xisto Community
Plenoptic

Gutters On Buses...

Well of course I have been riding buses all my life to and from school until next year <_< Anyway, everytime it rains you have to put the windows up and then it gets really hot on the bus unless you have one of those nice air conditioned buses. It's really hot I know down here in the Florida area. Once it stops raining you can't put them down either because it drips off the roof. It has rained a lot here in the past few weeks and today as well and it gets annoying. I think someone should have extended gutters that collects the rain and sends it off the back of the bus or something. It wouldn't be expensive unless you make them retractable or something. They just have to stick out as far as the mirrors. It would most likely help shield the rain as well from coming in the windows.

It's a nice idea, but what would happen on a hill? The water in the gutter could run down in front of the driver, and of course the wipers wont be able to clear it. Also, they'd chuck a lot more water in the face of the driver behind the bus, and that could be dangerous too. Perhaps collecting the water and feeding it into the cooling system or the windscreen washer bottle or something <_<

Well what they could do is have the gutter run down the back or sides of the bus like on houses where it takes the water to the ground. It won't mess up the driver that bad because the extention won't be over the bus but too the side and it isn't like water is gonna build up in there it'd have to have a slant so it slants out the back. In fact you could have it drain out the front as well or something so it doesn't all build up or anything.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

The easiest solution is just air condition! I don't know about the gutters and all, but I must say I like the idea. Now this wouldn't apply to much to you in Florida, but what if it snowed? Snow would just come flying off the sides! Also, the gutters could make the road slicker, but I think they should try it just to see what would happen. :D

We don't really have this problem because here in NYC, all (or most) of our buses are air-conditioned. But on school buses i have seen the little gutters; they effectively keep the water from dripping inside, and I wouldn't think they block out the following driver's vision.

Right,I think that it would be a good idea to have guttering on buses, but I think that it would be more important for the company that owns my college bus to BUY A NEW ONE! Seriously, our bus is like fourty or something. You know the bars that you hold on to to stand up? They aren't connected to the ceilng! They like rock and move if you try and stand, the seats (the cusion not the metal) comes away from it's base when you lift it up! But worst of all, water, it doens't just come in the windows when it rains, it comes in the roof and everything, it snowed pretty heave a while back and it all came in the back windows and they had to like tape off the back three or four rows of seats because they were getting soaked!It's terrible, whenever we complain they give us another bus for like a week then guess what....the old one always comes back. About a month and a half ago I had to walk about a mile home as the bus tire came off the wheel, it wasn't majorly serious, no one was hurt, but the tyre certainly (well about a six inch chunk of it) came away from the bus and was left in the road then the bus had to pull over and we all walked.One door jams on the double doors so you have to squeeze in, and finally, the exhaust fell off once about a year ago too.Seriously I wish I was joking. I'll get a photo of it sometime to show you lot.Anyone here think they're in a worse situation...anyone go to my college? (PPCollege). If you do, it's the double decker that I'm talking about, the rest are all fine.Grey.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
So does your school plans to have buses with gutters or not? Stay on the topic of discussion.