xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Google Sketchup why isnt it listed as a sub-topic?

I just found myself in this area of the forums for the very first time in my stay here with Xisto... at least i think.... but i was supprized that one of the google services subfoums, that i was sure to be there, wasnt there! Google sketchup. I don't know how popular it is yet, but it's a free 3d modeling program by google. After modeling you can dump your models into google earth (thats why i put this topic here), and share your buildings with the world!

Unfortunatly google sketchup seems to be mainly designed for google earth. There is no rendering, so you cant use the images anywhere else, you can import c4d or 3ds files, (maby maya too i forget), but you can't export to them.

A good thing about sketchup is its very basic and easy to use. I personaly use cinema 4D to make 3d modles, and sketchup is much easier, but has less functionality.

I just thought i'd bring the knowledge of sketchup to these forums, because i see no topics or boards on it. Maybe everybody already knows about it, and are just not posting. I don't know, but heres the link just incase you want to model your own stuff!

***Google's Sketchup- Click Here***

Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

It looks like a good little modelling program, and various friends have said that it is very easy to work with. However, not being able to export designs as image files is a big problem if you want to use your work for anything. Plus the heightened level of simplicity means that some advanced features have disappeared.

I'm not sure about pro. Google is offering google sketcuhp pro, which costs money, it may let you export and stuff. I think there is a free trial, i'll have to check it out!

Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

I used Google Sketchup to illustrate a server room I was commissioned to build. The purpose of my illustration was to coordinate the location of two servers in a rack, next to two IP PBX servers, four UPS followed by 24-port L3 switch. All which I was able to mimic with Google Sketchup. Allowing me to draw in exact dimension made it easier for me to place devices without guessing.When my sketch was presented to my clients they understood it immediately. The power of "a picture worth thousand words." They especially enjoyed multiple points of view I was able to create with Google Sketchup. Google Sketchup was not too easy to learn at first but, the fundamental idea was simple enough to be self-taught in about 30 minutes.Although my usage of Google Sketchup was only the tip of the iceberg, the software did the job originally intended. And that's more valuable to me than a program 100 times better than Google Sketchup. Needless to say, I am impressed with Google Sketchup.

I really enjoy this program because it is not too complex for my feeble mind to.. to... interpret.. and use (i think i said that right :D)Well, our school, just about everycomputer has this installed on it, and during the year, you have a project, taht includes google sketchup, its pretty cool :):D good post

I have never actually used this program because i tend to use 3D studio max for 3d models which for me tends to be very infrequently. I do not normally make 3d models even though i create 3d games because there are sooo many free ones available online and thus save me lots of time (and they will look better than mine would any time). I will have to check it out and see if it is easier to use than 3d max