xisto Community
Panzer

My New Computer Ive finally gotten it

Well, my Dad and i bought it off a New Zealand internet auction site (trademe). Luckily the seller lived in the same town we do. Anyway im not going to say how much it was, just that it was between 200-400 US Dollars.The main specs are2.0GHz768mg RAM (Upgrading in future)40gb Harddrive (Upgrading asap)CD Writer and DVD reader64mb video card (upgrading in future)It has 7 different media bays for video cameras etc. LAN card, Internal modem card, Audio card, 2 USB ports at front and 4 (i think) at back. Both run at 2.0x speed.Comes already with XP Pro and Office 2003 but i will get Vista after i upgrade RAM and when it comes out! Also comes with a few games.Id like to say a big thanks to everyone that replied to my other thread, your information helped ALOT and ill let you know how it gets on in the future.

'grats on your purchase mate. Looks a bit outdated to me, but as long as it suits your purposes it should do fine (whether that processor will be able to run Vista well is another thing). Let us know when you're upgrading :)

great dude but your system is a little bit outdated for the present softwares and games. Now a days a 3GHz HT Processor is a bare minimum.

HMMMM Afordable..... :P

that was GREAT. maybe as comparison in Indonesia nowday the price is very high, because our curency(Rupiah) is getting lower.

a week ago my frenz buy new PC the SPec are:

Pentium4 M 3.0 GHz

Ram 512 mb

Lite-On Combo Drive (CD, CDRW, DVDrom)

VGA (graphc Card) Ge Force 9250 128 mb

Hard Disk 80 GB

monitaor 17 inch LG Flat

Casing Simbada Simcool 5 fans

thats All is Rp.5.200.000 (or 500 US Dollar) its Quiet expensive :)

How ever outdated it might be 200-400 buck is an awesome price for a 2gig processor with 768MB RAM and Office 2003. The RAM and Office are actually quite expensive buying both of those would have cost you almost 300 dollars US. So you did get a good start on upgrading your computer.

Unfortunetly office didnt actually come with it, although the shortcut icons were on the desktop the guy had taken them off. I got office for free anyway through my mum, who works at school so its 100% legal.

Upgrading an old computer is not that easy since it uses memory modulles like SDRAM.They are hard to find and if you have found them sometimes the mainboard doesn't accept them.For the basic stuff your computer is sufficient , maybe changing the graph card will be a needed upgrade.A graphcard of 64 MB is not very recent, but here you have also some types of interfaces.PCI or AGP 4x and AGP 8x , the newer card are now PCI -express with your mainboard doesn't support.So before buying something to upgrade download the manual of your mainboard and look out for what it supports , not all components can be used.

Mum's old computer was bought in 1997 and it had 32mb of RAM so it was a bit lacking.. She wouldnt let me install any games on her laptop so i just got my own one..

Sounds a bit like mine. I bought a desktop for $200, upgraded to 766 MB of RAM and it already had like a 80 GB hard drive so I didn't upgrade. I then bought a better graphics card. That sounds like a decent computer. Probably good enough to play some games on it, might get some lag online but it shouldn't be too bad. Probably like mine. I plan on upgrading as well if I can earn some extra cash.

It depends on your need. Even though you have super strong computer meaning a very high configuration computer if you are not going to use its potential its a waste of money. That sort of configuration is quite good enough for a webmaster. It will be quite enough. But the storage capacity could be a little bit more increase. Let's say about 80GB Hard disk space. And the good thing about Desktop is that you can upgrade whenever needed unlike many laptops where upgrade is not an easy task.

it is quite a good buy when it comes to price but from the specs you gave it will not be easy to find parts to upgrade espicially the processor if you do you will more likely than not have to buy second hand or end up paying alot more than some better processors because of how old it is.

I installed 512mb of RAM in. Unfortunetly the 3 RAM slots i had were each taken up by 256's. But now ive got 1gb of RAM and the speed is noticably faster. Unfortunetly the Motherboard has a Socket A socket!!! So im maxed out at a 2GHz processor.