xisto Community
delivi

Google To Expand With Demand

GOOGLE Inc, owner of the most-used Internet search engine, will keep bolstering capital spending as use of its Websites increases, Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt said.
"We will continue to increase our capital expenditure because of the load," Schmidt said at a conference in Idaho. "Many of our systems have been limited by the load we are able to take. There is a lot more stuff we'd like to make available but the load is too great."

California-based Google's spending budget mainly pays for data centers, or large warehouses that contain server computers, he said. Google and rivals Yahoo Inc and Microsoft Corp are boosting capital budgets and searching for data center locations with access to cheap electricity in order to support more users and services, Bloomberg News reported.

Google's capital spending last year was US$838 million, an increase from US$319 million in 2004.

Schmidt cited Gmail, Google's free e-mail service, as a product that's been limited by capacity. Schmidt also said the company plans to add more programming to Google Video, which can also put a strain on networks.

The company is already selling radio ads as part of a plan to capture more revenue from their Internet ad customers by getting into print, radio and television advertising.

Schmidt also said Google's Checkout online payment system doesn't compete with Ebay Inc's PayPal product.

Google makes one or two small acquisitions a week, Schmidt said.

The companies generally have three or fewer employees, the CEO said.

Apart from growing vertically, Google regularly expands horizontally. I can't really confirm the source, but I heard that they're even doing research into being an ISP. Or is that already done? I'll do a little research on that later.

I can Imagine google making its own operating system in a couple of years. The way its growing it will probably be everywhere, Imagine, a google pc with a better look than mac. That would be cool.

Coming into the field of creating Operating Systems by Google would be a slow phase, as I think. This is primarily because Google believes in the various products it generates it's revenue from (Google Earth, Google Labs, and the kind).If they currently even are investing on research for a new Operating System, I doubt that they'll show any signs of progress any sooner. If they shift their concentration to Operating Systems then they might lose out on their products, which currently are their profit-making sources. If they risk that, they risk a lot. Even without an Operating System, Google is hitting heavy to Microsoft, and I think they will want to let it continue that way for a while. Only certain situations may have them dwell into newer products.Although, it wouldn't be a bad idea having a Google OS sitting better than Mac. And if it's Open Source (which I highly doubt), it would be better. <_<

Google will take over the internet. I promise.First they'll keep grinding out all these basic services (search engine, email, maps, purchases, desktop application) and then they'll move to bigger things such as ISP and OS.They're only going to go up, I assure you.