xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

Need Free Ftp Client

I personally go with the few others. I use Filezilla, its open source, easy to use and very imformational when it comes to Up/Down speed and how much is left to download or upload. It has many statistical features, and can connect to many different typesof servers, from regular ftp, to sftp and so on.

Yeah, I love SmartFTP. It has alot of good features and is a fully functional for personal use. You have to buy it for corporate use, but you don't have to worry about that. :)

There are many open source FTP clients that all have their uses, and they are much smaller. And, of course, if you use Firefox, there is always FireFTP, which is an extension to Firefox, very handy.

Links!

I personally use FireFTP, the tab that loads in Firefox. I use it to access one of my other web hosting providers.Now I use AceFTP 3 along with AceHTML 6. You can download the freeware from Download.com or thier own website. AceFTP says that it is Shareware, however once you register your email address it becomes Freeware.Hope this helps.

Well I use 2 different ones.If I need to upload small files like 1 or 2 files I will use FireFTP the firefox extension to upload to FTP serverIf I want to upload many pages I will zip it up including directory structure and use web2ftp.com which uploads zip files and unzips them to your ftp serverI dont use actuall software FTP Clients

FileZilla works for me too, I added my blogtheme though it and believe me it saved a hell lot of time.But yeah remember, the information about your FTP accounts that they provide was quite misguiding for me so what to do, straight away create a new FTP account and then config the details by yourself and then try connecting through FileZilla. If you will still experience problems you can contact me or any other person here on the forums.

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

For small things, i just use IE. Otherwise i use ws_ftp pro which isnt free so i wont recommend it to you. However, if you cant just use your current browser for the ftp transfers, go to downloads.com and search ftp and you will be sure to find numerous free ftp clients that will more than enough suit your needs.

If you want something free and good, Filezilla is the way to go. Guess what?! It is open sourced, something which I am a huge fan of. Off topic: I am using more open sourced applications lilke Openoffice, float mobile manager, filezilla ... etc, they are just almost as good as the original paid applications. I have been using for quite a while, a little close and cramped in the interface but it is just a minor glitch on my part, I am sure most of you find it fine. Actually the configuration is pretty simple, they have an option for a quick connect for you, so whenever you want to access your FTP, just type in your details near the top (server, name and password) and you are good to go. As simple as that!

Flezilla's OK, but I personally had troubles with it. It was pretty hard to understand, and disconnected for no reason often.I use SmartFTP. It's free for normal use. (I think) Though it does have a nag screen, the interface is much better than Filezilla. Not that I'm against open-source, I'm a huge fan of Linux and Openoffice. I just like SmartFTP much more, it very rarely disconnects, and just works. Besides it automatically opens the last FTP address you had open when it starts up.

Try SmartFTP. Its a well done client and free.

But I use CuteFTP, apparently to be the best FTP client out there... (well people say that) but its not free :D
You can get a 30 days free trial anyway.

I use mostly ftp commander (free version)
http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

It works for most of the job I have to do with ftp.
Another option for just upload a few files is using the ftp from the command prompt (windows or linux).
Once you know the command set it works also.

The basic commands are :

bin   (switch over to binary mode)asc  (switch over to ascii mode)put [filename]   (upload a file)get [filename]   (download a file.)

Most of the commands can be read when you give the command help.
Basic tool but available on any computer with an operating system (if it's not disabled)
Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

i would recomend SmartFTP i use it and i find it very usefull as there are loads of things you can do with it that normal FTP programs would not let you do