xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RuneMan

What Is Convection?

Convection is a process of heat transfer by the actual movement of medium particles. Liquids and Gases are mainly heated by convectionIn other words, in convection when the molecules get heated they rise up and the cold ones come down and this to gets heated up and they rise. And the cycle continues

Radiaton or conduction or convection?

What Is Convection?

How does a cup filled of hot water lose the most heat?

-reply by nikki

The heat is spread into the colder air around it. The fast molecules in the cup of water make the slower molecules in the air move fast. 

Answer this though. You have 2 cups of say water. The water is at 100 Degrees FThe room the cup is in is also at 100F Humity is at 0%you place a silver spoon into the cup of water. will the cup with the spoon cool faster than the other one without the spoon?Answer is? and why.

Answer this though. You have 2 cups of say water. The water is at 100 Degrees FThe room the cup is in is also at 100F
Humity is at 0%
you place a silver spoon into the cup of water. will the cup with the spoon cool faster than the other one without the spoon?

Answer is? and why.

I would say that the one with the spoon would cool faster, as it would require less heat to begin with.

Water has a very high "specific heat," which means that it takes a lot of heat in order to actually feel the effects from it. For example, you can heat up water in a pan and the pan will be very hot but the water will not be as hot yet.

So in essence, the spoon(requiring less heat to get hot) would cool off the fastest, being that there wasn't as much heat added to it in the beginning. Instead of having to be heated for 20 minutes, for example, maybe it only took 17 minutes.

That's my guess at least, based on my limited knowledge about the subject.

I would say that the one with the spoon would cool faster, as it would require less heat to begin with.
Water has a very high "specific heat," which means that it takes a lot of heat in order to actually feel the effects from it. For example, you can heat up water in a pan and the pan will be very hot but the water will not be as hot yet.

So in essence, the spoon(requiring less heat to get hot) would cool off the fastest, being that there wasn't as much heat added to it in the beginning. Instead of having to be heated for 20 minutes, for example, maybe it only took 17 minutes.

That's my guess at least, based on my limited knowledge about the subject.

Give RPG a cookie. in essence the spoon is acting as a heatsink and will cool the cup faster.

Give RPG a cookie. in essence the spoon is acting as a heatsink and will cool the cup faster.

The sad part is that I got a "C" in the class that we learned that in(biology)...

Either way, it's nice to know that I retained at least a little bit of useful(?) knowlege from there.

hey its nice to know that someone cares about small things also because all here are thinking somewhat higher than me and i only dream if i will sometime think like them.