as HDTV. Technically speaking, HD is 1920 by 1080. Most 32" TVs have a maximum of 728 vertically - not 1080. Now you can still view a HD scene on one of those 32" babies - BUT IT AIN'T TRUE HD. Wide screen is NOT HD. If your wide screen TV has a resolution of at least 1920 by 1080 - OK-you'll get the full monty. But people - when you put an OS meant for 4:3 on a wide screeen - OF COURSE IT'S GONNA S-T-R-E-T-C-H     IT OUT...Daaaaaa

-reply by David

Area of widescreenWidescreen Computer Display

if any fool thinks that widescreen have more area then here ia a fact

15 inch XGA is 9 * 12 which is 108 square inch

15 inch WXGA is 8 * 12.7 which is 101.6 square inch

so by  making wider there laptop companies are saving on cost but charging customer the same.

THINK ABOUT IT

-reply by Vivek