xisto Community
premracer

Firewall & Antivirus

I am sure something like this has been covered elsewhere, but I rank Norton antivirus / firewall very highly. I'd recommend to anyone who actually wants something that definitely works, and stops viruses in the act. People say it slows your computer down a bit, and it does, but if you have the CPU or RAM to spare, even a bit, its worth it. The additional usage shows its actually working to scan / check almost everything. those that don't slow anything down, obviously don't work as hard to protect you. Norton all the way :DJames

i completely disagree with Jimmy. If you want quality antivirus software go with Avast Home edition antivirus. It is free (unlike nortons) and it does not take up the RAM or CPU that nortons does but still does as good of a job if not better. As for a firewall, you can just use windows firewall if you are behind a router. It does enough of a job that you shouldnt worry. If you want something better go with zone alarm but it is a pain to setup correctly in order to get everything to work well.

completely disagree with Jimmy. If you want quality antivirus software go with Avast Home edition antivirus. It is free (unlike nortons) and it does not take up the RAM or CPU that nortons does but still does as good of a job if not better.

Oh yes. The CPU ticks required and amount of RAM arent always the best measure of effectiveness. When everything is taken into account i also think avast is better because its so easy to use for beginners yet very very powerfull for more advanced and begginer users. Its also very light (i have a thorough scan running as i type this and chat on instand messager and no system lag) And its finding all the viruses it can. I also find it funny that AVG only sees the virus a split second after avast gives me the alert its been found :D stupid...Ive never liked AVG for some reason, maybe because of the GUI is very poor in my opinion and it looks outdated!

Also avast has a resident scanner constantly running which doesnt stop viruses it instead finds them almost as soon as they enter the system. As for firewalls id say zonealarms is very good :D

Norton tends to be very expensive and yes it does tend to slow your computer down a tad. I had norton but i still had many problems. I had went ahead and found AVG and i find to my knowledge that it works quite well. Fast easy to use easy to learn and dont have to have much of a understanding to be able to understand it. As for the firewall im not behind a router and had many attacks at my computer for what reason i still dont know but ever since i have gotten zone alarm pro it alerts me every time a intruder trys to enter my computer. Come to find out today i put the person behind the attacks on my computer behind bars this evening. I had gotten the alert i pinged the ip to tell me where the attack was coming from. And traced it just to make sure turned this evidence into the authorities they traced it and got the person. Moral to the story it helped me alot

I think the best AntiVirus is Norton And Panda Titanium. For panda it had trueprevent technology that can detect unkown virus. To proove that I create my own virus that log the user keyboard and send it to some email!.Panda works very great!, other antiVirus didnt detect my virus. So If you want 5 star antivirus use panda!.

Norton is the the most popular and workable anit-virus nowadays... It really does work but its not free as the best thing in the world isnt free... It sometimes would take up quite long to startup since the Norton is checking on loads of things if its configured to do so... But I would say, get yourself a paid anti-virus instead of a free one... Sometimes paid stuff do much of a work, and free ones isnt really reliable...