xisto Community
Mjay06

Noisy Hard Drive

My pc hard drive has always been a bit of a clanker, but it seems to have aquired a new & disturbing noise when processing things. Its not any slower than it was before, & doesnt crash or anything (well no more than anything else running XP)Can I expect it to self-destuct in the near future, & start backing everything up?

it wouldn't hurt if you start backing up the soonest anyway. that hard disk of yours can die on you anytime (which what happened to me a few months back -- okay the last time i used it, then on next bootup it simply won't read the disk any longer).in any case, check to see that your hard drive is mounted properly and tightly -- at least to minimize the noise. at some point, if it is loosely screwed onto your casing, the noise can become amplified.

That is the sure sign of disintegration of the Hard Disk. I suggest you to backup the datas as soon as possible. With machine anything can happen anytime, you never know next time you switch On your computer who knows you will not find yourself staring at the unwanted Blue Screen for the first time? It does happen anytime after a Hard Disk start making noises all over.

Certainly hard drive noise is a problem. But I believe you have warrantee for the drive and the companies often replace faulty hard drives very easily. If warranty is not there get a new hard drive and use the old one as a removable drive(by adding a usb-to-IDE adapter). And ya backup is not a bad idea!

you should defineately backup your hard drive. hard drives are funny like that they will make these funny noises and stuff for a very long time and work at 100 percent but then one day out of no where it is going give up the ghost and then if you have not backup it could be really annoying. And more likely than not it will be just when you really need the data on the drive it will die neevr to work again. I once had a hard drive that would make a hell of a noise while it was working and sometimes it would stop spinning while i was using it and the only way to get it going again was to give it a good nock with spanner or screw driver and then it would be fine till it stopped spinning again. the hard drive continued to work like this for about a year but then it died in a big way there was a burning smell after it died and when i opened it it seemed like the motor to spin it had siezed. But i did save all my stuff when started doing that because they are so tempramental.

yeah hard drives are a strange thing, i've had ones that have made noises for many years and still work now, and others that have died without making a noise within the first few months of getting them, even if you don't think theres a problem with your hard drive its always a good idea to have backups of everything just in case something bad does happen.

Well Hardrives in themselves make noised because it is spinning and accessing data. When hard drives start making more noise than normally, that usually means that either it is getting too hot, or that the platters are becoming damaged. I would back up all your data now, and replace the hard drive. It's better to be safe, than sorry!

It would be better if you start taking backup of all data from this point onwards coz you never know when your hard drive may give up on you. Increased noises while operating are a sign that the hard drive is degenerating and ideally requires backup. Now it doesnt mean that drives that dont make any noise are perfect as I have seen reasonably silent hard drives crashing up as well.

It's better to be safe than sorry. I'd recommend you back-up your files because you don't know when it might die on you one day. Happened to me before... and it wasn't pretty. It's also pretty hard to try and recover the files on a harddrive. It's inevitable too, so...

My pc hard drive has always been a bit of a clanker, but it seems to have aquired a new & disturbing noise when processing things.
Its not any slower than it was before, & doesnt crash or anything (well no more than anything else running XP)

Can I expect it to self-destuct in the near future, & start backing everything up?

first,I want to introduce myself. My name is Iervan. I a new member in this Forum.so I think, I need help for you.( Pleassssse............!!!!!)
yesterday,my Harddisk have a problem similar as,and the Computer Technical suggestion to check the Platter,and it right. So,please check your Platter's Harddisk..........

You defininetly need to back up your data and get a new harddrive asap. Once a harddrive starts making noise, it will die very soon and this is a known fact. IF the drive dies before you can back up the data, try throwing it into the freezer for a few hours and then try again. This normally allows you to use the drive for 15 minutes or so before it dies again.

Depending on how important this computer is to you, you should either go out and buy a new hard drive or continue using this drive until it gives out. And of course new sounds from you computer mean that you could be doing backups for sure.I really like the suggestion by mynitr of making you drive a USB drive, or another option would a to make it a slave drive that you keep things that you are not changing and have already backed up. ie: music, pictures, videos...Personally I would continue to use the drive but then my computer's files are always backed up and and am too broke to get a new drive at the slightest sound.

I believe hard disks are noisy for two reasons. And I'm not a computer expert here. But what I think is, it's either that your hard disk is pretty old and the other reason could be that your computer is low on resources so windows is using your hard disk as a temporary cache on a regular basis. So that causes a lot of data entry and deletion simultaneously. Hard disk in that case has to work a lot and there is a lot of noise.