xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mjay06

Websites - What Do You Think Is Important?

I'm sat here uploading content to my site, & it occured to me I may be going over the top a bit. I dont want to confuse members with masses of options, but then I want to offer plenty to keep them interested.So what (as a member) would you like to see?I currently have things like an arcade with high score tables, hot or not section, shop, java shoutbox etc, all the usual stuff like news sections, guestbook, photo albums, forums, news feeds...I still have plenty I want to add, put what would be important to you? Im asking as if you are viewing this you must have a vague idea of what people will like :)

I think all of this stuff is fine as long as they can return back to whatever else they want to see. So just make sure you have clear, easy to find navigation. Of course you don't want to have a huge list of links though that people have to read through in order to find that one section so break it off into bigger sections and on mouseover have it expand or something like that into smaller categories in that section. Sort of like for Community you would have it expand to a list including forums, news, or anything in which people can interact.

Im limited in so far as phpnuke will allow me to simplify it. Ive been playing around with making specific modules for different sections, rather than using the standard huge nuke user menu.I want to avoid having so much content in the menus that people dont see everything. A 'cant see the wood for the trees' kinda thing.

Edited by Mjay06 (see edit history)

Have you considered using Javascript in your menus so that you can make submenus? That should alleviate much of the problem. You would however have to update menus manually. That isn't that bad to update either.

One of the best things i think you should do is host a poll on your website and ask the visitors what they think you need to do. Its giving them the choice and you want them to keep coming back to your site.

i think a lottery system would be cool. I have seen other people use it. They have money and then you set a date like a week from that day. Then if the person picked the right amount they get more money for the store.

I am having a system on my site where points earned in the forums/arcades/quiz can be spent in the site shop.I had thought about a lottery system where people can win say, 1000/5000/10000 points if they buy a ticket for 100 points.I've thrown the idea around a bit & it seems quite popular so far.

ive found that my users particularly like a messages system. They like the ability to talk to each other without it being broadcasted for everyone to see... If your interested but dont know where to find one i could give you mine. it uses a flatfile database system with one php page and however many text files depending on the number of users (a slight setback but i could change it to one text file for all if youd like). Message systems are a plus just pm me if ur interested (sorry not trying to spam)...

The most important part of any site is the content, as that is unique. Any site can get a shoutbox or lottery etc, but only your site has your content, ideas and services, so make sure they are the main feature and not overshadowed by anything. To solve the problem of thousands of modules down the side, why not have a "Hide" link which uses javascript to hide modules, leaving just the title and a "Show" link. Then, if a user doesn't use a module, they don't have to see it.Panzer also has the right idea, by simply asking your members. Do some market research and simply ask members what they would like to see happen to the site. You can either leave it completely open and just say "What do you want?" and welcome any comments, or run polls on specific features.

I would say it depends on the content of your site some sites can get away wth alot of options and some can't it just depends what your site is about and how you want to lay it out !!

yeah. always keep in mind why the visitor is on your site to begin with. if it is purly for information then keep the page simple black and white text with maybe a simple html design so tis quick loading. if its a personal webpage then add all the things that are like your personalitiy. if its a business site then focus on gettng the customer to canontact you - ad copy, email address.