xisto Community
Webber

Is It Really That Odd!? Is martial arts really that odd???

Why is it that everytime I walk down the street in my martial arts uniform I can feel everyone looking at me, and occasionally you'll get a wise crack from some one around your own age. I mean -- is it really that odd? You dont stare and put someone into a sureal state of mind because there wearing a football top, or a rugby kit, or holding a tennis racket, but as soon as you wear martial arts uniform you'll never hear the end of it. I mean -- people who take the p***... I mean.. how stupid can you get really?? Taking the p*** out of a black belt, I mean why do it? What is the need? I mean (sorry to use labels) but it's only chavs, most probably because they are so insecure all the time, and they spend all their time talking about fighting, and when someone that actually knows how to comes along they have to try and shout them down?? I mean, everyone watches you like your either a criminal or your naked.. I mean, I'd get less attention if I was walking around naked, I mean what is so odd, it's clothing for a martial art -- it's not that odd. Even the police stopped me the other day for wearing a standard martial arts uniform, and they were asking loads of questions like were I'd been, and why I was wearing it. I mean - I explained - I'm a martial artist, I've been training, it's only clothes but it took ages to get it into their heads. I mean... what is their problem?? It's not that bad surely? It doesn't look to out of line does it?? I mean - take a look, then carry on, it shouldn't effect you so much that you actually stop what your doing and stare, i mean literally stare... oo it makes me so angry, especially when you get wise cracks. The other day I was walking back in my ninjitsu uniform, and some one went come on then ninja boy then ran to their car and drove off, I mean - literally run.. I'm not a criminal for goodness sake. And what is the point in saying something like that and then running.. I mean what do they achieve??? ... few.. That's better.. Thanks for your time.

I understand that too. I used to go right from karate to church youth group. People would talk and stuff but that was about it. People get over it. Just play it off with a smile. If they come too close, you can always pund them into Sorry I have no other words for you.... You really should have had to explain it to anyone. It is your business and the police shouldn't have even cared. They keep doing it, you go and talk to someone of higher power at the station and see what they get for judging you. It's just as you siad, it's just clothes.

Yeah, I'm totally sure you're a ninja and not just a random anime nerd using stuff from Naruto. I totally believe you. You're so not lying. If I see anybody walking down the street inside of a martial arts uniform, I can safely assume they're either 12 years old or have the mentality of one. Not even people who conventionally practice it and take it seriously walk around in a robe and belt. Guess what? It's not October. Stop trick or treating.

Listen up, Karate Kid. People are looking at you because you look like a dumbass. Tennis, Basketball, all of those are conventional sports. You walking down the street in a bright white gi ( or whatever the *BLEEP* they call that *BLEEP* ) is bound to get attention. Quite simply, if I saw you down the street, I'd not only harass you. I'd steal your lunch money, too.

Not to bust your balls or anything, but i mean come on. If i was in track and i walked home in those short shorts i would expect people to look at me. I don't because i look like an idiot. Please don't complain about things that are obviously odd. I'm not saying karate is stupid i am just saying if you are walking around in that outfit expect people to look at you. I know i would look twice at you.

I know how you feel,I used to be in the same situation as you.Every where i went there was some one to stare.That went on for a few years until i got my balck belt then for some reason it all stoped.I think because of my black belt they knew i was a pro so they didnt tease me.I remeber the one night It was my belt test I was in green belt moving to blue and I was walking down the street and two guys came up to me and said "Heres a ninja turle walking towards us" I felt like hitting them but it was my test night so I just left them.

lol Well you know, people are expected to stare at people that look uncommon or are dressed in something you normally wouldn't wear everyday. It isn't really that big of a deal but ya you normally don't see people walking around in karate outfits anymore unless they are on their way to the gym or whatever. I know it isn't nice to laugh and what not but they just want to get on your nerves so you respond so just ignore them, and if you really are good at karate you can go show off some moves.

i don't think it's that wierd, but I'm sure you really stand out wearing the karate uniform... if possible, I wouldn't wear it in public... I mean, really, it is kinda odd if you're the only one doing it....

I believe that the reason people do that is because they take an interest in things that make them curious. They like it when interesting things happen, such as a car crash, or people looking funny. When something like that happens, they just can't keep themselves from showing their dark side, which is the side that makes people think they like you do Webber.

Its unusual to see someone in a martial arts uniform...tennis and basketball are pretty much common nowadays, but martial arts...well, thats different. Alot of people I know dont go "Dude! I gotta go home to watch the martial arts show!" mainly because, I dont even know if they have one, and its not a huge thing.

I'd have high-fived the guys who made the Ninja Turtle reference because that's seriously funny.

If It was now I would kick both their asses since I'm done with karate,back then I would of gotten suspended from the acdamy for fighting.

Role playing Naruto ninja stuff at them really doesn't qualify as **bottom**-kicking. If you were to kick their **bottom**, you'd have to wear something manly before doing it or even thinking of wearing names. I guarantee a robe is not manly.

Well, I suppose that the reason why everybody looks at you wierdly is because you almost never see people walking around in their martial arts uniforms. Most of the people who practice that sport, change their clothes after their practice in the martial arts school looker room or rest room. Unless they are little kids who go with their parents. Thats probably the reason why nobody sees anyone with a martial art uniform.

Like they say... When in Rome, do as the Romans do...Though I agree with most people here. It IS eye-catchy and I most definitely will stare or take 2 glances at someone who's wearing one walking across the street (unless they're right next to their dojo). Anyway, I suggest you change your clothes before leaving if you're bothered about it too much.