xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heaven_master_ash

Speeding Up Your computer with few tweeks

Greatings to the cyber world.............

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

>>Beginners Guide In Speeding Up The Pc,Internet and Other stuff<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>By Heaven_master_ash<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I spent months trying various but simple MANUAL ways to speed up the pc,IE and various other stuff and writing them down,i now pass them to you,any comments or questions please look me up at heaven_master_ash@yahoo.com and mail it to me.

1-First the Easy ways:

i- click on the desktop>>>Properties>>>Desktop>>>Customize Desktop>>>Uncheck RUN DESKTOP CLEANUP>>Ok

ii-Desktop>>>Properties>>>Power>>>Turn off monitor>>>NEVER(not recommended if you spend like 12 hours on the pc or more)

iii-Desktop>>>properties>>>Appearance>>>Effects>>>Uncheck USE THE FOLLOWING TRANSITIONS and SHOW SHADIWS UNDER MENUS>>>ok

iiii-Desktop>>>properties>>>Settings>>>Advanced>>>change the srr(screen refresh rate) to 75Hz if found>apply

iv-Go to internet explorer>>> Properties>>>Content>>>Auto complete>>>Uncheck all but FORMS>>>Apply

v-Internet Explorer>>>Properties>>>Connections>>>LAN Settings>>>Automatically detect settings>>ok

vi-Click Start>>>Control Panel>>>Printers and other hardwares>>>Mouse>>>Pointer>>>change SCHEME to 3D WHITE SYSTEM SCHEME, and uncheck the ENABLE POINTER SHADOW>>>Ok

vii-Control Panel>>>Sounds and audio devices>>>place volume icon in taskbar , then back to Performance and Maintenance>>>system>>>Advanced>>>settings(under Performance)>>>Adjust for best Perforance>>then check : SHOW WINDO CONTENTS WHILE DRAGGING and SMOOTH EDGESON SCREEN FONTS and USE COMMON TASKS IN FOLDER and USE DROP SHADOWS FOR ICON LABELS and USE VIRTUAL STYLES ON WINDOWS AND BUTTONS>>>APPLY>>>Ok.

2-Now to the more complex but effective ways:

viii-My computer>>>right click on C hd (the hd you have ure OS on)>>>properties>>>uncheck ALLOW INDEXING SERVICE TO INDEX THIS DISK FOR FAST SEARCHING>>>ignore and ok all msgs.

(THIS IS A VERY EFFECTIVE WAY TO SPEED UP THE HD)

Now back to Control panel>>>add/remove programs>>Add/remove windowscomponents>>>uncheck(if checked) INDEXING SERVICES>>>Next

ix-IMPORTANT: Now There are many unimportant services that the user does not need tp run the system.These services operate everytime you Boot and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE have an exploit that can viruses get in threw and leads to a slow Os etc...etc...so it is a good idea to close these holes(exploits) and stop these useless services to both increase security and speed.

Let's start doing that :

Start>>>Run>>>services.msc>>>ok

The Services window will open so now we close the dangerous holes and useless services:

The first service:ALERTER

right click then Properties>>>a window will appear>> next to STARTUP press the arrow and change the status to DISABLE.

DO THE SAME THING FOR THE FOLLOWING SERVICES:

AUTOMATC UPDATE

CLIPBOOK

COMPUTER BROWSER

Disributed Link Tracking Client

Error reporting service

Fast User Switching

Fax

Human Interface Access Devices

Indexing Service

IPSEC Services

Messenger

Net Logon

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Network DDE

Network DDE DSDM

Portable Media Serial Number Service

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Procedure Call Locator

Remote Registry

Routing & Remote Access

Server

SSDP Discovery Service

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telnet

Terminal Services

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Upload Manager

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Windows Time

Wireless Zero ConfiguratioN

Workstation

3-Now WAYS TO INCREASE SEURITY AND SPEED UP THE INTERNET CONNECTION(kinda):

x-Double click on the time on the taskbar>>>Internet Time>>>Uncheck AUTOMATICALLY SYNCHRONIZE WITH AN INTERNET TIME SERVER.

xi-Right click Mycomputer>>>Properties>>>remote>>Uncheck ALLOW REMOTE ASSISTANCE INVITATION TO BE SENT FROM THIS COMPUTER.

xii-Now We speed up the internet more and more but from the REGISTERY:

start>>>run>>>regedit>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>>Software>>>Microsoft/Windows>>>Current Version>>>Explorer>>>RemoteComputer>>>NameSpace

Look up for the key under the NAme space and Delete it:

D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

xii-There are files that slow down the Pc very very much and they aren't important and the OS deletes them anyways every month or week or so.These files can be found in:

start>>>Run>>>Prefetch

Wipe all the files in it.

There is a way actually that prevents the existence of these files FROM THE FIRST PLACE but i DON't Reccomend this:

start>>>Run>>>regedit>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters

Now change the PARAMETER value to:

0- to totally deny these files

1-to allow program files only

2-to allow Operatinf Files only

3-allow All files (best recommended and you can delete the files manually eachtime u remember!Smile

<><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

xiii-WAY TO SPPED UP WINDOWS SHUTDOWN:

start>>>run>>>regedit>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control >>>click control>>>Waittokillservicetimeout>>>right click waittokillservicetimeout>>>modify>>>choose value less than 2000(i put 0).

also go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and do the same thing to WAITTOKILLAPPTIMEOUT

xiv-DeLeTe ALL TEMP FILES COZ THEY ARE MAJOR SLOWDOWNERS!

xv-STOPPING PROGRAMS THAT OPEN WHEN THE OS BOOTS:

start>>>Run>>>msconfig>>>startup>>>uncheck all the programs u dont want them to boot with ure system.

xvi-IMPORTANT!!!(u'll thank me for this):

How to STOP the error Messages that show without reason at startup:

again start>>>run>>>regedit>>>HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows>>right click on the right and choose newdword ,name it NoPopupsOnBoot and give it a value of 1

xvii-WAY TO SPEED UP THE START MENU:

start>>>menu>>>regedit>>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop>>>look for MENUSHOWDELAY and change its value from 400 to 0,reboot and u'll see the difference.

<><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hope u like and benefit from it all,QUESTIONS R WIDELY WELCOMED.

ReMeBeR:THE FiRsT STeP 2 KNoWLeDGe iS 2 KNoW HoW 2 SHaRe!Smile .

<><><><><><>Written by: Heaven_master_ash<><><><><<><>><><

<><><><><><><><><><Hook me up<><><<><><><><><><><><

Look forward to my next article: Advanced Html:Lesson1 :Working with multimedia.Peace Smile

X----------------------X-----------------------X------------------------X-------------------------X------------------X

If You Like My ths Post Do Rate This And Tell Your Thoughts About This Topic Thanx..

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Quoting your phrase, the first step to knowledge is knowing rules before attempting to commit. If you cannot communicate in plain English, how would you be able to receive the proper feedback and respect? This is your last verbal warning regarding slang and leet usage. The forum rule states everyone to use proper English grammar and spelling. Do not, I repeat, do not use unnecessary characters. Study the lists of bbcodes and you'll find that you can structure your essay with LIST, TAB, HIGHLIGHT etc tags.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Nice post, it can help people who wanna learn how to mess up the registry B) nah it really can help to learn to manage the registry, its very needed.
I actually for boost my Internet conecction or for improve my PC performance I use some kind of programs, i dont wanna need to reinstall Windows messing up my registry lol
Ill give ya all some links <_<

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
There you can find the popular ''TCP optimizer'' which boost up your net speed. Also there you can find the registry patches (scroll down) and the only thing to do with those is download 'em and click them :P

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Thats an award winning program that will improve your PC performance. It has lost of features that improve each section of your PC :D i use it and its one of my favorites

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Another PC booster program, its very known.

Well I Dont Put >> --- XX For Credits I Put This For Quality Of Post Which Very Neccessary Bcause They Can Unterstand Only If The Quality of Post Is Good

to me, the post is crapy, no offense but the excessibve <><><><<< just dont fly.... like buffalohelp said, study the BBcode's, you cna use center, left, right alignment, there is a tab....

Although you did get some ideas through in your post, you missed some pretty big ones. Also, some of those you mentioned wouldn't even help that much, if at all. One of the most common but effective ways to speed up your computer is by defragmenting your harddrive, as you didn't mention. This will move all your files, including the ones that are out of place, into a small portion of your harddrive so it doesn't have to scan thousands of files on your harddrive in different places but instead, can scan in one place where they all are and can create less loading times on your computer. To do a Disk Defragment, go to Start-Programs (or All Programs)-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Defragment. Defragment your C: Drive (your main computer drive) or any other harddrive you need to such as external harddrives or even large flash drives. You can also eliminate computer start-up times by stopping all your programs from opening all at once when you log in to Windows. You can do this by going to Start-Run-msconfig. Then select the Startup tab at the top and if you see any programs you don't need starting up when your computer is booted, unselect them. Note that some programs don't match the label given. For instance I think Quicktime is labeled as qttask. Also remember that you MUST NOT unselect everything, as you are playing around with your startup files. Not only do programs start but some important Windows files do also. So 9 times out of 10 if you don't recognize the name of the label given, you shouldn't touch. Yet one way to tell is to look at the location where the files is at. Like how I said that qttask is Quicktime? You should note that the location is in your Quicktime folder so you know that it's Quicktime. One last thing you could do is running a program that checks your registries for errors, that way it can fix them and your computer and its programs will run faster than before. I ran a program like that on a computer once (not mine) and it found 185 errors and fixed them all, which boosted the speed of the computer greatly.

hey i did it and it was a great help. but the only thing i real need is to make it faster when i have more programs running. my computer seems to slow down when i have some big programs running (more than 1) is there a way to fix that?

This post was meant to help? Could have fooled me..... Your options to have it run faster don't do a thing for my computer and the most basic ones along with some more advance and yet simple ones were still not listed. I'm not the world's best computer tech but I sure know how to make a better helping post about such a simple topic than the one above. Not to offend anyone or anything as I am not like that....

my computer seems to slow down when i have some big programs running (more than 1)
is there a way to fix that?

Sounds like you got small RAM or a slow Proscessor. There are RAM booster programs out there in the internet, try one.

Ashwani, your guides are helpful but you added silly stuff like >>,--,XX and simple stuff that even 3 yr old kiddos know like the shadows things to get more credits?This might earn you more credits but this is surely bringing down your rep.Anyways, nice guide, contained somethings which I didn't know and I always wanted to do manual things as I found it stupid to add more software to make your PC run faster!

This post was meant to help? Could have fooled me..... Your options to have it run faster don't do a thing for my computer and the most basic ones along with some more advance and yet simple ones were still not listed. I'm not the world's best computer tech but I sure know how to make a better helping post about such a simple topic than the one above. Not to offend anyone or anything as I am not like that....

Well, it's still useful to us, although, yeah, he did tend to omit stuff about defragmenting and made an army of <'s and >'s. Sure, give constructive criticism as much as you wish but if you'd say something along the lines of "Oh, that is so below me," or, "I can do better than that," then, by all means, feel free to do so in your own thread instead of other people's threads.

I mean, the guy's just trying to help and this is what people get for their efforts?

xiv-DeLeTe ALL TEMP FILES COZ THEY ARE MAJOR SLOWDOWNERS!

Oh, by the way, temp files are actually there to speed up your system. Those kinda files eat hard drive space more than processor cycles. Oh and please refrain from typing in CaMeL or ALL CAPS; it is simply barbaric and totally uncivilized.

How much of this actually works?I'd rather not tweak areas that shouldnt be messed with if its going to Muck up another area on my comp. I've probably tried 101 ways to improve it but i guess it can only done proffesionally, - because that way you can trust that your not messing anything up in the long run & that it IS actually doing something, i dunno.. has this worked for anyone in particular? =/ i wouldnt bother, no offence, nice tips though mate, slightly confusing with all the funky >>xx but thanks anyway I might look into it because my comp has deff. slowed down because of the amount of usage & programs i run,..

Things that really make computer "faster". I put "faster" in quotes beacouse none of those things make your programs faster just a bit more stable. Disableing some of those services can mess some of the windows properties if user might need them.

Here are few basic things to have stable and neat windows XP

1. 512 Mb RAM at Least

2. Windows installed in partition made specifically for windows and not any other program, with 10Gb of disk space available.

3. Limiting Virtual Memory to 1Gb MAX and MIN size (Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced Tab , choose Performance Settings --> Advanced Tab, under virtual memory chose change.)

You can chose partition for virtual memory, and if you are a real freak you can even partition your hard drive to have special partition for virtual memory (use at least 2Gb, for 1Gb couse of those annoying XP ballon tips showing lack of disk space if you use exactly 1Gb or a bit more). Chose same size for maximum and minimum, the best ratio is double your RAM (if you have 128 choose 256, for 256 choose 512..) But if you have 2Gb of RAM you probably don't even need virtual memory, and if you set it you don't need more than 2Gb, couse max memory limit for 32 bit computers is 4Gb. NOTE: After you set your virtual memory you will need to restart your computer!

4. Use Disk Defragment to Defragment partitions in which you run programs often (especially Windows partition, most often C: ). You can download special Defragmenting tools or just use windows standart located at (ALL programs, Accesories, system tools --> Disk Defragment)

5. Also, the smartest thing to do is to make special partition for your Programs And Games, and for "static" files like MP3, Video etc.. You most often use only 20% of your hard drive for Programs And Games, and Rest for "static" content.

If you have hard drive of 120Gb and use only 10 for Windows and 110 for the rest, when you come to defragment those 110 Gb it can take a lot (and trust me LOT's) of time. So use about 20-30Gb for your games and programs..

Small notice..

This things i mentioned are NOT going to make your computer faster, but are going to help you to have fast and stable computer for a long period of time.

Also when uninstalling software use Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs, couse that deletes those programs from Windows Registry (winkey+r , type regedit). Large registry can make your computer go much slower.

Also, changing windows services, and tweaking registry are rearly going to make your computer go faster, it can do that for a short period of time, but trust me, for some time weird errors are going to pop-up and sooner or later you will have to format your C drive.

If you are going to experiment with those things, try it but after that try some of the things i mentioned here, and you will see the real result.

Smart, and neat user creates smart and neat (fast and stable) computer!

Respect, and thanks for all the fish :P

some of what you said will make the computer faster when only one program is working. but windows os is designed to be multitask so when you have 2 programs running it will be the same as before without the tweakspaging file is one i know that really works. and maybe overclocking if your a pro.