xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
aka-2

How To Avoid The Bandwidth Robbery How to avoid the bandwidth robbery

Thanks for this nice tutorial :) I'm currently thinking of doing something like this, because I get much traffic from hotlinked pictures. There are no disadvantages, or?

Not a bad tutorial. When I get the time, I'd be interested to replace a standard "no hot linking" image with a custom made image from Photoshop. Some "no hotlinking" images have been funny from time to time.

It's really annoying, though and it doesn't matter unless both you and the site that linked to your picture get lots of traffic. Some people (such as myself) like to have referrers turned off and if a page is full of "NO HOTLINKING" images I'll just leave immediately.

Sometimes, some people link directly to images in your host. This people is robbering you bandwidth. To avoid this only have to write some code lines in your .htaccess file in your host root:

There is another thing you can do. You can also show an image you want instead linked images. So the people that has been robbering you bandwidth will take a surprise. Just ad this to code:

I hope you enjoy this.

Thanks for the INFO