xisto Community
brandice

Broken Air Conditioner hottest day of the year

Last night my brother-in-law was mowing the lawn and he decided to get on his hands and knees to be careful and pull weeds around the air conditioner. Anyway, he ended up pulling all of the wires out of the thing, breaking the air conditioner on the hottest day of the year. He came in the house and said, "does the air conditioner seem to be working ok? Because I was down there and..." he didn't finish. Later he changed his story and said he was no where near the thing. My sister then claimed that the air conditioner has been broken for several days. We would have felt it! She would have been bellyaching long before now!It's just frustrating. Not taking responsibility so you don't have to do anything about fixing it. They could call someone out, but they won't. If I didn't have to worry about my poor dog, I would be sitting in the freezer section of the grocery store or something. I have a way of conserving all of my energy so I can at least try to be a little more comfortable than everyone else. And then they try to make me feel guilty about it. The only thing worse than being miserably hot is having to listen to someone complain about being miserably hot. I try not to say anything. But here I am rambling.

aww that sucks. i would have suggested going somewhere w/ ac, like the mall, but then i read about your dog.. maybe you could stay in the basement, where it's cooler.i hope your brother-in-law takes responsibilty and gets it fixed.. i hate it when people wreck stuff and not fix it or even apologize ><

ahh!!! its so strange ,which ac had you got? we have split ac,the heat box is splited from ac and the heat box is out of the room,so we have one room daily on 25 degree temperature <_<

Air Condition, wow. <_< At least you have one to fix. My husband won't have one, too expensive. He is a tightwad. Thank heaven we live a block up from the shore of Lake Michigan. The breezes come up off the lake ocassionally. Whew!

Ur BIL needs to step up and take responsibility.

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

I try to look on the positive side. It only feels about 100 here. At least I am not in South Dakota or something! I've lost 10 pounds- that's not bad. I've been keeping as hydrated as I can. I have the ability to shut everything down and go into a semi-comfortable coma. On friday afternoon, a day and a half after it happened, he called the insurance company and they told him they would send out an adjuster to see if they would cover it in 1-2 business days. My sister's been complaining that it's going to be 2 business days before they say they aren't going to cover it. So last night, my brother-in-law was talking about how it was amazing that a few little wires could control the air conditioner in the whole house. There must have been something else wrong with the unit! These statements will be funny to me one day.

Woah, that sucks.This guy at my church today was talking about how he took his family to Death Valley the other week.. I haven't been (we're in Toronto), but apparently the lower down you go, the hotter it gets, so that by the time you reach the bottom, it's like the inside of a car you've left outside in the sun for several hours. Fried eggs, anyone?

Well I dont know where you live but if that happened in my house, I dont care if you where my brother in law, if you were alot older than me and bigger than me, Id be swinging quick, if he didnt fix it, cause we are currently starting to get into the low hunderds, very high 90's and it sux even with thte a/c on. And I kid you not, I have it set at about, 80 and that things still stays on all day.

lol One morning when the lawn was being cut my dad wacked the wires with the weed-eater and cut em out. lol It was a 90 degree day that day here in Florida so the temperature in the house will rise fast without air and sometimes hotter then outside. Luckily I was gone for most of the day because the upstairs gets even hotter. I came home to a 87 degree house and the upstairs at 91 degrees. lol I couldn't stand to be up there in the humidity. Of course my dad told everyone what happened and we called the Sears to come fix our air conditioning and it was back to normal by the end oft he day. I know how it feels and it really stinks.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

Well, first of all, I'm 12. <_<You at least HAVE an air conditioner to fix. I don't have one. Doesn't bother me much here. It was around maybe 32-35C (90-95F)here in Northwestern Ontario, hotter with the humidity (humidex levels were at least 39C[102F]).At least we went to Winnipeg, Manitoba for the day and got to stay in a shopping mall for a period of time [until returning to the vehicle]. I broght along a digital Thermometer clip, and left in the car, it read: 40.7C (105.2F). That was extremely hot!The hotel had air conditioning systems which were working to the max. That was a good thing.In the mall I saw a 3 in 1 air conditioning system. $600 CDN. That was expensive, but reasonable because it was portable. My dad seemed interested, but didn't buy it. :|Anyways, hope that your brother fixes the a/c soon. He sounds very irresponsible.

That sucks. That reminds me of a problem with my car's A/C. It sucks because it gave out right in traffic, along with my radiator a little while later. You have to phyiscally spin the left cooling fan like an old airplane propeller to start it. It's probably just as bad as your home A/C problem..

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

The same here it was literally burning in VA 100+. My dog almost melted, she is a black lab and stuff. But our air failed last year on the 2nd floor of our house, and we were pissed off, we had to pay some crazy amount to get it fixed.Good luck thought, and how do you pull a bunch of Air wires out in the first place?

Our neighbor weed whacked the wires a few weeks ago, but I fixed that without a problem. I guess my brother in law didn't want to do the same thing so he ended up pulling the wires out of the inside of the unit with his hands. I still don't know how it happened, and it's still a touchy subject. It's been exactly a week now, and a different brother-in-law is coming to the rescue, he's got a friends who install air conditioners. Such a relief. It should be fixed by the weekend, hopefully.I'm trying to stay positive and not complain. I know there are a lot of people who don't have A/C in the first place who live in hotter places. I was talking to a friend of mine in chicago who hasn't got one, and it was the same temperature there as here the other day.I live in the middle of Texas. So, yeah, it's been pretty hot here. The only times that I've almost lost my mind in this time is when I've tried to get the dogs to drink some water and they won't. I've found that frozen french fries are a lifesaver.

Edited by brandice (see edit history)

Oh jeez, this reminds me of the trauma I had less than a week ago. My family and I were taking a road trip and the A/C broke in the middle of Kansas (because our family has a jinx where EVERY time we drive through there something on the car breaks). So naturally we're in the middle of nowhere with nothing but nasty warm water. It took FOREVER to find a gas station to buy 4 gigantic soft drinks. The gas station happened to have a digital thermometer outside. The temperature? 112 degrees Fahrenheit. NOT FUN.

That's terrible to have to go through something like that and be in the confined space of a car. With a bunch of other people who were all probably complaining. :) I will always remember a camping trip to the Colorado River that my family took when I was a kid. It was very hot and my sister (the one whose husband busted the air conditioner!) got sunburnt and I had to share a tent with her. I don't remember anything about all of the fun we had on that vacation, I just remember her constant bellyaching.The air conditioner people are coming out tomorrow! Exactly 16 days after this all began. I was almost starting to get used to this heat. :P About three days into this mess, I was so miserable that I had to turn down a job interview. I thought there was no way I could get hired anywhere feeling so horrible. I tried to keep a positive attitude about everything, though. Everything works out for the best, things happen for a reason even if it takes a while to figure out what the reason is, all of that stuff. A week went by and I got a call on a different job. Thank goodness the man hired me over the phone! (I did have to go down to sign some papers yesterday) New air conditioner, new job... things might be starting to look up.