xisto Community
braitt

What Is A Transgender? all about transgenders.

Although recent DNA research has shown that everybody appears to start as a female and then develop the male... characteristics...

True, true. I remember my psych teacher once told us about this woman who's been having problems or pains during sexual intercourse with her husband. They went to a doctor and, to cut the long story short, he found out "she" had XY chromosomes. It appeared "her" body was extremely and severely underdeveloped so, while being far from male, she's also not quite female. Our teacher ranted on about the doctor's dilemma: keep quiet about it or say, "Hey, guess what, you're a guy!"

Anyway, I digress but that... err, man, has lived his entire life thinking he was a woman. I was just wondering... is that considered being transgendered?

They will be unhappy and could end up killing themselves if they don't go through with becoming the real gender they are meant to be, so when people say why don't you just stay the gender you were born as, it's not very intelligent because it wont change them from being transgendered. It will just make them very unhappy.

Indeed. Sometimes, I wonder why people bother with labels like "gay", "bi", "transsexual" or "transgendered." While it may be a mental disorder, note that not all mental disorders can or should be "corrected". After all, ain't it rude to say, "Oh, he's autistic, there's something definitely wrong with him." More than "correction", what everyone needs is understanding.

I think I remember my professor defining mental disorder, according to some thick book that served as the standard for psychiatrists, psychologists and psychoanalysts worldwide, to be a condition borne of the workings of the mind that causes distress to one's self and to others. It also disrupts a person's day-to-day life.

From what I see, a transgendered kid does not cause distress to itself or to its supportive parents. Now, I know a lot of people are gonna find problems with that poor child, claiming he has "mental disorder", is "not normal" and wearing the "wrong" clothes. Others may claim that the kid might need "correction", "rehabilitation" or a "cure", otherwise he/she will have nothing in store for him/her but doomsday, fire and brimstone.

It appears, though, that what the world needs is not a "cure" but a dose of tolerance. And to those who love sticking their noses into other people's gender and even sexual orientation (yes, cangor, I definitely may or may not mean you!), perhaps a wiser choice would be to stick their noses elsewhere.

In the first case, the individual worked for a government entity, who had to foot the bill for the horrendously expensive "procedure" of having his sex changed from male to female. This alone was enough to cause some degree of protest from other employees. Especially those who couldn't get said entity to even pay for necessary medical procedures that they needed. Sadly, he/she committed suicide within months of the operation.

In the second case, the individual also chose to have a sex change from male to female. After a few years he/she went on a mad, drug-induced rampage of depositing his own excrement at neighbor's driveways and doorsteps, and it wasn't long after this that he finally took his own life.

Ahh, the controversial gender re-assignment operation. Allow me to share what a fellow homosexual had to say about that:

"Of course he'd feel depressed! He just had his thing cut off, now where is he gonna find pleasure? He's gonna be in heat for the rest of his life but never find release, poor guy!"

While I do not agree that it is all about sex, the more I think about it, the more it does make sense. Poor guy!

The axiom, "Leave well enough alone," takes on new meaning in these cases.

Hmmn... I know you meant, "Leave well enough alone (stop fiddling with your gender!)" but it could also mean, "Leave well enough alone (stop fiddling with our gender!)" Just a side note, though :(

No, I'm just gay. I'm not transgendered; I'm still a guy (a gentleman, some girlfriends say) who politely yields his bus seat to women :P

A very strange idea indeed. And you learned it from Oprah? Not the best place for learning but not the worst either. I've always wondered what it must feel like to be transgendered. I'm not saying I want to be a woman (i'm a man) but I just never understood what it would feel like to be trapped in the wrong body. Many trasgendered people have (like transexuals) changed their appearance to better fit their needs.One of the cases I can think about is the female twin (whom i've seen on shows like Maury, Dr. Phil, etc.) who felt like a man so had surgery to become one. His (or her?) family accepted this fact and haven't shunned him. His sister is still jsut as close as when they were the same sex and their parents still love both of them the same. The male (who used to be female) now takes testostorone for voice and hair.....and couldnt be happier.It's just not for me though.

I think I saw something about this on MSNBC or MTV's Truelife or something like that. It just means that they have the reproductive system of one gender but look and have the personality of the opposite gender. I only caught a few minutes since I thought it was kind of weird and I was flipping through channels.

Just like a child who is born with any other abnormality, you would like to correct it. If a child was born blind, would you not try to fix it? Would it not be better off?
Abnormalities need to be corrected. If they are not, it only leads to suffering.

Ok so please let us know on how you would solve this issue. It is not a physical disorder like blindness or a broken limb. It is a hormonal and psychological thing and the mind is hundred times much more sensitive then the body. You cant just curb the child or tie him up or send him to church and you think that the problem would be solved? The only result you will get is that the child would stop telling you its feelings and get even more confused and might take a drastic step like suicide or drugs...

There is a possibility that a female mentality is "put" into a male body? Give me a break. That is a MENTAL DISORDER. If you have a male body but think you are a girl stuck in a male body, you have an identity problem. This mental disorder must be corrected.
Just because it "happens" doesn't mean it should be accepted. Just like i said before, if a kid was born with only 1 leg, it is obvious that it would be better if the kid had 2 legs. What happens? People give the kid a prosthetic leg.

Now, you may say that a gender change operation will "fix" the problem but I disagree. The problem is not with the body but it is with the BRAIN. Just because it is EASIER to fix the body doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

I am stumped with this reply on why do you have a problem with them living the life they choose. We have only alternative on fixing the problem...Sex change and if it makes them happy then why not? If you can give a prosthetic leg to a child to make him happy then why not transgender kids who would love to have a life that they choose and deserve.

I never seem to hear people complaining about celebrities having all kinds of operations...What if they started changing their sexes? I do not think they would be targeted in a negative manner but they would be shown in a very sympathetic light

interesting, this is new to me ^^ i've thought transgenders and transsexuals were the same due to my lack of knowledge. its understandable for transgenders to change their gender if they were a guy in a girl's body and vice versa. can't imagine how they feel being a male or female in the wrong body =\ must be real hard for them...

If this split of brain and body developement happens in utero, how can one just "get on with life". One has to deal with the disablities that they have been dealt. They seek relief from their disablities with modern medicine.

So, from my limited experience of this phenomenon, it seems the individuals in question were troubled from the start, and perhaps they thought a sex-change would make everything better. But instead, it seemed to have the opposite effect. The axiom, "Leave well enough alone," takes on new meaning in these cases.

Maybe the two people you were talking about were troubled, but that does not mean every transgenered person is troubled. Perhaps it was misjudgement from their psychologist, for letting them have the operation. As they need to live as the opposite gender they were born as for awhile before they can even being considered for surgery. But at the same time, people of the hetrosexual and homosexual community tend to frown on transsexuals and so they never feel comfortable with whoever they are around, because so many people treat them poorly, so its a good chance people made them crazy or depressed, and the actual fact that they were transgendered had little to do with why they killed themselves

Anyway, I digress but that... err, man, has lived his entire life thinking he was a woman. I was just wondering... is that considered being transgendered?
"Of course he'd feel depressed! He just had his thing cut off, now where is he gonna find pleasure? He's gonna be in heat for the rest of his life but never find release, poor guy!"

I don't think she would be considered transgendered, because even though she was told she was female, and was male, she apparently was fine with being 'female', her brain was female, and her body parts appeared female. But i think if she knew she was male, and wanted to be male and have correct male parts, than yeah i think she would be transgender. If that makes sense?

I think when they do the surgery, they reconfigure everything to work as much like a 'real' female part, which i guess would include being able to have an orgasm, as they want it as real as possible.
Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

being TranssexualWhat Is A Transgender?

Hi, I'm a  male to female Transsexual, upon reading some of these responses on here I can see that allot of people are still totally clueless!  Someone who's born with gender Identity disorder, Gender Dysphoric, Transsexual, Transponder what ever anyone may want to "label" it as can not simply ignore this birth defect & get on with life, also being "straight" has nothing to do with Gender Identity at all. Being heterosexual, homosexual, Bisexual, lesbian all have to do with sexual orientation, Understanding Orientation as being between ones legs where Gender Identity is between the ears might be an easier way of looking at.  A gay males sexual orientation is that he likes being with the same sex, emotionally & sexually with his gender Identity intact as being male in mind & body. A male who's Gender Identity is female in his male bodied mind & his sexual orientation identifying female as well also likes being with males, "her" sexual orientation is identified as straight. There are gender dysphoric Transsexuals though who's sexual orientation can be Gay, I consider myself a straight orientated female & since I'm on hormones & having had sexual reassignment surgery am female mentally & physically too. I like being with straight men. Now if your not confused enough yet try this as well, before I had my sexual reassignment surgery Gay males wanted to be with me, after, they want nothing to do with me, I never liked being with gay males & they weren't who I sought out yet while I was transitioning before surgery, straight males wanted nothing to do with me. This only shows one of the problems a Gender Identity discorded person has to live with, how easy do you think it would be to "just get on" with life?  Transgenders are born into a life of hell from jump street,  Normal to me was behaving like a little girl from the go, before I could even understand that girls acted like this & boy's acted like that, I was born & just was who I was, my problems all started when everyone around me thought & said I was different because I didn't behave the way they saw me,  heres whats really scary, everyone was so worried I was going to be gay because of how I behaved, back then, being Gay was unacceptable behavior, there wasn't any gay rights movements yet, and Gender disorders? not even a thought.  Now I'm seen as a women, I don't act any different then I always have, no body thinks I'm gay, a lesbian or a transsexual. I'm seen as who I've always been. Accepted without question. Unless of course I tell someone that once I had a penis, then, I'm seen as something else & who I am once again becomes unimportant.  Kinda makes you wonder though, who really has the problem? 

-reply by glynne

A transgendered person is basically a certain type of gender person who prefers to dress or act like the opposite gender.. maybe its more complicated than that...but if you go on youtube and search for Chris Crocker, he's like the epitome of it :(

Don't get me wrong okay, I'm not a transgender, I'm straight okay.
You can always hear transexuals, as we all know transexuals are people who undergoes operations to change their sexualities. It may seem similar to transgender, but it has a close but different meanings.

TRANSGENDER are people who, at a young age feels that they were born on the wrong type of body. Example:
- 4 year old boy who is insisting that he is not a boy but a girl born in the wrong kind of body.
- 7 year old girl insisting that she is not actually a girl but a boy trapped in a girls body. and her parents wouldn't let her to be what she wants to instead, she wrote a letter to her parents threatening her own life saying, mom and dad, i don't wanna be like this, i know that you can't let me be a real boy so maybe it will be a lot easier if i'll be dead and be in heaven. so her parents let her be what she wanted to be, a boy.

**actually we can't blame them for being that. because--

researchers say that the "transgenderness" happened when the baby is still in the mother womb. it happened during the first quarter of the development of the baby. It's brain developed being a girl or a boy but it's body developed opposite of that of the brain. so what happens is that when the child has gained conciousness about itself, they start to think that they were born on the wrong kind of body.

**so we reaalllly can't blame them because it's not there fault to be transgender and by being trangender, they eventually begin to undergo operations to make them what they think they were. cause it will be easier to change the body than the brain. so as i said, they become transexual.

(i learned all that in OPRAH!)

according to me transgender is something which is related to surgery on humans private parts.
as you said, few have a feeling that they should have felt it better to be in an opposite gender,
however I feel, surgery isnt the only solution, better results can be acheived by changing the humans thinking. proper guidance and good support leads to healthy life.

according to me transgender is something which is related to surgery on humans private parts. as you said, few have a feeling that they should have felt it better to be in an opposite gender,
however I feel, surgery isnt the only solution, better results can be acheived by changing the humans thinking. proper guidance and good support leads to healthy life.

You can't change this type of "thinking". All humans in the womb grow through the early stages of development as female. At a certain point in development, a protein cascade activates the Y chromosome, allowing for the expression of the genes that are responsible for male characteristics, which in turn turn off and suppress their female counterparts.

If the morphogen cascade fails at some point, it may only affect the ectoderm, causing the brain and nervous system to differentiate into a different gender than the rest of the body.

Male and female brains are not identical, and have many dissimilarities. These physical differences cannot be reconciled by "changing the humans thinking" any more than if you tried to grow a sixth finger on your left hand by thinking it.

You can't change this type of "thinking". All humans in the womb grow through the early stages of development as female. At a certain point in development, a protein cascade activates the Y chromosome, allowing for the expression of the genes that are responsible for male characteristics, which in turn turn off and suppress their female counterparts.
If the morphogen cascade fails at some point, it may only affect the ectoderm, causing the brain and nervous system to differentiate into a different gender than the rest of the body.

Male and female brains are not identical, and have many dissimilarities. These physical differences cannot be reconciled by "changing the humans thinking" any more than if you tried to grow a sixth finger on your left hand by thinking it.

you are right. but its bit deeper than i expected it to be. well thanks for the information.
I dont know much about these type of humans, but as far as what i have heard, they are pschyic.
lots of imbalances cause such type of changes.
correct me if i am wrong.

Renewing of the MindWhat Is A Transgender?

This whole thing of transgender as I have heard it also on Oprah is children who believe they are trapped in a body of a boy or girl but their mind says God made a mistake. This paticular child was born a boy and believed he was suppose to be a girl. The saddest story I have heard. The parent succomed to the child which I can understand because of the fact the parent was tramatized and did not have the spiritual knowledge to pray her child through it. God makes no mistakes. Satan wants to steal, kill, and destroy our children and we need to take a stand. God will heal their minds if parents refuse to accept it. I know from an experience I encountered with a child and I prayed that child through feelings that were unnatural. In Romans 12 it says " And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the RENEWING of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 

-reply by d.Benitez

First of all, I have to say I disagree with Oprah completely.Second of all, I do not believe in the whole "I was born this way" thing.They are also trying to claim murderers are born that way, so it's not their fault they kill. They say gays are born that way, so it's not their fault, etc.I just believe everyone has their own choice(s) in life and they need to quit trying to pin them off on other people.